roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 3:48 pm

Quote:
Why do NT Males Hoot Like Gibbons?

I love the analogy lol
Ganondox wrote:
My current roommates are the absolute worse, and this is one of many antisocial behaviors they engage in. I’m just curious to as why they feel the need to do this, it’s extremely obnoxious and not in the least bit entertaining. If you’ve ever listened to the audience in a sporting event you’ll know what I’m talking about.

What is the context of their hooting? Are they hooting like they are watching a sporting event? Are they partying? Or is it hooting directed at your roommate or someone else?

If it's for a game or sporting event, then hooting is just a common way of expressing or building enthusiasm among the group. It very often becomes overly loud and inconsiderate, especially for those on the spectrum sensitive to sudden/loud/continuous sounds. Lots of NT guys have that famous tendency for being loud and inconsiderate, especially when they are younger. I live in a college town so I hear that sort of thing all the time.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 6:28 am

I think also it's a macho thing. They want to appear macho in front of their buddies. God forbid they are quiet and sensitive! The worst thing a macho man can be! :roll:

And groups of humans behave in ways they never would individually. They get carried away by the group vibe and go to extremes.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 6:06 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
Quote:
Why do NT Males Hoot Like Gibbons?

I love the analogy lol
Ganondox wrote:
My current roommates are the absolute worse, and this is one of many antisocial behaviors they engage in. I’m just curious to as why they feel the need to do this, it’s extremely obnoxious and not in the least bit entertaining. If you’ve ever listened to the audience in a sporting event you’ll know what I’m talking about.

What is the context of their hooting? Are they hooting like they are watching a sporting event? Are they partying? Or is it hooting directed at your roommate or someone else?

If it's for a game or sporting event, then hooting is just a common way of expressing or building enthusiasm among the group. It very often becomes overly loud and inconsiderate, especially for those on the spectrum sensitive to sudden/loud/continuous sounds. Lots of NT guys have that famous tendency for being loud and inconsiderate, especially when they are younger. I live in a college town so I hear that sort of thing all the time.

It's while watching sporting events or playing competitive games. They are much less obnoxious when playing single-player or cooperative games, so I think it's fundamentally anti-social in nature, or at least some sort of playful imitation of aggressive behavior.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 6:18 pm

KitLily wrote:
I think also it's a macho thing. They want to appear macho in front of their buddies. God forbid they are quiet and sensitive! The worst thing a macho man can be! :roll:

And groups of humans behave in ways they never would individually. They get carried away by the group vibe and go to extremes.

Definitely, these are Andrew Tate watching dudebros trying their hardest to be the poster boys of toxic masculinity. Whenever they notice another of them acting like like a half-decent person they immediately proceed to mock them, reinforcing their terribleness.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 11:05 am

Ganondox wrote:
Definitely, these are Andrew Tate watching dudebros trying their hardest to be the poster boys of toxic masculinity. Whenever they notice another of them acting like like a half-decent person they immediately proceed to mock them, reinforcing their terribleness.

You have hit the nail on the head. This sort of behaviour has existed as long as I can remember, myself and most girls were sexually harassed by that type of male from as early as secondary school!

I remember when I went out with my first boyfriend when I was about 20, he was very careful to act macho when we were with his group of friends, and not listen to me or agree with me. Because his mates would all start singing 'under the thumb, under the thumb, she's got you under her thumb' and laugh and jeer at him. And they did the same to the other males too.

This really, really needs to change. Andrew Tate and all the men preceding him like that, have a lot to answer for.

I'm sorry you have to live closely to such males, ugh.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 11:49 am

*just thinking out loud*

What if Human males "became physically embellished" as do other males in other species do? Like pea fowl, or elk? Or even females?

DISCLAIMER: this is in NO WAY an attempt to fan any "gender discourse" flames, or anything like that. It's just a silly thought exercise. Do take care.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 12:44 pm

mrpieceofwork wrote:
*just thinking out loud*

What if Human males "became physically embellished" as do other males in other species do? Like pea fowl, or elk? Or even females?

DISCLAIMER: this is in NO WAY an attempt to fan any "gender discourse" flames, or anything like that. It's just a silly thought exercise. Do take care.

Can you explain that because I have no idea what you mean? It sounds interesting though.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 1:04 pm

KitLily wrote:
mrpieceofwork wrote:
*just thinking out loud*

Can you explain that because I have no idea what you mean? It sounds interesting though.

If "breeding" individuals grew antlers, or a showy fan of tail feathers. It's impossible for Humans to do so, of course, (though some of our "relatives" do have a certain... um lost word again lol "sexual outwardly appearance change" during that certain point in their lives) but just, "What if?" Would it help "pacify" them? Tone them down, etc,

My text only website

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 2:50 pm

mrpieceofwork wrote:
KitLily wrote:
mrpieceofwork wrote:
*just thinking out loud*

If "breeding" individuals grew antlers, or a showy fan of tail feathers. It's impossible for Humans to do so, of course, (though some of our "relatives" do have a certain... um lost word again lol "sexual outwardly appearance change" during that certain point in their lives) but just, "What if?" Would it help "pacify" them? Tone them down, etc,

You mean your face doesn't turn blue and red to attract available females and intimidate other mature males?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 2:54 pm

No, but my hair did fall out (buzzed it off)

My text only website

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 2:26 am

mrpieceofwork wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I understand you. It might indeed pacify people to be able to show their status more outwardly.

I think people would have to be able to choose what they showed, though, because we don't want very young girls to be forced to show they are able to breed. That would lead to horrendous abuse. Well, more abuse than currently.

I often wonder if this is where humans have gone wrong. In nature, it is usually the MALE animal who is very glamorous and brightly coloured, showing off to get attention from the females. In humans, it is usually the FEMALE who is very glamorous and brightly coloured, showing off to get attention from the males.

It seems to have caused a strange imbalance in humans where females have to do everything and the males can just sit back.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 3:05 am

KitLily wrote:
mrpieceofwork wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I understand you. It might indeed pacify people to be able to show their status more outwardly.

I think people would have to be able to choose what they showed, though, because we don't want very young girls to be forced to show they are able to breed. That would lead to horrendous abuse. Well, more abuse than currently.

I often wonder if this is where humans have gone wrong. In nature, it is usually the MALE animal who is very glamorous and brightly coloured, showing off to get attention from the females. In humans, it is usually the FEMALE who is very glamorous and brightly coloured, showing off to get attention from the males.

It seems to have caused a strange imbalance in humans where females have to do everything and the males can just sit back.

No males stopped growing antlers, and started to buy sports cars- to do the same display.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 8:16 am

naturalplastic wrote:
No males stopped growing antlers, and started to buy sports cars- to do the same display.

That's all very well for men who can afford sports cars, but what about the rest of them? :lol:

I don't think stags have to buy their antlers, do they? :lol:

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 8:35 am

There's a definitive through-line of capital taking over and the formation of the "expectation" that woman be the ones "dolling up", complete with the backlash against that obvious inequality (capitalists saw a huge market in the female home-maker, and that continued when they joined "the workforce")

My text only website

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 2:58 pm

KitLily wrote:
I love this conversation, it's so autistic :heart:

I mean: someone has a social problem and the rest of us start arguing about the scientific aspects of the situation :lol:

Yeah I mean from an nt perspective it might look as though you're taking the piss.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 3:54 pm

Didn't know they did.