An annoyance with college orientation leaders

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 8:08 am

For you all in college, or college bound that have dealt with orientation:

Is it just me, or do colleges pick the most perfect and most stereotypical students as orientation leaders? I somethings think as if they have their heads in the clouds. I'm not trying to be insulting (okay, maybe slightly), but to me, they all they think that they are hot stuff.

Same goes for those in Greek houses.

Sholf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2010, 8:29 am

The students who are the most manipulative and most concerned with status tend to be the ones that are chosen as leaders by school administrators. They're the ones who muscle their way into those roles. Their egos demand it. If you have classes with those sorts of students, they are not particularly gifted or even interested in the material, but they strive for As by sucking up and lying and always seeking attention. If you are bright, but don't participate in scheming and sucking up, you often confuse school admins because they expect such behavior from their "best and brightest". They think something is wrong, that you're not ambitious enough, or that you have low self esteem. I speak from the position of having attended American schools, public and private, honors and "normal" classes. The honors kids have always tended to be richer, whiter, and more conformist than the "normal" kids at the five K through 12 schools I have attended. I might have enjoyed the material in certain harder classes more, but dealing with honors students was always more stressful because they're more competitive. College is a little better, but I also think the "best and brightest" experience more pressure in college to conform and behave in that manipulative way by admins offering scholarships, grants, prestigious awards, etc.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 9:55 am

They pick the "beautiful" people, who can attract more beautiful people to their clique, because they're the ones who are all "rah rah" about their schools and their stupid traditions and tend to be the most generous alumni.

YankeesGamer24
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jul 2010, 11:05 am

My school typically picks people who are leaders in the school. Which means being involved in clubs and volunteer work. I'm definitely going to be there this year doing something, since I'm involved with some clubs, but I'm not an orientation leader. Next year I'll probably get chosen, but unless somehow I get a lot more comfortable talking to people I don't know by a year from now, I'll probably turn them down. Ah who am I kidding, screw the discomfort I'll do it anyway!

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 12:43 pm

Northeastern292 wrote:
Is it just me, or do colleges pick the most perfect and most stereotypical students as orientation leaders?

It's not just colleges that do that. :roll:

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 7:02 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Northeastern292 wrote:
Is it just me, or do colleges pick the most perfect and most stereotypical students as orientation leaders?

No, but they all seem like zombies to me, like they've overdosed on enthusiasm, almost if they were groomed for the job. And it's the SAME DAMMED people every year it seems.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 3:32 am

Northeastern292 wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
Northeastern292 wrote:

No, but they all seem like zombies to me, like they've overdosed on enthusiasm, almost if they were groomed for the job. And it's the SAME DAMMED people every year it seems.

Well, let's be more objective.

Average college student is going to spend the next four years and $50,000+ learning a skill that might be obsolete the day they graduate and enter into a job market which won't offer them anything better than the guy at the corner hardware store who never got past high school...and statistically they will be up to their eyeballs in debt.

Gotta distract them from the reality of what they're getting into somehow. Right? :lol:

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 9:19 pm

I'm not going to go to the orientation. If I have to pay them to attend, I AM NOT going.