Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 4:14 pm

What did your classmates get suspended or expelled from school for allegedly having done?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 5:29 pm

No one did as there was the slipper or cane which made a difference.
There were no suspensions, detentions or bannings when teachers were allowed to physically punish children (Which was actually rarely done as the threat of it was usually enough in most cases to convince children to behave). The only rare few I recall hearing that had it, really deserved it as they pushed things too far and were the ones who did not seem to know when to behave as it was the few families with parents who did not discipline their children (One such family was a large family of many children whos Father had sadly died and their Mother had a difficult time trying to cope. The school disciplined them when they took things too far and they actually turned out alright).

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 5:36 pm

Mountain goat

What did the students allegedly do to get the cane or slipper? Pants up or down? What did it feel like?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 6:19 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Mountain goat

What did the students allegedly do to get the cane or slipper? Pants up or down? What did it feel like?

In primary school (Age 4 to 11) it was the slipper which was trowsers down, bwnd over and one would have it.
The proceedure was (And I only knew about it appening in the juniors section of the school (Age 7 to 11) as in the infants section, the teachers themselves would smack the childrens behinds. Only the headmaster used the slipper.
The proceedure was when a child took thinbs too far with their teacher, the teacher would take (Sometimes drag) the child down to the headmasters office while all the other teachers would open their doors and we would all go quiet as we would listen, and we would hear the headmaster use the slipper on the childs behind which would normally result in the child being reduced to tears. The event was actually rare. Twice a year would be a busy year, as the threat that if we continued to be naughty we would know what would happen next would be enough to make us behave!
Usual!y the headmaster would only give one or two slaps on the behind, but we all remember this one child from that family who while having hi bottom slapped swore at the headmaster using a word common today but in them days most of us children had never even heard of it, and he had another two! he actually had five that day which was rare!

In the secondary school (Age 11 to 16 or to 18 or older if one was in the sixth form doing A levels (Most left at 16 after doing 0 levels or CSE's)) it was the cane to the hand and was usually done by the head of year. Was more of a secretive thing because whoever it was that miss-behaved would be asked to go to the head of years office (Which one could be called in for lots of innocent reasons) and the door would be closed (So no one knew if the person had done wrong of if it was another issue such as helping with work or a decision or signing something etc), so we would only ever hear if someone had had the cane to the hand if they told us (Head of year would not say as would be private... Very different from.primary school where they would leave doors open so we could hear as a type of deterrant (Which worked well!)).
I only heard of one girl a year older who said she had once had the cane but I don't know what for, except I do know she was once caught walking down the railway line so it may have been that (The transport police would occasionally check as some naughty children had been reported by the traincrew for walking the line. (Trains on that line only went slow but that as not the point). Many kids used to take one short cut and cross the line instead of going over the metal footbridge, and in all the many times I used the bridge while nearly all the other kids went across the line, I can say that I only crossed the line two or three times when heavy ice or snow made that bridge impossible to cross! If iced up that metal footbridge was positively dangerous! (One would be far more likely to be killed or injured on that bridge in those conditions than risking being hit by a slow moving train! Even the more law abiding adults such as pensioners would decide to trespass and take the shortcut across the railway line in those conditions!)
But this girl and others sometimes would walk down the line to tke a shortcut home as her back garden backed onto the line. I can't see her getting the cane for any other reason because she was normally (As far as I am aware) a reasonably well behaved child. Her older brother got up to a few things as a teenager and once ended up with either a black eye or two black eyes as he tried to show off to his friends while on the bumpercars at the yearly village fair by riding it without using his hands which ended up with him being injured in an "I told you so" situation, but he was not so bad.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 7:13 pm

I'm thinking jr. high here... I'd guess that the most common thing that my classmates got for suspended for was fighting. We had fights pretty frequently. Maybe skipping school would come in second? Backtalking teachers to an extreme degree or causing a scene in class, smoking, maybe for having some pot, and I'm not sure what else. If I recall correctly only three people got expelled when I was in jr. high. One kid, she brought a 9mm to school and was planning to shoot this other girl she was fighting with. The other two were a couple who got way too intimate during a dance right in the middle of the gym floor.

I didn't finish high school, not traditional high school anyway, so I'm not sure what all everyone was doing to get in trouble there, but I'd guess pretty much the same stuff as they were doing in jr. high, but maybe more drugs than pot. Expulsions were treated differently in high school though, because my town had two alternative ed programs for high schoolers. They wanted to keep the money in district, so instead of having a formal expulsion (which means you can never go to one of the district's schools again), they'd tell parents to remove their child from the regular school and put them in one of the two alternative ones to avoid a formal expulsion (which most parents did not want to deal with) and it worked for the most part. If the child was 16, they'd usually just drop out or go get a ged and be done with it all.

I got one of those not exactly expelled, but kicked out of high school things. I was 15 and I got the boot for...it's complicated. The short of it, I was homeless, had just lived through a trauma, and was not coping well with any of it. They finally got my mom to answer the phone and she was fine with me never going back to that school.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 1:27 am

I got suspended once.

I was in Year 11 and I actually hung out with a few people. One day one of them called to me from behind the manual arts block. So I went over to see what they wanted and they showed me a large bottle of tequila. There were a few other students there and they had varying bottles of alcohol and were having a fine time drinking them.

I was in the middle of saying that I didn't like tequila (I had tasted it at home before) and that we were all going to be late for class when the woodwork teacher poked his head over the wall and yelled that we were all busted and to follow him to the principal's office.

