I hate rude instructors. I just hate them.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 4:12 pm

How the hell can somebody be paid an instructor's salary and be so impatient and rude? I had this music teacher this past semester that was the epitome of smug. She'd get upset if I asked her to repeat anything, even putting her head on her desk at one point in a gesture of annoyance. She moved too fast. She let the class our early because she didn't like being there, instead of answering questions. She loosely worded her explanations. She started out nice in the beginning of the semester (always cheerfully saying hi when she saw me around campus) but got really mean toward the end. It's like she delighted in being a snot. She was a braggart. One time I emailed her with questions about my extra credit, and even prefaced it by saying I didn't want to bother her with trivial details, but I wanted to be sure if how i did it was okay. She responds with a nasty YES. I just wanted to knife her ass at times.

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2011, 5:14 pm

I know how you feel. My drum instructor was a sleazebag who was really snotty and then used to waste loads of the lesson by telling me how nice Liz Hurley's breasts were and winking at me!

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 6:40 pm

If I'm to display some respect toward a professor, then I'd expect some respect in return.

If I had a professor like that, I'd drop that class in a heartbeat.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 7:10 pm

I've had two prof. that were asses. First one I was so upset i dropped his class after an incident and spoke directly to the dean of his department...second one was an ass, he knew he was an ass and told us he was an ass on first day of class... but damn, an ass that makes his tests so easy an elementary kid can pass? For a mandatory class nobody cares about? I can live with that :)

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 8:31 pm

Descartes wrote:
If I'm to display some respect toward a professor, then I'd expect some respect in return.

Right.

If a professor is going to be an ass about everything, then they shouldn't be teaching college level (where people actually pay to go and most want to be there). Better yet, they shouldn't be in that field at all. OP, you should really consider writing about her to the head of the department at the end of the semester. If she's the head, then to the academic dean.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 9:52 pm

astaut wrote:
Descartes wrote:

Right.

If a professor is going to be an ass about everything, then they shouldn't be teaching college level (where people actually pay to go and most want to be there). Better yet, they shouldn't be in that field at all. OP, you should really consider writing about her to the head of the department at the end of the semester. If she's the head, then to the academic dean.

This was in the fall semester. I still think about it sometimes and get a little angry. She could be a bi*ch.

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2011, 8:41 pm

I had a teacher who was being hypocritical and unfair. He literally made me kill my gpa, whenever I asked him for help and whenever I asked him a question, he would give 5 minutes of help to each student and only gave me 30 seconds. I had a serious talk with my Math teacher during mid-semester and he convinced me to not drop his class too. I also remember I was only getting C's/D's on his tests and I was working my butt off literally. I should have not told him I get academic accomodations, because he is unfair to students in the DSPS program and I was like a 3.0 student (for 2 semesters) who thought his grades will go upwards but I guess i couldn't do so this semester. But that does not mean I will give up though regardless.

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2011, 12:13 am

Yeah, I've had my share of ones who've been outright abusive verbally to grossly incompetent. The verbally abusive ones, eh, I'm so used to that and once I started snarking back... well my grades fell fast, but my emotional well-being went up quite a bit.

I had one guy who would come in, set everyone work to turn in, collect their old stuff and leave after 5 minutes there. It was supposed to be a 2 hour (two classes back to back) basic class teaching accounting. Basic as in a 102 class. One day I decided, OK, if he can leave so can I, I'm gonna follow him and see where he goes. He left the class room, walked to the parking lot, went in his car and drove off campus. He was utterly incompetent, but at least it was a very honest way to be an exceptionally bad teacher. I went to the college counselor and told him I was not learning accounting unless the guy deign to teach it. He just looked at me and said "OK, lets find something else that can fill that requirement". Seems the guy was known for doing this, taking 15 minutes out of his real job at his accounting firm to collect our books, write 3 lines on the board and then go back to his real job.

Then I had my physics teacher. He'd spend 30 mins out of a 40 minute class laying on top of his desk talking about how AWESOME the last weekend's party they were all at was with the pretty girls on the front row. This guy had the audacity to accuse me of not paying attention in his class and being an unresponsive and difficult student. Well yes, by choice I wasn't out clubbing with the 18 year olds in my class like you were and that seems to be the brunt of your 'class'. I came to learn physics. Not find out how wasted you were. It became the only hard science class I flunked, that man could not explain physics to save his life. I wondered if he'd do better if he started using examples he understood like "when my bud drops this bottle of SoCo from the balcony 4 meters up cuz he's totally trashed here are the physics involved..", but he never seemed interested in connecting what he taught with the physics he was supposed to.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 5:35 pm

KBerg wrote:
I wondered if he'd do better if he started using examples he understood like "when my bud drops this bottle of SoCo from the balcony 4 meters up cuz he's totally trashed here are the physics involved..", but he never seemed interested in connecting what he taught with the physics he was supposed to.

You're hilarious.

Yeah, I noticed it's mostly community college where you get that unprofessional, snide behavior. I never had that problem at ASU.

ParadoxalParadigm
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2011, 2:38 am

I had a professor like that. I didn't learn after the first semester and took his classes the next two semesters. Unfortunately, he was the only other professor teaching my desired course. Whenever I asked him a question, he would proceed by answering, "Well, when I lived in Japan..." and I would tell him that he didn't answer the question. He brought his infant son to class multiple times, and his tests had nothing to do with what he taught us. At one point, when we were doing our teacher evaluation forms, my professor threatened us by saying, "Remember, guys, I know your handwriting. The fact that this is anonymous means nothing to me. Your grades can change." Needless to say, I talked to the Dean of that department after that particular incident.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 3:53 pm

ParadoxalParadigm wrote:
. At one point, when we were doing our teacher evaluation forms, my professor threatened us by saying, "Remember, guys, I know your handwriting. The fact that this is anonymous means nothing to me. Your grades can change."

Unbelievable!