Do you have a hard time motivating yourself to do work?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 9:44 pm

Some days I just don't do anything. Some days you feel why bother since my parents have that obsession problem. On the other you go to Mcdonald's and think DAMN I don't want that to be ME! (No offense but I worked there once and that's WHY I'm in college to gain knowledge and a CAREER!). Some of it is challenging and at times I just want to sit around watching t.v. or playing my videogames THEN I think one of those game companies BioWare is ran by two PhD's!! !! OMG! YA!! !! So I was curious does anyone else have a hard time motivating themselves? Ever since the first week of classes where my parents had that problem I've fealt this way. Obviously as an Aspie I can get obsessive and really get into my work when I want to. LOL!

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 10:38 pm

No, I just have a hard time working long hours. I've found that 3-6 hours is ideal for me.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 11:53 pm

More like a hard time motivating myself to even see even slight good about humanity in general. Also hard to motivate yourself into fixing yourself when you've done nothing but fail completely at life and you are too much of an individualist to even accept help.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

CammiTac
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2010, 4:11 am

I'm the same way.

I'm not going to lie, currently most days I just can't seem to motivate myself to do anything at all, whether it is school work or my own personal projects. I think this might be triggered by stress.

While there are other days, albeit rare now, where I get so engrossed in certain work that I work on it all day and forget about everything else. Sometimes this is triggered by the type of things you mentioned, like reading about some kid that tormented you in high school winning some grant for college, and suddenly being dead set on besting him, or hearing about a person starting out small and then becoming big in the field you are interested in and being refilled with hope that it is possible for you to do the same. Stuff like this. I only wish I was able to hold on to these feelings for longer.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 4:49 am

I might work for 10-12-14 hours on end if I have clear instructions and if I am left alone to do my job. Under these conditions I am very effective, at least more effective than most people.
By left alone I don't mean being alone in the room (which would be preferable though) but, rather, without people asking me about things or having to participate in group work , discussions, etc. If I know what I have to do, I might very well motivate myself and keep the work going, but that's only until I know where am I going or if there's a tangible result I have to get to.
If not, I won't work as I don't know where to start. The latter depresses me a lot, as it seems that most people go to work to spend the day, talk to others and have coffee together - and do some work in between. I can't do all these things - if there's work to be done, I do it and might work very hard for days and weeks to get it done. If there isn't, I won't show up at all and rather spend the day with my favourite obsessions.
I am lucky that a lot of my work is done on a computer so I can work from home without wasting time in commutes and pointless dscussions with workmates. It is OK with my bosses so far as they know that when they have something really urgent or need work to be done late in the evening, on weekends of on Christmas (love it) they can count on me.

Slayer_1425
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2010, 1:12 am

Yeah sometimes. But once I'm into it, I can sit there studying all night.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 1:47 am

I tend to procrastinate a lot, but I still manage to get at least most of my work done, even if it is at the last minute. :lol:

Silva20contraorder
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Nov 2010, 9:24 am

Not quite so, more than anything I find keeping high enthusiasm all the time, especially at times when its expected and perhaps even forced a little difficult, I would say im ok with motivation.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 9:49 pm

I have a hard time getting started on things. However., once I get started I can work for hours without a break.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

sharpteeth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2010, 12:20 pm

I am f*****g stressed out right now. I need to be left alone for a week without interruption if I'm going to do my work effectively.

Obviously that is not going to happen, and everybody is going to keep hounding my ass to attend obligatory meetings and s**t like that, so yes, I definitely feel frustration at getting started on my work. The sense of dread of future obligations is enough to stop my creativity cold in the meantime.

Blah blah blah.

Voice
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Nov 2010, 2:05 pm

Yeah, I'm supposed to be doing a paper right now.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2010, 2:14 pm

If what I'm supposed to do isn't related to my special interest, then yes. I also can't focus on it well once I've started because my mind keeps wandering. Not when it comes to my special interest, though, unless I'm very stressed out and my mind keeps telling me that I should do this and that.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2010, 2:27 pm

Intellectually, I know there are gung-ho perpetual motion self-starters, with neat desks and alphabetized book shelves.

But it remains hard to imagine. I do make myself do most of what I have to do, but it is not natural.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2010, 6:04 pm

If the work isn't interesting, yes. Which is why I'm on WP instead of working on my paper like I ought to be.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2010, 11:36 pm

the more i think about it the less energy i have. i have to be forced [literally cornered] into doing any kind of work, when there is no other option.

curiousn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Dec 2010, 6:50 pm

I procrastinate horribly, the pressure of the due date is what motivates me.