Intelligence, you're view on yourself

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LoveMoney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Feb 2010, 7:51 pm

Do you find yourself smart, explain also why?
What are you good at?
Evaluate yourself with you're time at school.
(I don't want to hear any like 'I know the train hours by rote' thats just retarted be realistic, memory is not intelligence).

I was the best in my class, for every language, in the 'Reading Comprehension' category.
I was the best critical thinker in the class. If a = b then 2a not always = b. Not talking about maths here but about general stuff in different kinds of subjects.
I had good logical skills. I remember to see how my teacher made her lesson papers in a 'not logical way'.

Sorry for my english.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 7:58 pm

I was one of the smart kids in elementary school only because it was an urban public school and I was one of only few that cared about learning.

Then I went to catholic school and became one of the dumbest in my class.

Then I went to a rich white high school and became an average intellect student. :P

I have NO talents or intellect whatsoever. None.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 8:06 pm

LoveMoney wrote:
memory is not intelligence

Memory is definitely a significant component of intelligence. If you look at the WAIS-IV (the most common IQ test) a significant portion of the verbal component (which most closely corresponds to what is conventionally referred to as intelligence) is based on crystallized knowledge of specific things that you would have to remember. Another component of the test is the working memory index- probably the best analogy for this would be to compare it to RAM on a computer. You'll have serious trouble without high enough working memory.

LoveMoney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Feb 2010, 8:31 pm

You can use you're INTELLIGENCE to memorise things faster (you make better and faster links) or better (when they change the question you know its that answer).

You're INTELLIGENCE can be bad but you can memorise everything like it is.

They don't ask this in a IQ test "I want you to give me all prime numbers'. Thats knowing something by rote.

Working memory can be influenced by concentration, motivation etc.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 8:55 pm

LoveMoney wrote:
You're INTELLIGENCE can be bad but you can memorise everything like it is.

I disagree. Unintelligent people would not likely be able to store (and quickly retrieve on demand) large quantities of information. Memorization ability on its own speaks to some level of intelligence.

Quote:
They don't ask this in a IQ test "I want you to give me all prime numbers'. Thats knowing something by rote.

But they do ask you who wrote Alice in Wonderland, what the boiling point of water is, and what the circumference of the Earth around the equator is. All of those things are also rote memory.

Quote:
Working memory can be influenced by concentration, motivation etc.

To some extent, yes, but there are definitely limitations based on the brain you have. For instance, I can play several simultaneous games of blindfold chess, remembering the positions on each board without difficulty, while most chess players my strength would be incapable of following even one blindfold game no matter how hard they focused.

Llama874
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Feb 2010, 8:57 pm

Quote:

Actually, that's not the best example. I don't have the prime numbers memorised but I could go through the numbers and list the prime ones. Granted, it might take one longer than someone who has them memorised, but I think most anyone could do the same.

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Feb 2010, 9:01 pm

Consistently throughout my life people comment on how smart they think I am, I was told in my community college class that I would be the next Einstein. My view of my intelligence is a little more realistic, while my reading and verbal skills are excellent my written math skills are practically non existent. I have great spatial ability and problem solving skills but my short term memory is poor. I am a walking encyclopedia on many things and am clueless on others. I do not have rote memory I process things and present them through my own filter, sometimes my filter is defective.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 10:47 pm

On the issue of working memory I have some personal experience, as a result of a mild aquired brain injury (and a neuropsych work-up about it).

Prior to it I managed a BA in Physics from UC Bekeley, and scored above the 85th percentile on the Physics GRE. Not genius-Physics-god level stuff, but not too shabby. After the injury, reading and comprehending the newspaper became a challenge. (my reading speed and comprehension before were excellent)

Working memory is critical to many 'intellectual' tasks. I.e. you must be able to hold the previously read paragraphs & pages in mind in order to weave/spin together an extended thread of thought. Without it it's like trying to read a book after it's been put through a shredder. And the same for any thread of thought about any subject: computer code, electronics, history, economics, personal problems, whatever.

Effort, motivation, caffine and other such thing may have some minor effects, but you are basically stuck with what you've got. (I have put immense effort and compensating strategies into place, but even those are limited by the problem itself.) I have a lot of knowledge, but can't make use it because of those difficulties, so working memory and processing speed are very important.

