procrastinating when you have too much work to do

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 12:50 pm

When I feel overwhelmed with too much work and should be working the most (like right now) I tend to procrastinate (like I am right now)! Then I get even more overwhelmed bcs not only do I have too much work to do, don't know what is most important to begin first but now have even less time to do it in. 8O I'm not a slacker...I actually do very well in school and am a perfectionist….. but this is my maladaptive response to being over-loaded with work. Anyone else do this?

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 1:02 pm

Hi Daydreamer!

Yes! Me! I have a lot to do today on a deadline and I can't get started! Or I did start before dawn when I work best but only got in an hour's work. And now I'm too panicked about the deadline to concentrate on doing a good thorough job. I wish there was some way we could help each other. (And anyone else who is a procrastinator.) Well maybe we can resolve to get a lot done and report to each other at the end of the day what we got done. And we can pretend like we don't have any deadlines, and are just sitting here in the same room working on our projects peacefully as if there is all the time in the world.
:)

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 1:12 pm

Yes, I do this. I just kind of got used to it. I'd like to change, but the cure seems worse than the disease.

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 1:33 pm

I'm the same. I'm not sure why.

PaleBlueDotty
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Mar 2011, 2:32 pm

oh yessssss!
i also call it the "prioritizing the to-do-list loop", :wink:.
another good description of the symptoms, but sadly no cure :( , can be found here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P785j15Tzk&feature=related[/youtube]

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2011, 2:47 pm

YES! YES! YEEESSS!! ! 8O

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 1:30 am

purchase wrote:
Hi Daydreamer!

Yes! Me! I have a lot to do today on a deadline and I can't get started! Or I did start before dawn when I work best but only got in an hour's work. And now I'm too panicked about the deadline to concentrate on doing a good thorough job. I wish there was some way we could help each other. (And anyone else who is a procrastinator.) Well maybe we can resolve to get a lot done and report to each other at the end of the day what we got done. And we can pretend like we don't have any deadlines, and are just sitting here in the same room working on our projects peacefully as if there is all the time in the world.
:)

I do my best work late at night (definitely not at dawn) but I know the feeling of being too panicky to do my best work! Okay I guess I responded to this message too late since the day is over...but I resolve to get a lot done tomorrow.....I'll let you know how I do. I did get some work done today...but probably not enough. I have 2 exams a paper and a presentation due this coming week or the Tuesday after that (in the case of one VERY BIG exam)! You can report to me as well if you'd like. Sooo....basically I resolve to stop procrastinating....tomorrow (a bit ironic :lol: ) Your last comment evokes a very nice mental image....I'm calmer and more blissfully deluded just thinking about it :D

Last edited by daydreamer84 on 12 Mar 2011, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 1:31 am

PaleBlueDotty wrote:
oh yessssss!
i also call it the "prioritizing the to-do-list loop", :wink:.
another good description of the symptoms, but sadly no cure :( , can be found here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P785j15Tzk&feature=related[/youtube]

:lol:

VolcanicEruptions
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2011, 2:50 pm

I can completely relate to that; I have approximately 8 pieces of coursework that are in dire need of completing - the deadline for the five pieces of science coursework being on Friday. However, I find it difficult to complete work as soon as it is set, as I cannot become motivated or I repeatedly lose motivation if attempting it; consequently, the work ends up being left to complete at the last minute.

Fields
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2011, 11:16 am

Ugh, yes.

I get overwhelmed with any amount of school work. To actually get things done, I have to wait until the very last moment before it's due. But then, sometimes, this turns into not doing it at all.

I don't think I'm a very good student. :lol:

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 12:23 am

I use procrastination as an escape mechanism too.
The best advice I can offer is my father's: ignore all but one task until said task is done.
Tell yourself it'll all be done eventually. Then pick a task, it doesn't matter which, and work. Forget about all other assignments, and as much as possible (given time constraints), ignore the time. It isn't easy, but I personally can't get anything done without following these rules. Hope this helps.

Now get back to work!

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 12:49 am

TheMidnightJudge wrote:
The best advice I can offer is my father's: ignore all but one task until said task is done.
Tell yourself it'll all be done eventually. Then pick a task, it doesn't matter which, and work. Forget about all other assignments, and as much as possible (given time constraints), ignore the time. It isn't easy, but I personally can't get anything done without following these rules. Hope this helps.

Now get back to work!

Good advice! I can't always follow it though........

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 12:50 am

Good advice! I can't always follow it though......

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 2:36 am

TheMidnightJudge wrote:

Now get back to work!
That is definately good advice, but unfortunately I find myself going 'but I've got to do this too!' so it doesn't work.

NatureFantasy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2011, 4:10 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
When I feel overwhelmed with too much work and should be working the most (like right now) I tend to procrastinate (like I am right now)! Then I get even more overwhelmed bcs not only do I have too much work to do, don't know what is most important to begin first but now have even less time to do it in. 8O I'm not a slacker...I actually do very well in school and am a perfectionist….. but this is my maladaptive response to being over-loaded with work. Anyone else do this?

Same here!

georgewbush
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2011, 5:55 pm

The cure to procrastination:
http://www.paulgraham.com/procrastination.html