Blocked from SJU "Merit-Based" Scholarship Because

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

NEWater
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Dec 2009, 6:55 pm

I'm a student in Singapore looking to further his studies overseas, and during an American Education Fair on October, the representative of Saint Joseph's University from Philly was selling this merit-based scholarship by essay-writing competition to me. Purportedly, the terms were 4 years of fully paid-for tuition at $32k/year if I won the essay-writing competition that was to be held at the US Embassy here. The only requirement was for myself to get accepted through the application process.

I took the trouble of completing my application and sending all of these supporting documents, and then they come along and tell me that I cannot even try my hand at the scholarship now because I'm 22 this year, and could not be considered a "day undergraduate". Despite calling this a "merit-based" scholarship, I got rejected not because I was not good enough, but because I made the inadvertent mistake of being born too early. Despite my telling their representative here that I was 22, nothing was said in response to that. It's hardly fair that I could be blocked off like this when I spent my ages 20-22 in mandatory military National Service, and it was impossible for me to ask for a deferment or disruption unless I wanted to try for it by skipping town and face a life behind bars should I ever return home. I was never allowed to start higher education until I was done with holding a rifle for my country.

Are US colleges sneaky like this? This is thoroughly destroying my impression of education in the US now, because the sort of bureaucratic sneakiness on technicalities isn't any different from the government-obsessed Singapore that I live in.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 9:00 pm

NEWater wrote:
Are US colleges sneaky like this? This is thoroughly destroying my impression of education in the US now, because the sort of bureaucratic sneakiness on technicalities isn't any different from the government-obsessed Singapore that I live in.

Sometimes, and unfortunately things like this happen occasionally, but usually universities would be a bit more understanding of such a situation. I think the problem is that they are applying the same expectations they have for American applicants on you without realizing that things work differently in your home country.

A friend of mine in the math department at my school has the opposite problem- he got blocked from merit-based scholarships because he was too young.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 9:37 pm

Odds are they are unaware that hardly anyone could qualify for this scholarship based on the military service issue consuming their time during the ages they want to choose people from.

However, it's their money...their rules. If you let them know about the situation, they might consider revising the rules for certain nations, but what they are probably aiming for is to reward people of a common age group. Heck, having military service would make you atypical for most college students these types of awards are geared towards.

NEWater

04 Dec 2009, 10:10 pm

Orwell wrote:
Sometimes, and unfortunately things like this happen occasionally, but usually universities would be a bit more understanding of such a situation. I think the problem is that they are applying the same expectations they have for American applicants on you without realizing that things work differently in your home country.

If that is the case, why did they bother coming here? The email that was sent to the agencies here pertaining to the offer spoke of specifically targeting Asians from Asia, and said absolutely nothing about an age limit, and the competition itself was to be held at the US Embassy here. If they were only interested in projecting their American expectations on other violently varying cultures, then what's wrong with them? I tried explaining my circumstances of military service that disabled me from trying any earlier in life, and I've even sent a photocopy of my Cert. of Service to them to prove it, but to no avail. Is this indicative of how this college is going to treat their own veterans, too?

This incident is an absolute turnoff, and left such a rancid taste in my mouth that I don't feel like dealing with US elements if I can help it. I should probably look at Canada instead.

Goren

05 Dec 2009, 2:12 am

Wow. I never thought that US universities are such ageist discriminating institutions - after all their talking about "equal opportunities" and such! So much for my idealistic opinion about US education.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 3:06 am

Nevertheless, do not lose hope. We can try other colleges, if not colleges in other countries like UK even if they are kind of 'undesirable'.

NEWater

05 Dec 2009, 12:34 pm

#1:

Quote:
Dear Davin,
We only offer the scholarship competition for our undergraduate day students, it does not apply to those applying to PLS. Unfortunately, being over the age of 22, you would not be eligible for this. I apologize for the confusion but I was not aware of your age or application status when we first spoke. If you have any questions please let me know, but I highly encourage you to apply to PLS if you are still interested in studying at SJU. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Rachel Johnson

#2:

Quote:
Rachel,

This is nothing short of ludicrous. The email sent to CAE (Center for American Education) in Singapore mentioned absolutely nothing of an age limit, and Ms. Margaret Hartman did not mention a thing despite telling her my age during the US Education Fair on October.

Is there anything that could possibly be done about this? It's utterly disappointing that I am being blocked off because of a technicality regarding age and it speaks nothing of openness in the US if such offerings are decided on ageism despite claiming to be a merit-based offering, and does not make it any different from Singapore in this respect. How is it that an individual held back from application by two years of military National Service could be worth any less than one who will be 21 next year?

