I Tracked Down The Girls Who Bullied Me As A Kid.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 8:24 am

Simone Ellin tracked down the girls that bullied her as a child and this is what they had to say:

If you were bullied or excluded as a child or adolescent, it might not surprise you to learn that studies have shown how peer victimization can have long-term effects. That’s certainly been the case for me.

For decades, I’ve struggled with low-grade depression, anxiety and feelings of inadequacy and underachievement that have persisted despite years of therapy. I won’t argue that my mental health issues stem only from the bullying I encountered in school, but those experiences ― and my lifelong shyness, hypersensitivity and self-consciousness, which made me a perfect target for bullying and exclusion ― have had a lasting effect on me.

-----------------------------

Sometimes individuals bully others because someone is bullying them. That was certainly the case with one former classmate I contacted who had relentlessly tormented me during middle school. “I’m so sorry,” she said repeatedly during our call. “I swear I’m not a bad person. I think about what I did to you all the time. I don’t know why I chose you. I had a miserable home life.” She revealed some of the trauma she’d been through and, though I might have guessed that my classmate came from a troubled background, hearing it from her own lips made all the difference.

I was surprised to learn that many of the “popular” girls paid a steep price for maintaining their social standing. As one former cheerleader told me, the girls in her clique were so mean to each other that she grew up distrusting other women. “I didn’t have a real female friend until I was 43,” she told me. Another woman — whom I had also considered popular, smart and beautiful — learned early on that “loneliness was bad and I’d have to sacrifice to have friends.” She shared a story about being part of a group that excluded a classmate in 7th grade. “I was culpable and I think I immediately and forever thought that was my personal weakness. It was cruel ... I still feel guilty all these years later.”

I spoke with about five women who were extremely athletic during their middle and high school years. All of them said that their athleticism served as a protective factor when it came to managing the social pressures of childhood and adolescence. Being good at sports made them feel confident and broke down barriers between the cliques that existed at school since they played on teams with members of various friend groups. As one woman who transferred to our school in 9th grade told me, “I think because I was a swimmer, I had a certain amount of confidence. I had a recognition of my abilities and it gave me credibility and people didn’t pick on me.”

“I always felt like an outcast, like a little brown mouse,” said one woman who I thought was one of the prettiest, most athletic and well-liked in our class. “I’ll never forget the 7th grade dance. I was really excited about my outfit,” she told me. “I remember walking in and seeing this group of girls looking me up and down and giggling. It seemed like the whole dance stopped and I realized how mismatched I was. I thought, I am really out of touch; I am really uncool. I went to the bathroom and cried. Then I called my mother and she came and picked me up. To this day, I still feel like I can’t put clothes together.”

Source: 02/19/2021 09:00 am ET I Tracked Down The Girls Who Bullied Me As A Kid. Here’s What They Had To Say.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 2:44 pm

Wow, that's really insightful. Thanks for sharing.

winterfresh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2021, 4:20 am

This was a powerful post. Thanks for sharing!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 8:45 am

Yup.
Early bullying can destroy lives.

Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. "Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions." I didn't say that. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)

And one more thing,

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet." Humour is not meant to be taken seriously, yet many on the left pervert its intent.
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)

THERE WILL BE NO COUP IN AMERICA!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 5:39 am

It can.....but it doesn’t have to. That’s the message that Jimmy’s trying to convey.

I was bullied. I don’t even remember the names of most of the people who bullied me, so I can’t track them down.

It wasn’t major.....but it was consistent from age 6 to age 17.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 1:39 pm

This is best case scenario. The whole idea of forgiveness and reconciliation is a really big deal for us human beings — which is why so many religious traditions talk about it. And sometimes not just coming at it from different directions between various traditions, but often coming out it from different directions within the same religious tradition.

Look, I tried talking with my father about his violence . . .

He generally does not remember. Yes, he was a big drinker, but he’s generally a happy drunk. So, a lot of the violence was when he wasn’t drinking.

He gave me a general apology. But in his heart of hearts, I think he believes I’m overly sensitive. I mean, how the hell else is an NT dad going to feel toward an Aspie son ? ?

Yes, perhaps I am over sensitive in many life areas. But all the same, his violence was serious stuff.

So, just a friendly warning, it might be worth reaching out . . .

. . . but you may not get even close to best case scenario.