Is it best for me not to go to college?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

01 Nov 2009, 6:19 pm

I started my first year of college in september 2009. I lasted there for like 3 weeks than i dropped out due to high anxity. I tried another in october and i only lasted there for 4 days. Now i am out of college. I am still considering going to one in january for BioTechnolgy. I was in computer technology and didnt like it. Would it be best for me not to go back to college i people tell me if i go i will drop out like every one predicated in the first place.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 7:28 pm

You need to study what interests you. If that is biotech and not computers, then change majors NOW.

I graduated finally on my third major. I started in EE, changed to Physics, failed out, then went back for CS (which I realized was what I wanted to do midway through my sophomore year, but stupidly listened to my family's poor advice instead--"Just stick with it.").

Find some way to deal any other problems first, however, like executive dysfunction or sensory issues. You don't want to spend 7 years in college (as I did) just to get a B.S.

Best wishes! :D

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

01 Nov 2009, 7:32 pm

well i was intrested in computers i know a lot about how to repair them and all that but i am finding myself no longer into computers for some reason. I am new to this biotechnology stuff and i am interested in it like how the immune system kills viral infected cells and all that. People say i am into technolgy as well.

ottorocketforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Nov 2009, 9:22 pm

Have you considered therapy for your anxiety?

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

01 Nov 2009, 9:32 pm

I am seeing my doctor this week. I might consider therapy depends what she says i guess.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2009, 7:39 am

I tell everyone to think carefully about college...especially if you have to borrow money to pay for it.

Many graduates can't find work that enables them to repay student loans, so if you go for something, make sure you can pay for it or that you will definitely find a good paying job right after you graduate.

Having AS complicates matters because social skills are key to getting a good job. I didn't know that (when I was in school, I didn't know about AS), and in hindsight, I'd never have gone to college with what I now know.

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

02 Nov 2009, 8:39 am

Thats why i am going to a community college because i know i can not afford a college that is 20K a year. I believe a community college would be like 6-8K a year or so. If i lived in a dorm in a college that would easily bring the price up up 12K. Like when college i looked into would be 39,500$ for one year. I really think i should just stick with computers not try something i dont know.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2009, 10:17 am

zer0netgain wrote:
I tell everyone to think carefully about college...especially if you have to borrow money to pay for it.

Many graduates can't find work that enables them to repay student loans, so if you go for something, make sure you can pay for it or that you will definitely find a good paying job right after you graduate.

Having AS complicates matters because social skills are key to getting a good job. I didn't know that (when I was in school, I didn't know about AS), and in hindsight, I'd never have gone to college with what I now know.

That's true. Quite a few people I know have said that. I mean there's no point in going to college/university and getting into a ton of debt that you can't pay off. Especially if you end up dropping out halfway through(which is what happened to a relative of mine).
Personally I'm gonna go somewhere near to where I live. :lol: I'm kinda lucky though cause there's loads of decent universities in this city. :twisted:

david_42
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2009, 10:44 am

Way too many people go to college in the US. Many others go too soon and end up with a worthless degree (or one in an area they don't really like. It's surprising, but some kids think working with computers is like playing video games all day.) and a pile of debt. Since you are interested in biotech, why not look at taking technical training? Work as a lab tech for a few years and decide about further education.

TuDoDude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2009, 10:26 pm

College isn't for everyone. Some people prefer working. I realize that school districts insist that everyone is going to college but it's simply not true. Find what you like and pursue it.

quote="seaweasel"]I started my first year of college in september 2009. I lasted there for like 3 weeks than i dropped out due to high anxity. I tried another in october and i only lasted there for 4 days. Now i am out of college. I am still considering going to one in january for BioTechnolgy. I was in computer technology and didnt like it. Would it be best for me not to go back to college i people tell me if i go i will drop out like every one predicated in the first place.[/quote]

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 12:52 am

Quote:
Way too many people go to college in the US. Many others go too soon and end up with a worthless degree (or one in an area they don't really like. It's surprising, but some kids think working with computers is like playing video games all day.) and a pile of debt. Since you are interested in biotech, why not look at taking technical training? Work as a lab tech for a few years and decide about further education.

Hmm, something for me to ponder. Work first before going college... hmm, this sounds cool.