Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Warriorgoddess
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Oct 2016, 5:09 am

i have nonverbal learning disability (NVLD) but i hope in going to medical school. is it too hard for me or anyone here have NVLD? what is it like for everyone here or do you have any suggestion? NVLD makes me hate maths and have poor visual-spatial skill but i'm good at verbal skill.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 3:12 am

Med school is the hardest field you could possibly choose. It's so hard that even 99% of the people who don't have NVLD would find it too difficult to complete.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 8:19 am

Are you taking "pre-Med," or the equivalent of "pre-Med" right now?

If you don't do well in biology and sciences courses in general, you probably won't do well in medical school.

How are you on applied things---like physically taking care of a sick or injured person?

heathterry
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Sep 2021, 4:22 am

I would like to be a doctor. There are lots of types of doctors. Me personally I want to be a dentist. This decision was made after I saw this website:

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:24 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you don't do well in biology and sciences courses in general, you probably won't do well in medical school.

I quite agree with KraftieKorie. Organic chemistry is one of the gatekeeper courses that give an indication of whether or not a potential pre-med student have what it takes to make the cut. Medical schools weight that course quite heavily on their application process. You can still get in with a B grade from organic chemistry, but you must have a decent GPA otherwise. Many students drop out of being pre-med majors when they reach this course because it is much tougher than many of the other courses in the major.

It is not too uncommon for students who earned at least an B in organic chemistry to celebrate, as it is a large hurdle for them to get through. Those that fail to get the grade they need are doomed to repeat the class over again. In some cases, many times. I am not trying to scare anyone with this information, just make sure they are prepared for what they are going into.

In my decade plus of teaching chemistry, I have written countless letters of recommendations to former students who got into medical school, pharmacy school or graduate school. That is how I know what it takes to get into those programs. Some of them have now finished their residencies and are now working out in the world.

wolfie_potterwho
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jan 2022, 6:02 am

Warriorgoddess wrote:
i have nonverbal learning disability (NVLD) but i hope in going to medical school. is it too hard for me or anyone here have NVLD? what is it like for everyone here or do you have any suggestion? NVLD makes me hate maths and have poor visual-spatial skill but i'm good at verbal skill.

I'm an autistic medical student.

theidealist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Apr 2022, 11:34 am

It's hard but it's nothing that one can't survive. Hey anyone, if that's what you want, go for it, because you'll regret it later. I'm pursuing the career of a physician, too.

And I'm convinced it's not impossible. I've struggled with depression through high school. I'm currently 1 year before I have to take my final exams and then go to uni. I'm optimistic even though I don't have the best grades (in my country only the scores from exams count to apply).

Actually, some fields of medicine are based on the doctor infodumping the patient/analyzing tissues. Some say this job is not for autistic people. Imo it's one of the best for aspies who are interested in medicine. Just organize your studying and don't stress out - it decreases your ability to memorize and think.

EQ - 22.3
INTJ 1w9

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 8:36 pm

I'm applying to veterinary school in the future but I'm assuming you mean human medicine here.