Can a 2-year degree be useful for jobs in computer science?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 6:17 am

Right now I don't have much money, nor do I have many skills I can use to get a decent job. I want to get a bachelor's degree, but right now I think maybe I should just get a two-year degree or at least some kind of certificate in something that will make better jobs available to me. In my current financial situation it's hard for me to imagine being able to afford a four-year program even with loans.

My local community college offers some 2-year programs like CIS programming, computer and network administration, and CIS web development, and I know there are plenty of online colleges that offer similar things. I saw one that was online from a university, and it is basically an introduction to web development. It is only about a semester's worth of classes, but came with a certificate upon completion. I'm confident I could easily complete something like that, but would it really be worth it on its own? The one I'm referring to would cost me I think $1700.

- Sherlock Holmes

Jermaine
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 May 2016, 2:47 pm

Depends on the job you're aiming for afterwards. I would have to say (considering the competition) that can be tough to find work, but possible. Right now; the computer science and IT field is flooded with "stylish", "cool, fun NT nerds" with Bachelors in comp sci who seem to just talk their way into jobs, but... I do know a few who have been able to bypass the iron barrier with a 2-year degree. These few weren't experts, but had what the bachelor degree kids didn't, experience, qualifications and certs. A degree doesn't matter so much after that.

To illustrate comparing it to a career as a chef (or someone else in the kitchen), these few were the ones who could cook great food no matter what. At the end of the day, no one cares about your culinary school training, where you went, who trained you, etc... yeah it looks good on paper, but you can get that in a book, it's... does your food taste good and were is your experience. As long as it's edible with a track record, you're in line.

If I had to choose one, I would go for Computer and Network admin 2-years, this; you need a cert for, the other two... not so much.

I don't know much programmers or developers who ever got certified for programming, that's the kind of field you just read up on, get some cheap development experience (freelance or free intern), put on your resume and just make sure you know what you're talking about in the interview, they might not even question it since it's so common to see now. Do the same for CIS programming and you have all three for the price of one.

Have you ever considered trade school ?

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 8:50 pm

Jermaine wrote:
Have you ever considered trade school ?

No. I have mostly been looking at programs at my local CC and programs online. I don't really know much about trade schools.

- Sherlock Holmes

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2016, 9:17 am

I agree about the networking. It depends on the area as to how many jobs there are. Plus you'd just have to keep at it to get a job after school. You might get one right away but you might have to keep working at it. The main thing to do is to LEARN. It's easy to get through a two year degree by going through the motions. Don't pay attention to your grades and make sure you truly understand each thing you're doing and why you're doing it.

I have a four year degree in networking that I don't use. I got it ten years ago and have never really used it. But I still remember binary math. Because I had a teacher who made sure I took the time to understand it. If I'd done that with everything I might have used the degree afterwards.

A two year programming degree would get you started and help you do it on your own, or transfer to a four year program. A four year degree in programming would get you a starting salary of anywhere from 65K to 85K/year in the United States, and probably more in some areas.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 5:36 pm

A degree might help, but it is not as useful as knowing the right people and blind luck.

I have netted me a decent job in IT (functionality testing) trough luck; i got a temp job as a translator for an IT company, got to talking to the owners and programmers about my interest and affinity with computer systems, so they kept me on as a junior tester, and i progressed to regular and senior tester within a year.

I now am the functional design supervisor and testing coordinator, less than a year after the job above, for a different company, with no degrees in anything, other than high school.

The degree gets you in the door to start the application process, but it is not as valuable as it seems past that point.