Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 4:16 pm

My mother doesn't get it. I can't do the simplest homework and it upsets me. She had the nerve to say that I "feel the discomfort of something not being easy," and I give up. That's not true. I try something, f**k it up(several times), melt down and shut down. But it's fitting that I can't get and apply the simplest concepts because I have almost ten years of high school reports saying in one phrasing or another that I don't/didn't understand the concepts. She gets on her f*****g high horse with me when I say she doesn't understand when I'm right, she doesn't! She has a disability but when she was in high school and my age she wasn't living with it every day and it didn't then and still now doesn't effect her ability to understand even simple things, ie. it didn't/doesn't effect her cognitively and mine does.

bjcirceleb
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Feb 2011, 10:49 pm

We all learn in different ways, some people best by seeing things, some by hearing them, some by doing, etc. What you need to learn about yourself is how you pick pick up concepts the best and you need support to do that, and then support to translate your work into that mode for you. If someone is blind we do not criticise them for not being able to read standard print, instead we give them braille. Peoeple who are hearing impaired or deaf, even if they use chocler implants or the like are very visual learners, there brains are wired to need to look at what is happening around them as they cannot pick up all the sound cues that many people do. To expect them to understand a lecture or the like is nonsense and so they need to be taught specific ways of learning that help them. Similarly, people with any form of significant visual impairment are usually very oral learners and simply need things said to them over and over again. Some people need to physically do things to learn them. For example instead of telling a child "A" is an A or having it written down, they might need to run their fingers over an enlarged version of it, make their body into the shape, draw it out in a sand tray, etc. There are said to be 7 different ways of learning and the fact is you can learn if you could not you would not be able to communicate on this forum. What it seems to me is that you have not have had the support to learn how to learn best for you, and schools usually do not cater for the full majority of people, they simply expect us all to learn the same.

I myself have a great deal of difficulty with self motivation and in coping when things are challenging. I am now lucky that my college is now giving me 4 hours a week of tutorial assistance to assist me to do some work out of class time. The other thing I have is a notetaker provided for me as I am simply so overwhelmed by being in a class around so many other people that I cannot possibly concentrate on the class, what is being said, etc and even if I am vagually getting it, I sure as hell cannot listen and take notes at the same time. It has however taken me years to get anyone to understand what my needs are, and what my problems are.