Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

shinimin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2009, 11:42 am

So I've just been accepted at SUNY Potsdam. :D

I'm very excited but also very nervous about the dorms. The thing that gets me so nervous is that the majority of the dorms are corridor style with one large shared bathroom. I am very self conscious and don't know if i would be able to stand that.

Anybody got any advice on what to do?

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 11:55 am

Get an apartment. I'm sure you can get a hamster shack apartment for the same price or cheaper than the dorms.

Everyone I knew who started off in dorms moved out within a year.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 11:57 am

Mostly, just pick your times... there's times when the bathroom is REALLY busy and times when it's not.

And remember... after college, you'll probably never see these people again. Thank heavens!

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 12:02 pm

Mostly, just pick your times... there's times when the bathroom is REALLY busy and times when it's not.

And remember... after college, you'll probably never see these people again. Thank heavens!

And CONGRATULATIONS!! ! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 3:08 am

And try to be in control of your own situation too.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 7:26 am

Congrats and best of luck.Last year I was accepted to Red Deer College here in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada. I am currently renting a room for 500 dollars (CDN) a month.It has done good for me.I have completed my first year of college and only have one more year left to go.My landlady is very nice and all is good.I only live 2 blocks from the college.

hannahcamille
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Jun 2009, 1:07 pm

How wonderful to be accepted, and five minutes later, how anxiety-provoking! I've been there. I'd say if you live in the dorms, plan on waking up early and using the bathroom at low/no-traffic times. Or work out something where you have your own bathroom. I'd try for that, if you can. That way you won't have to worry about lines in the morning, et cetera. SUNY-Potsdam sounds awesome. Enjoy the summer,
-hannahcamille

Izzy_Dolphin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2009, 3:47 pm

First off, congratulations!! ! College is an amazing experience!

Second, I'm just finishing up my first year in a corridor-style dorm, so I might have useful information for you. My suggestions to you are twofold:

First, if possible, get a single room, or try to pick your roommate to be someone you are friendly with and who understands your needs. (I didn't - I went for luck of hte draw, and ended up with two roommates who have made my life he** and I literally *only* sleep in my drom because I can't deal with my roommates. Don't do that to yourself, it is terrible. I'm lucky because I found a community center that I can go to and work, but not every school has those resources. Having a single room is really good for retreat-space, as well, so you can socialize as you want, and then shut your door when you need to be alone.) I'm living in a single room next year, for which I am very grateful. It is a little more expensive, but at this point, my mental health and sanity are worth far more than the extra $1500 for the year.

Second, as for the bathrooms... they're really not too bad. I'm a morning person, and I can tell you with certainty that no one is in the bathroom (except me) before 7:30. (First classes start at 8). You can also observe the bathroom patterns and pick your times to go when there are not very many people. The other thing that I do is that the showers are well designed in my dorm's bathroom, so you can wear your clothes into the shower stall, shut the first curtain, change, shower, then get dressed again, all without having anyone see you. It's very very nice.

Good luck!

shinimin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jun 2009, 12:38 pm

thanks for everybody's help i'm working on getting a single but if not i plan to try for one of the few suites. I guess i'll start early going to take shower but also observe the patterns.

thanks for all the help

WXDustin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2009, 3:35 pm

shinimin wrote:

I'm very excited but also very nervous about the dorms. The thing that gets me so nervous is that the majority of the dorms are corridor style with one large shared bathroom. I am very self conscious and don't know if i would be able to stand that.

Deal with it, is the only way you can do it. Take your clothes off in the shower if you have to.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 2:48 pm

shinimin wrote:

Potsdam huh? cool. i was looking at going there after 2 years of liberal arts stuff @ FLCC
and Congrats on getting in!

as for the bathroom thing, i'd say go for early morning or late at night (i'm not a morning person so i'd chose the latter over the former)