Page 5 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 5:29 am

Never went to my prom. Neither did most of my friends, who were considered dweebs, geeks, nerds, spasses, and the like, just like me. One of my buddies (who years later was my best man) had half jokingly suggested we should show up, and go streaking through the crowd. We were too gutless to try it, though. Maybe we should have!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

GeorgeM
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2010, 9:05 pm

I came very close to not going to my school's Formal (prom equivalent), which was a few weeks ago. But then I somehow got a date, and ended up having a great time; it was one of funnest things I've done throughout high school, and definitely gave me a chance to develop some of my social skills.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 10:56 am

I remember all the chaos when my brothers had their proms. I was in kindergarden at the time I thought it was stupid and I would never go to mine. Dressing up in an uncomfortable, feminine outfit and social things weren't my idea of fun. I was homeschooled for high school and never had a prom and never felt deprived.

prussianwolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 May 2010, 5:08 pm

my school had one but no one went, i think they are overrated and held too high

Kuramu
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2010, 10:15 pm

I didn't go to my Junior prom to save money for a trip I'm going on this summer.
I (kind of) also didn't want to go, because there were some people that I just didn't want to spend time with. I would rather be IMing instead, in this case.

ConfoundGordon
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 May 2010, 1:55 am

IMO, the high school prom is very comparable to Valentine's Day. Spend X amount of dollars just to please the person you're with, must include some high form of fake romance, everything must go according to plan, blah, blah, blah. It's as if the school and students putting their Hallmark touch to make it all cute. That makes me want to vomit without remorse.

Yes, I made the decision to never go to the prom. Sure, I may notice some people there, but would be bored out of my mind. I honestly would just sit on a table and daydream rather than dance. I'm not going to spend 5 hours and hundreds of dollars over "it'll be the time of your life" crapola. Never went and never regretted that choice. I'm still proud of it.

There are many willing to be anti-Valentine's Day, so why not be anti-Prom?

Freak_Contagion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2010, 3:12 am

The only thing that made me wanna go to the expensive-ass farce of a prom was a little idea I had with my ex.... We were going to go crossdressing to prom, just to screw with people's heads. It would've been fun, I think. When she broke up with me, my interest was instantly defused.

Admittedly though, we probably weren't going to do that anyways, because it's too expensive to just do something stupid like that, but it was certainly an amusing thought....

I enjoy random PMs. ^.^

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 5:48 pm

Skipped it -- I had dumped my GF shortly before that, so it would have been awkward, and I was never really close with anyone else at that place anyways. I didn't miss anything, and haven't regretted it in the 17 years since.

TheCaityCat
Raven
Raven

27 May 2010, 4:20 pm

If I had to relive being 17, I'd skip prom. It was pointless and boring with too many people and a lot of bad music. I was pretty much ignored throughout high school, and I didn't expect prom to be much different. I ended up leaving early.

versus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2010, 6:55 am

My school system has two "proms"-one at the end of elementary and one at the end of high school.I skipped elementary and i will skip the HS one too-i'd rather stay home working on a new song or reading one of my books for the Nth time.

Teung
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2010, 8:58 pm

If given the choice, I'd most likely end up not going. I honestly don't see how it's any different from any other party at High School.

However, it seems like I'd be denied the option of not going. After all, the Special Ed teacher is making the most severely Autistic kid attend prom.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 9:29 pm

My high school's prom was two and a half weeks ago and, as I predicted a couple months ago, I ended up not going. I don't really regret it; I saw some of my friends post pictures of the event on their Facebook, and from the looks of it, it didn't look like I missed out on much.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 12:09 pm

Teung wrote:

However, it seems like I'd be denied the option of not going. After all, the Special Ed teacher is making the most severely Autistic kid attend prom.

Whats the kid gonna do at prom?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 12:11 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Teung wrote:

Whats the kid gonna do at prom?

I say you both just call in sick.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 1:16 pm

Nah, it'd be a perfect socializing opportunity.
Except I go to a school for autistics.
Maybe some girl will invite me to her prom.
I sure hope so.

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2010, 1:45 pm

I didn't go, but I was the only one of the senior class who didn't. It was a requirement for everyone else to go but I got out of it. I got berated by a couple of classmates and some fibro friends for it but if I'd went I'd be out of there after the first song was blasted or sitting in a corner trying to cope with a migraine alone. It's no big deal, going to prom won't matter once you graduate anyway.