You might want look up the WAIS and study how it's designed -- working memory is reflected in a couple of the sub-tests, and those sub-tests are part of how one's IQ is calculated.

(I'm not going to get into what kind of intelligence IQ measures, as I do believe there are other kinds that are important but not recognized by it. And also that autistic brains may in sometimes "break" IQ test (I knew someone (autistic) once who had a tested IQ of 77, but was in grad school and doing fine.) I've noticed over the years my thought processes shifting to new ways to solve problems, but I'm not sure they'd show up on an IQ test.)

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 8:24 am

Probably yes, I have no problem understanding most concepts and find extracting information from data to be simple while others I know find it difficult. Not that there isn't more to intelligence than that.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 12:44 pm

A lot of people probably would consider me intelligent at school, but I don't really view myself as intelligent. I have often gotten exceptional grades in the past and in the eyes of most people good grades correlate with intelligence; not necessarily. This is because I often lack common sense and overlook things that other people would consider fairly obvious. For example, I can recall pi to 51 decimal places but I might often forget things to do with people. People often expect both intelligence and common sense in someone who is 'clever' and I don't always have the latter. However, I appreciate that there are certain things I have a knack for that other people normally don't, such as mathematics and thinking logically. Having said that I tend to take my intelligence for granted.

SilverPikmin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2010, 7:26 am

I wouldn't really say I'm intelligent. People say I am very intelligent because I do well in school, but that's mostly because unlike most people in school I am actually interested in (most of) the subjects I'm learning, and learn all I can about them. It's mostly memory really. And like the previous poster I lack common sense in a lot of things. :lol:

rosiemaphone
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2010, 4:42 pm

I don't really think I'm smart. Although I am half-decent at the subjects I am studying, I'm not top of the class, and although in some situations I can understand things straight away and do really well, in others I am just plain stupid and have nothing to say. I also lack common sense and social and emotional intelligence.

I am good at... well, that's a hard question. I'm okay at English, and people tell me I have a talent for creative writing in particular. I'm fairly good at Philosophy, although this ability can make me infuriating at times. In short, the useless subjects, the ones that can't really earn a decent living unless you're ridiculously lucky, those are the ones I can do.

Well, when I was in my primary school, I was considered clever. When I went on to grammar school, myself and others thought I was stupid. I can be very slow at times, and lack organisation. The next place I went to, I know for a fact people thought I was stupid, but that was more because of what I did at the time. Now, at my brilliant, special school where a variety of interesting people come to for a variety of reasons, a lot of people consider me "intelligent" and even "intellectual". I think that a lot of the kids in my school are more intelligent than me, despite the "special needs" label, and a lot are of equal intelligence. The difference is my upbringing, the fact that I attended a grammar school for a few years, and the fact that I am interested in the kind of academic things that most people my age consider boring. I have been at the top and the bottom of the pile, and although I am currently considered by people around me to be very clever, my conclusion is: I'm nothing special.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 5:08 pm

deep-techno wrote:
A lot of people probably would consider me intelligent at school, but I don't really view myself as intelligent. I have often gotten exceptional grades in the past and in the eyes of most people good grades correlate with intelligence; not necessarily. This is because I often lack common sense and overlook things that other people would consider fairly obvious. For example, I can recall pi to 51 decimal places but I might often forget things to do with people. People often expect both intelligence and common sense in someone who is 'clever' and I don't always have the latter. However, I appreciate that there are certain things I have a knack for that other people normally don't, such as mathematics and thinking logically. Having said that I tend to take my intelligence for granted.

This^2.

I'm smart about some things, and dumb as a brick about others, though I would say I am wise enough at least to recognize that.

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 8:15 pm

Absolutely, positively, dumb as a box of rocks.

never did well in highschool unless I was taking a course over and always came home with the same comment(even if they were prefabs from a porgram that were all the teachers could use)"doesn't uderstand concept(s)." or "needs help te better understand the concept," or best yet "cannot correctly apply concept for lack of understanding" or something to the effect of non comprehension and that is general because that's the "comment" that showed up most frequently on my report cards regardless the subject the "coments" box related to.

LoveMoney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Feb 2010, 8:29 pm

Damn I fail 100%..

'You're view on yourself'
Oh my god, I look stupid now, haha.
Nobody told me..

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 10:22 pm

Of course no one said anything. No one likes a grammar Nazi.