I strongly request my case to be revised, as I am thoroughly confident of winning this merit-based competition and think of myself as an ideal fit for SJU with spirit, intellect and purpose, but I will be absolutely incapable of joining SJU if nothing changes, because I simply am incapable of affording the fees on my own. My submitted application's goal was to compete for this merit-based offering in the first place - it will be the pinnacle of disappointment if I am denied this golden opportunity not because I was good enough, but because I committed the inadvertent mistake of being born early.

Yours sincerely,

Davin

#3 Read this carefully:

Quote:
Dear Davin,
Again, I cannot say how sorry I am for the confusion. The scholarship is not blocked off based on ageism, and I apologize that you have been made to feel that way; applying as a freshmen to our undergraduate day program is restricted to students age 21 or younger whether they are US citizens or international applicants. Our Professional Liberal Studies programs offer many challenging academic options of study for bachelor's degrees as well, and I can assure you PLS is an excellent option, unfortunately they do not offer the same scholarship opportunities as our undergraduate day program. I would, however, encourage you to contact Ms. Woodward ([email protected]) to inquire about schoalrship options for international students in PLS, there may be alternative means of financing a Saint Joseph's education through PLS of which I am unaware. Ms. Woodward may be able to provide you more details on various options.

Had I known of your age in advance I assure you I would have communicated the restrictions on applying to our undergraduate day program, and I am very sorry that you were not aware of this. I understand how it can be frustrating to take the time and effort to submit your application and supporting documents only to discover that there was a mis-communication. For any confusion on our part, again, I apologize and I hope that you still consider studying in the USA, if not at Saint Joseph's, for your Bachelor's degree. There are many excellent programs available, including those through our PLS program, that are available to help you advance educationally and professionally.

Please feel free to contact me with any further questions and, again, I apologize for the mis-communication and confusion that has caused all of this trouble.

Sincerely,
Rachel Johnson

First: The scholarship is not blocked off based on ageism

Secondly: applying as a freshmen to our undergraduate day program (that is a pre-requisite of qualifying for the scholarship) is restricted to students age 21 or younger whether they are US citizens or international applicants

Seriously?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 5:34 pm

Welcome to the absurdity of American academia.

Goren

06 Dec 2009, 7:50 am

Yeah, that's absolutely crazy. I think it's about time to start compiling a list of educational institutions known to deny or limit entry opportunities for applicants based on their race, sex, age or other factors beyond their control.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 8:50 am

I would rather see it as inflexibility on SJU's part. I suppose all Singaporeans would know how static our government is, laws here are fixed and there is no room for bending. It's hilarious that this educational institution is as rigid as our laws. Just as we can't chew gum in Singapore, we can't apply to SJU's scholarship because we are aged above 21. Should we continue to bother apply to this college that implicitly shuts out Singaporeans for the National Service we do?

Why doesn't SJU accept the fact that you did National Service that was required by Singapore's law and just accept you by exemption by the rule, if you really show that you are academically able to handle the high-level academic demands in SJU? Should you try other scholarships instead? Do not despair, just continue to try other alternatives.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 9:06 pm

ruennsheng wrote:
Why doesn't SJU accept the fact that you did National Service that was required by Singapore's law and just accept you by exemption by the rule, if you really show that you are academically able to handle the high-level academic demands in SJU?

The simple fact is that SJU has an agenda for that scholarship. End of discussion. You caught them in a snafu (you can't apply during the age bracket because your nation's laws mandate you be engaged in national service), and they don't know what to do about it. It is clear to me they are discriminating on the basis of age. If the funding for that scholarship is a private source, that is legal. I do not know why that age group is so important.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 10:43 pm

Although ageism sounds absurd, we will have to prove in our lives (if we are willing to work for this cause) that such ageism will not stop us from succeeding in our lives!

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 9:18 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Welcome to the absurdity of American academia.

It is not absurd for one thing since there was confusion on both ends.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 9:22 am

zer0netgain wrote:
ruennsheng wrote:
Why doesn't SJU accept the fact that you did National Service that was required by Singapore's law and just accept you by exemption by the rule, if you really show that you are academically able to handle the high-level academic demands in SJU?

The simple fact is that SJU has an agenda for that scholarship. End of discussion. You caught them in a snafu (you can't apply during the age bracket because your nation's laws mandate you be engaged in national service), and they don't know what to do about it. It is clear to me they are discriminating on the basis of age. If the funding for that scholarship is a private source, that is legal. I do not know why that age group is so important.

It is not discrimination for one thing, Zero because no one explain the requirements to NEWater nor did they asked him as well. So it is complete confusion on both ends. It is clearly not age discrimination.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 9:24 am

ruennsheng wrote:
Although ageism sounds absurd, we will have to prove in our lives (if we are willing to work for this cause) that such ageism will not stop us from succeeding in our lives!

I agree with ruen here because you should not let this issue bothered you. You will be successful in life.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 10:26 am

Thanks. Now I finally understrand that the whole case as just 'confusion of both sides'. What a pity. But yeah, just keep working hard and who knows you might succeed?