Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 May 2022, 7:17 pm

Double Retired wrote:
SpaceMartian, If you can find and get any professional certifications (for computer-related stuff that interests you) it might improve the pay prospects. (As does experience on noted on a resume.)

P.S. A degree in something like Computer Science or IT also looks good.

By the end of this month I'm doing the MTCNA, for the time being what I can afford, but it's a step. Also eying more certs but they are hella pricey.
Mind though, I work for myself in a small company, totalling 2 workers and two owners. Getting certs or education at the moment won't result in any change other than a lighter pocket. I plan to move forward and look for something, my duties with my company are not time demanding and can be done remotely. Dealing with the public and such is my mate's problem.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 8:05 pm

Sounds like you are on the right path...but will need time.

Ideally, persistence will be rewarded.

Good luck, and good fortune!

Oh... I just remembered another use of certifications... Marketing.

I had a job with a government contractor helping with security certification & approval paperwork on government contracts. My employer paid for me to get CISSP training and certification because it would look good in their marketing material to say they had CISSP certified employees. It didn't help at all with what I was doing for them, but it looked good when they talked to the company's customers.

They did not reward certifications or assist the employees to get the required on-going education, though. So, a lot of folk left not too long after they got the certification because it helped them in job-hunting. I didn't go job-hunting with it, I retired. The certification reassured me that if my finances turned out to be inadequate for retirement then the certification would help me get a new job. (Fortunately the finances were OK. I really like retirement!)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:16 am

It's not my job to run the train.
The whistle I can't blow.

It's not my job to say how fast
The train's supposed to go.

It's not my job to pull the brake,
Nor even ring the bell.

But let the damn thing jump the track,
And see who catched Hell!

Suzyb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2022, 5:03 am

BA in business management.
Work in children's homes.
Regretting having made a move towards primary teaching.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 7:13 am

Does that mean you are a home visiting teacher? That sounds like a nice job!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 1:07 am

I don't have a degree.

My job is cleaning coaches. I find it fun and therapeutic.

The_Wolf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 2:55 am

I have the following degrees:

*Bachelor of Arts in History and English
*Bachelors of Arts with Second-Class Honours in History
*Master of Writing in Creative Writing

And for my job, I have been an online history/literacy tutor for nearly a year now.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 9:00 pm

I am a landman/lease broker at my dad's oil company and a Reverend and church planter and I am beginning to organize a intentional Christian community for my church plant.I am also a stock market investor.

angeladevidso
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Aug 2022, 1:15 pm

I got my degree in English at the University of Chicago. Right now I work as a copywriter for a small publishing company. I've been working there for about six months, and I love it. It's a great company to work for, and I'm really proud of the work that we do. In my job, I edit books that are going to be published. I make sure that they are error-free and ready to go. It's a lot of responsibility, but it's also very rewarding. I'm glad that I chose to pursue a career in English. It's a field that I'm passionate about, and I'm grateful to have a job that allows me to use my skills and knowledge to help others.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 3:46 am

I got a Bachelor of Psychology and a Certificate 3 in IT.

I've been a mushroom picker, forklift driver, machine and boiler operator all at the same place over nearly 10 years. Then I worked at a bakery packing pies and cleaning the pie trays.

I'm now a sanitiser/cleaner for a building full of kids' therapists. Once a fortnight I do paperwork and filing for an autistic guy. Twice a week I volunteer at a second hand shop where I sort, hang and tag clothes.

My work and academic history are all over the place partly because I've had a tough time dealing with mental illness. Mainly depression. I wrote half of my last year thesis while in hospital. I wasn't able to get an extension so it had to be done.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 4:30 am

no uni, the school left me then i left school, on the downhill path after that,
redirected that with twists and turns,
becoming a mother really helped in staying on the right path, stay at home, with veg garden, diy, schoolmom, 'schoolboard' (parents association that governs the school-1 particular school),
farmer/shepherd-selfemployed,
short lived, check up on outplaced problem-teens, interesting but :wall: :wall: :wall: therapists

maybeautistic
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Mar 2023, 1:45 pm

I am in school for social work but I'm starting to think this isn't the career for me, because of how much anxiety I feel talking to me, masking is exausting, and it's hard to recognize social cues like tone of voice. I don't know what other career I could do

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2023, 7:58 pm

Mostly worked in battery manufacturing, and on the job hunt now.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2023, 8:02 pm

I'm retired from my job but still write / edit some academic papers.
I maintain a blog and do a lot of advocacy with an online group.
I do some volunteer leadership stuff with my church's outreach program.
The rest of the time I stare at the screen here or think about nothing.