A co-ed Asperger's group on campus, my experience- intense

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

daveybaby
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jul 2009, 6:24 pm

Ok, I got a little excited there, cause I was on this forum a long time ago. Anyway, basically, I'm not looking for advice or anything of that matter.

There was a co-ed Asperger's support group on my campus. As of now, most of the support and socializing groups I have been to were... sub-par, to say the least. This one was not. There was a lot of interaction, guys and girls were spending time with eachother, on and off campus.

I am under the impression that this is... not necessarily a typical sort of thing that goes down, at least not in the United States. I had a dating experience, and I made several friends of the opposite sex, and its not something I had an easy time doing beforehand.

Anyway... I figured this is something that the folks here might be interested in. From what I've heard, its difficult for most of us to form bonds and the like, but I think I'm actually having an easier and easier time with it. I could share my experience in the group (its been a semester and then some interaction in the summer), basically with the intent of helping ya'll and getting feedback.

Howsoever, I am well aware that there could be folks from said group on this site, and well, I care about a number of em, and I wouldn't want to reveal too much. Anyway, and anyso, is there any feedback, if any, you would all be willing to offer? Thanks.

Last edited by daveybaby on 17 Jul 2009, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 6:45 pm

I do not get this post.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 7:50 pm

"airplane noise" *gestures by waving hand over head in time with noise*

I missed that one too...

daveybaby

17 Jul 2009, 8:04 pm

Ah-hem. Sorry, I'm probably assuming a lot of things. I'm also not looking at my punctuation, at all.

All right... basically, I was in a support group for folks with PDD-NOS and Asperger's. Has anyone had any sort of experience with these sorts of groups? I am aware that they exist, although they usually cost a bit of money. This one was free, and it was restricted to students and alumni.

I had a very interesting experience there, meeting a bunch of people like myself. Normally, I would never be able to meetup with people on the autism spectrum, certainly not with people my own age, and certainly not with a number of cute girls involved... ya starting to catch my drift?

I've been talking to folks throughout the semester and into the summer.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 10:17 pm

It's ok.. As long as they don't harm you!

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 8:08 am

I've never been to anything of the like. But descriptions of such a group would certainly be beneficial to any contemplating going to the group. I would suggest a long with a writeup put a few key words up so that anyone searching for that information would find your post.

As for the rest of it... success stories are always worth the effort. They are few enough and far enough inbetween as it is. Just be aware of punctuation this time :)

Shakespeare
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jul 2009, 3:18 am

I'm very curious to hear more details about how the group worked for you. First off about how many people were in the meetings? and how were they organized? Were they moderated? Did people take turns speaking?

I'd like to share some of my experiences if I may. It may not all be entirely related. I have friends and family who I feel really comfortable with one on one. I often find myself getting lost in conversations with large groups of people that I don't know very well. I went to this autism event that I'm sure some of you have heard of called Autreat. And I did actually make a few friends. I just found myself in just as awkward a situation except when I was hanging out with my roommate one on one.

But anyway, tell me how this group got started and if you have any ideas about how I might organize one to fit my needs that would be great. I know I'd need to find other people beforehand to get it started. People on campus at Ithaca College or Cornell University. Thanks for posting and I hope this discussion continues.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2009, 2:08 pm

daveybaby wrote:

Howsoever, I am well aware that there could be folks from said group on this site . . .

My advice would be aim to slightly underdisclose. Then after the post has been up a couple of days, see how you feel about it and take it from there.

And you always have the method of John*, Susan* Just use a common name as a pseudonym.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 1:55 am

As long as you can be true to yourself, everything else will do.