Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 4:16 pm

Having lived at my mom's for the 2020-2021 academic year was more than enough for me. I was so glad to be out of my mom's place again for 2021-2022 academic year. Except that by the end of the year I will be graduating. And, unless I get myself a postdoc, I will be stuck at my mom's forever.

Yet I am not ready to apply for postdocs. Yes my thesis advisor says he will write me a letter of recommendation. But I can't imagine it would be any good, provided that my thesis is not nearly ready. I heard a bunch of places have Dec 1 application deadline. So I guess I already missed those ones.

Normally I am looking forward towards moving. Since I am always tired of whatever place I am stuck at and look forward for a fresh start. In fact I kinda miss Minnesota+Michigan, and I kept thinking that once I do near my graduation I would purposely apply to those two states (and my mom is in California so its all good in this regard).

But nope. As it is, I am simply not ready. So, as much as I hate New Mexico, I wish they could just let me stay exactly where I am at for yet another year. Maybe I can apply to teach at community college or something, and finance my extra year that way (at least they aren't kicking me out of school, they just won't financially support me).

But yeah, once I do get ready, I can totally see myself focusing on Minnesota and Michigan. Although its highly unlikely that much of any places will get me in, much less any specific state(s). Which is another reason I feel like I am not ready. If nobody gets me in and I graduate from here, I would have to go straight to my mom's place. Which I am "not" looking forward to.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2022, 7:31 am

I'd go for the postdocs.