Do you think good grades are worth the effort?

Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 12:39 am

WhyNewton wrote:
Avarice wrote:
Well? Do you?

I personally, can't be bothered anymore. I don't see the point in doing homework which I can't finish at school or taking time out of my life for extra credit projects. This, for me boils down to the extreme hatred I have for school and the small hope that I get some horrific disease so that I don't have to go back.

People put so much effort in, and for what? An A grade? Where the hell does that get you? Why should you care?

Any thoughts? Has your performance in school had a significant effect on your later life?

Good grades is what got me into a college program, a program that many apply to get into, but not many get in.
Also, I feel great when I get good marks. I feel like I worked hard for them and in the end I achieved my goal!

Cyanide wrote:
I think standardized tests have a much bigger effect. I transferred into U of Minnesota with a 3.16GPA and a 30 on the ACT.

I would disagree. I don't do well on tests, no matter how hard I study, I never do well on them. I do fine with essay, homework assignments, projects, everything but tests. I find it silly to base someone capability on just one test.

Everyone learns differently, i learn best hands on, why should a test deny me access into a hands on program if I know I will do good in?

It shouldn't but it does. The people who make the tests don't care whether or not some people can't do tests, the care about the results of the test. Cyanide was right to say that they have a bigger effect even though they SHOULDN'T be so important, it doesn't matter to the people who mark them and send the results.

And yes, you wanted a college course that was tough to enter, of course you needed the grades, without them you wouldn't have had as high a chance of entry. I also learn best hands on, quite a few people do. More than the school system thinks anyway. For example, I remember how to solder a resistor into a printed circuit board, but I don't remember trigonometry, even though it hasn't been too long since I learned how to to do trigonometry.

I even remember how to smooth the edges of plastic using a file, but I did that two years ago, I don't remember anything else I did in that year other than the technical learning.

swansong
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2010, 1:13 am

Avarice wrote:
Well? Do you?

I personally, can't be bothered anymore. I don't see the point in doing homework which I can't finish at school or taking time out of my life for extra credit projects. This, for me boils down to the extreme hatred I have for school and the small hope that I get some horrific disease so that I don't have to go back.

People put so much effort in, and for what? An A grade? Where the hell does that get you? Why should you care?

Any thoughts? Has your performance in school had a significant effect on your later life?

And what's a better use of time during high school years?

ottorocketforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2010, 6:16 pm

Yes, I think it is important to get good grades, if you want a decent career! But, it isn't the end all of be all things.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 2:10 am

I take the Mark Twain approach: "Never let your schooling interfere with your education."

Being rather young, I'm in a stage where any grades I get don't count towards a GPA or similar. Which means that as long as I learn enough for the right subjects, and get good grades on the subjects which are easy, I can do next-to-nothing for other subjects as long as I make it to the next year, when I can drop them.

I do think getting good grades later on is important, though. It helps with getting into college and in college there's advantages, too. It also gives a sense of satisfaction if you had to work hard (e.g. an A+ on English is irrelevant to me because I find it extremely easy) and got good grades.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 3:28 am

As a wannabe electrician in the US, you'll go to a technical training school or do an apprenticeship program with a trades organization. Grades won't matter a blip then, other than they may make you look like a better candidate for what may be a limited number of apprenticeships. Check the entrance requirements for whatever training option you have, and tailor your work towards that. Be sure to pick up what general math you can in high school, it'll help.You won't need calculus. Almost nobody really needs calculus, ever, in life.... :wink:

If you plan to try to get into a University, you'd better have the grades. Otherwise, there's more to life. Go for the material and don't worry about playing the game. Just make VERY sure you have no intentions of going to University before you blow grades off.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 6:30 am

swansong wrote:
And what's a better use of time during high school years?

Good question, I would say that it depends on what you plan to do after High School. Perhaps learning more about that? Or, perhaps enjoying life?

Quote:
As a wannabe electrician in the US, you'll go to a technical training school or do an apprenticeship program with a trades organization. Grades won't matter a blip then, other than they may make you look like a better candidate for what may be a limited number of apprenticeships. Check the entrance requirements for whatever training option you have, and tailor your work towards that. Be sure to pick up what general math you can in high school, it'll help.You won't need calculus. Almost nobody really needs calculus, ever, in life.... Wink

If you plan to try to get into a University, you'd better have the grades. Otherwise, there's more to life. Go for the material and don't worry about playing the game. Just make VERY sure you have no intentions of going to University before you blow grades off.

It's pretty much the same in Australia, according to the Apprenticeship broker I was talking to yesterday. I plan on getting a school-based Apprenticeship so that I don't have to spend all week at that place.

I don't plan on EVER going to University either, though I still could, I've maintained Straight A's (except Math, which is a B due to me having trouble with the teachers accent) even though I haven't done any homework in weeks. Not to mention I've just not gone to school twice in five weeks because I couldn't be bothered going.

Still, I seem to be an exception to the rule, a friend of mine who actually NEEDS good grades for his eventual university course has a harder time getting them than I do, not much but enough. And he's better at manual work than I am. We need to swap skills.