During my meeting with the principal, she asked me how much I had drunk and I replied that I didn't drink any. She threatened that she would bring the police in with a breathalyzer and I said I was fine with that. Then she said I was suspended for 5 days and my parents would be notified.

They didn't notify my parents and I had a nice little break from school.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 1:50 am

I didn't get suspended or expelled and I don't know anyone who did.
Most of the schools don't do that where I live.
A student might get one day if they beat up a teacher.

My dad was strapped and hit by his teacher for being left-handed.

My friend's mother was put in the middle of her classroom.
Her teacher and all the other kids made a circle around her.
They were all mocking her and calling her a dunce (stupid).

My mother was sent home for wearing trousers in a blizzard.
She wore them inside a snowsuit.
She didn't wear a skirt because she'd get in trouble if it was wrinkled.
They made her stand outside alone in the blizzard.
My granddad had to carry her home.
She was about six.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 3:00 am

Beating up a teacher was simply not done when I went to school ('80s, early '90s). It used to be that the teachers were the ones to give out punishments.

Your poor mum, Isabella. :(

mx_dicaprio260298
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2023, 1:04 pm

i was suspended for coming out as asexual to my ex best friend :skull: mainly because it was considered harassment to constantly hang out with ex bestie and thought he was making mysogynist assumptions about me so I just wanted reassurance so he ended up in meltdown.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 5:04 pm

T. W. Drugs, bullying and violence.

I knew a girl who got suspended. She was in a fight. However, security was lax and there was a wall you could easily jump over. So she did and she hung out with us during break time. Then she hopped back over the wall and off she went.

---

As for expulsion, there are two that come to mind. One was a guy whom I didn't know. However, he was known for disruptive behaviour and pranks. On his last day, he pulled the fire alarm every twenty minutes or so until they essentially just dragged him off the premises.

The latter... well, the details are unclear. I knew him. The guy used to pick on me. Unfortunately he fell off the deep end and became a drug dealer. I think he was suspended at first, but then he just never came back. However, I followed him on social media for some reason and he turned his life around eventually. Gave up drugs and took up hairdressing instead.

---

Now, there was also a time where someone nearly ended up suspended. We were sat in class and there was this kid. He was a gentle giant. Unfortunately, he was clearly different so the other kids picked on him. They would often speak to him in a baby voice. It was irritating.

One student was mocking him and using the baby voice. Despite the kid telling him to knock it off, the class clown continued to push his luck. And push. And push. And push. Then bam! The kid got up and punched him in the face. He fell to the ground in one hit.

They were both ushered out the room (once the other guy was helped to his feet) and we all had to write witness statements. No suspensions occurred after the statements were collected but it was considered.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 9:33 pm

What did your classmates get suspended or expelled from school for allegedly having done?
• Cheating on an exam, quiz, or test
• Dealing/possession/use of drugs at school
• Illegal possession and/or use of firearms or other weapons at school
• Physically assaulting or threatening to harm an administrator, coach, staff member, or teacher*
• Theft from an administrator, coach, staff member, student, or teacher
• Theft from the school
• Vandalism of the school

*Please note that physically assaulting and/or threatening to harm another student carried no such penalty**.

(** If it carried any penalty at all.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 8:36 am

One of my former high school classmates was expelled because he exploded all of the toilets in the main men’s bathroom using illegal fireworks - vintage cherry bombs from the 1960s to be specific. This happened in the late 1980s as a reference point. The force from the explosions blew out some of the water pipes in the wall, causing a major flood in the school. Unfortunately the vice principal was using the bathroom when it happened, so he was really mad. The expelled student got put in a psychological facility shortly after that for making a bomb threat towards the school. We never saw him again after that incident.

Personally, I hated the vice principal, so it was pure entertainment to me. I was only a spectator to the aftermath. At least we got a few days off as the school had to repair the damage before we could use the building again.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 10:11 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
No one did as there was the slipper or cane which made a difference.
There were no suspensions, detentions or bannings when teachers were allowed to physically punish children (Which was actually rarely done as the threat of it was usually enough in most cases to convince children to behave). The only rare few I recall hearing that had it, really deserved it as they pushed things too far and were the ones who did not seem to know when to behave as it was the few families with parents who did not discipline their children (One such family was a large family of many children whos Father had sadly died and their Mother had a difficult time trying to cope. The school disciplined them when they took things too far and they actually turned out alright).

I'm pretty sure if a teacher tried to hit me when I was a teenager they'd have ended up in the hospital for their troubles.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 11:14 pm

I almost got kicked out of college for complaining about being treated disrespectfully by a 3rd party school. Apparently complaining about being treated disrespectfully is unprofessional behavior somehow, but making up a pack of lies isn't. I'm so glad that I graduated that college and don't have to have anything to do with them in the future.

I didn't get suspended or expelled, but now I've got a bunch of lies in my transcript because they edited the conversations to remove the comments I was responding to. And even without context, there was nothing unprofessional or disrespectful in any of what I said. Women can be the worst when they decided that one of their own has been impugned.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2023, 6:47 am

I got kicked out of school in the end. It was after a succession of incidents and chance after chance. In the end they let me go for calling the English teacher a c**t. I think it was just the final straw.

My brother also got kicked out of school. I think he was violent but he's a lot older than me so I don't know the details.

I ended up being placed in a secure children's home after that (because of criminal activity and not because I got expelled) and went to school there but it wasn't really school in the traditional sence. It was more to just burn off energy.