Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Wikan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Nov 2009, 12:55 pm

Today we got our results back on a test we did in physiology.
Everyone passed, most with near 100 % score. I failed.

Just before the test I met up with my fellow students, where I find out that the entire class had the answers to all the questions.
I was accually the only one who wasn't informed about the ability to cheat (I hate cheating, but even though, nobody told me).
The professor must be thinking I'm some kind of idiot compared to the rest. But he's got to be the idiot, not being able to see the cheating. The first test most barely passed, the second everyone gets a full score??

This pisses me off, and gives me even more reasons to hate NTs. Are they doing it on purpose? They'd like to see me fail, so they won't have to deal with the discomfort of having me around? :evil:

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 1:01 pm

If he gave your test back, id go over the answers and compare them to notes/books/experienced references just to make sure the teacher isnt flunking you. If this is a college exam, it would be wise to bring this up with your adviser and probably the dept. head (just to be on the safe side). Chances are if he cant tell that only 1 person in his class failed the exam and the rest made 100%, then he's likely not to be teaching for not being able to see the discrepancy.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 1:12 pm

That was unfair of them not to include you, even if you weren't planning on cheating anyway.

At least you took the test honestly, even though you failed. The rest of the class will probably get in trouble for cheating at some point, and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you haven't done anything wrong.

y es como un semestre"

Wikan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Nov 2009, 1:13 pm

PlatedDrake wrote:
If he gave your test back, id go over the answers and compare them to notes/books/experienced references just to make sure the teacher isnt flunking you. If this is a college exam, it would be wise to bring this up with your adviser and probably the dept. head (just to be on the safe side). Chances are if he cant tell that only 1 person in his class failed the exam and the rest made 100%, then he's likely not to be teaching for not being able to see the discrepancy.

Unfortunately he needed the test back after we had seen it, but he is giving me a chance to get enough points by doing the test orally at the end of the semester before the exam, so I don't think he's trying to flunk me. The guy is quite intelligent, known to give the hardest test in this subject this semester. He is rather naive though, but still, he should be able to see this.

I'm studying in Hungary, here my voice means nothing compared to a well established professor. I wouldn't get much support from my fellow students either.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 1:20 pm

That being the case, what is his reasoning for accepting the other 100% tests since 1 flunking grade is a drastic discrepancy. 33% or less making that kind of grade would be more feasible, given that you said it was a tough exam. I know i'd be curious as a teacher if all but one of my students passed an exam with flying colors.

Wikan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Nov 2009, 1:30 pm

PlatedDrake wrote:
That being the case, what is his reasoning for accepting the other 100% tests since 1 flunking grade is a drastic discrepancy. 33% or less making that kind of grade would be more feasible, given that you said it was a tough exam. I know i'd be curious as a teacher if all but one of my students passed an exam with flying colors.

His official reasoning was that everyone had taken their studies more seriously after the previous bad results... :roll: How gullible can one get?

I was half shocked, half depressed at that moment.

Wikan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Nov 2009, 1:50 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
That was unfair of them not to include you, even if you weren't planning on cheating anyway.

At least you took the test honestly, even though you failed. The rest of the class will probably get in trouble for cheating at some point, and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you haven't done anything wrong.

Thank you for that, appreciate it, but as we all know it usually doesn't work out that way in real life.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 2:14 pm

It may not be in his best interests to find out about the class cheating. If you think about it, a low class score would reflect badly on his teaching ability.

I imagine it is very frustrating to fail honestly when the rest of your year passed by cheating. However, I wonder if one of the reasons they did not inform you of the answers is because they were afraid you would tell and get them into trouble?

Last year, one of our lecturers gave some of the students in my year some very good 'advice' for the exams (this is common practice in universities, as is setting 'mock exams' with near-identical questions to the real thing). Luckily, these students passed on the information to everyone and most of our year did pass. However, one person then informed the college and the professor got in serious trouble as a result.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 2:17 pm

Do you have proof that they cheated? apart from hearing about it? I hate cheating and it's awful that the entire class apart from you cheated. I don't think your lecturer wants to believe it was possible.

LivingOutsideTheBox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2009, 2:24 pm

Most professors ain't idiots.

If this one IS, no matter. If you failed, still means you need to work on the subject of the test.

Your score stands alone, so let's punt that aside for a sec..

*Punt*

Right, my point here is: If they all had near 100%, and you didn't, that's a really, really weird result.
Like a line of military men, and one's wearing a salmon-sashed Thunderbirds getup.

It's even fishier then 100% across the board. If your prof's anything but a complete loafer, he'll know you're honest. And they ain't.

Inability to flex into social standards means immunity to be bent by peer pressure.

Ask yourself what youd've done if you COULD'VE cheated... Don't cheat. And ya didn't. Yay you, by accident!

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Nov 2009, 2:36 pm

This sort of result is eye-bleedingly apparent to instructors. It's difficult to believe he is unaware of what happened.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 6:50 pm

He doesn't care that you're honest. You gotta stand up for yourself. His official reasoning sounds like maybe he knew it would happen. So, it's probably the usual problem we have with NTs where he just doesn't understand you. You're getting punished for not being an NT. Don't let it get you down. It used to get me down but now just makes me wanna work harder.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 10:05 pm

Sounds like the teacher needs to be shot.

WHat a f*****g stupid piece of s**t.

czczcz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2009, 2:42 pm

this is a toughy.

i say if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

but if you're the opposite way and you REALLY hate cheating and you're REALLY getting screwed here, i suppose you could work your way up the chain of command (i.e. tell the professor "i know the rest of the class cheated") and if he doesn't respond then go above his head to the dean and so on. the problem with this is you usually end up in a worse place than you started off.

a necessary evil of learning to assimilate into the NT world is learning to lie and cheat. it's unfortunate, i know, but by not doing what everybody else is doing you're putting yourself at an unnecessary disadvantage.