Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 9:28 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I'd love it if college was actually challenging, but it's not. College is merely expensive, but it is not a challenge.

Agreed.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 1:07 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Zokk wrote:
If you hate college, you're at the wrong one. That's how I see it, anyway.

How would one find the right one without wasting a whole lot of money in the process?

Choose carefully before they make a decision. That's what I did. A lot of schools will pay for transportation to come visit, waive application fees, etc for you to come check out their school.

And OP, I'm sorry that you feel like no college degree leads to no marriage. Personally I don't think that's true, but do whatever you've got to do. I'm in college right now and I absolutely love it, but I looked at a few schools and chose very carefully :)

Kvornan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jan 2011, 7:17 am

I may be studying something I love, but it's not exactly the best place to be, despite how easy it is to get lunch and the safety and such....

SolarShadow
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Feb 2011, 8:28 pm

First I suppose I should point out that I'm married and my husband doesn't have a degree so not everyone bases intelligence on whether or not a person goes to college. So there IS hope for people without college degrees to get married. :)

My issue with college (aside from the costs which I'm sure everyone has issues with so no need to add to that) is the "pre-requisits" that are attached to nearly ALL interesting classes and are currently keeping me from taking ANY biology classes (and I'm a biology major so being kept out of biology classes seems absolutely rediculous to me). I've been going to college for 4 years now and in all this time I have only been able to take TWO biology classes :evil: It has basically prevented me any hope of graduating simply because I cant seem to pass calculus, though I try believe my failure to pass is not entirely my fault (the math department here is notorious for its bad teachers) and since the majority of students cant get passed college algebra maybe its not so bad. Admittedly I got close with my 3rd attempt at calculus but a C- isnt "good enough" I have to have a solid C before I can get into biology. :cry:
At this point I WAS considering dropping out until I recently discovered that there is a new legal thingy that may be passed this year (and assuming it affects current students on the scholarship) that means if I fail to graduate within 6 years my "scholarship" will turn into a student loan and I will have to pay it back once they decide I wont graduate in time. So, thanks to all the pressure of "go to college or starve to death on the streets," not only will I probably not get my degree even if I stay in college (course for what little a bs degree is worth these days I may not miss it :roll: ) I will probably have $10k of debt (or more) suddenly dropped on me as a reminder of what a waste college was.
Would have been nice if someone had told me "if you go to college then you will starve to death on the streets while trying to pay off your debts" (hopefully a slight exaggeration 8O ) but then again with so many other people pressuring me to go I wouldn't have believed one or two people telling me otherwise.

Hm... this was longer than I thought it would be 8O Ohwell end rant. :)

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 11:35 pm

$10K of debt is a lot better than most people. Especially for being in for 4 years!

You're right, though. A Bachelor's in biology likely won't get you a job. For the core sciences (Physics, Chem, Bio), you pretty much need to have a PhD. One of my friend's old coworkers in retail had a Bachelor's in Microbiology... What good that did, huh?

I'm graduating in a couple months with an Economics degree! Oh the joy! I get to pay over $20K back in exchange for an incredibly mediocre education and wasting 4 years of my life. And of course, I have absolutely no job prospects. I thought I did recently (I went to a job fair), but upon further research, this company seems to be a huge scam.

It'd probably be better to cut your losses now. I wish I would've done that...

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 7:21 pm

Cyanide wrote:
$10K of debt is a lot better than most people. Especially for being in for 4 years!

Yeah, for me, even though my estimate of $20,000 was a bit off, I found out that I now owe $15,000 in principal and $1,000 in interest just for the year and a half of Rasmussen Crapage.

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 4:03 pm

I hate school. I'm only half way through my first semester and I'm already just about ready to chuck it all. It's humiliating because in the class that my diploma hinges on(i.e I get kicked out of the program if I drop it) I'm the only one who can't do the work. To make things the worst they could be I can't drop or fail out because I'm going on a government funding program and fear if I do either I'll end up owing this program back 10K(and that's for two years) that I can't afford to pay because I'm on welfare. Basically I'm trapped in a program I'm unhappy in as well because if I were to change programs I'd forfeit the funding.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 6:43 pm

LostInBed wrote:
I hate school. I'm only half way through my first semester and I'm already just about ready to chuck it all. It's humiliating because in the class that my diploma hinges on(i.e I get kicked out of the program if I drop it) I'm the only one who can't do the work. To make things the worst they could be I can't drop or fail out because I'm going on a government funding program and fear if I do either I'll end up owing this program back 10K(and that's for two years) that I can't afford to pay because I'm on welfare. Basically I'm trapped in a program I'm unhappy in as well because if I were to change programs I'd forfeit the funding.

That sounds like a financial nightmare. This is one reason why I hate the notion of welfare: it seeks to entrap you within itself. It's kinda like people who claim they're being charitable when they unload rotting food and ratty clothes upon you, except there's less ability to say "thanks, but no" since they would go by an all or nothing scheme with their assistance.

Your location says that you're studying accounting, which was my major and I've gone through a fair bit of its rigmarole. Are there any specific problem types or definitions which are confusing to you?

bjcirceleb
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Feb 2011, 11:03 pm

We used to get a free education in my state of Australia at TAFE, which is like US community colleges, 2 year courses. That changed two years ago and now there are high fees in place, which some students can get loans for. But there is a catch. You cannot get the loan if you have every done any form of study before. I cannot work in the field that I previously studiend in because of an acquired disability and now under the new laws I would not even be allowed to retrain. But students that were currently enrolled in the course can continue on the old fee structure, up to $800, but anyone on welfare (like myself) $150 per year. So I am remaining in the course even though I am no longer liking it. I liked it at first and could have graduated half way through, with a lower level qualification, but the risk is if I ever wanted to go on and do further studies without a change of law I would never be able to do that.

My previous unusable study is at university and I still have a debt of about $15,000 on that, but I owe that to the government and I will pay that back through taxes when my income reaches average wage earnings I have to pay and extra 3-5% tax or something like that. It is not charged interest but it does increase with the cost of living increase. So basically I would be paying back what the current charge is the year I pay it back. Better than what I hear about in the US, but not what I need.

The biggest joke is that part of my welfare payment is a payment for studying. You can only get that payment once unless you develop a disability that prevents you from working in the field you studied in. I am able to get that payment as they accept I can't use the previous study, but the loans and fees and the like are not exempted or even lowered on the same basis!! !!

JoeR43
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2011, 12:45 am

College would be awesome if this was 35 years ago, schools were filled only w/ people who truly wanted and deserved to be there (rather than middle of the HS class Sociology majors). Now, it's just a break from reality, I found it to be the easiest 4 years of my life (and I majored in Applied Mathematics).