Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Andie09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2011, 10:07 pm

I'm currently in that stage just after diagnosis when you start to question every somewhat abnormal trait you have and try to decipher whether it is Asperger's related or just a quirky personality trait.

My main special interest is school. Its all I can think or talk about. It tends to drive my roommate crazy, but often times I just can't help it. I have no life outside of it. One thing I like to do is pick several possible degrees I could pursue and then, using the degree requirements sheet, map out my entire four (or five) year course plan. I take it a step further and also estimate what grade I will make and add up all the points divided by credits to track my GPA for every semester. I compare the different final GPA's of the different degrees to see which would be most advantageous. I'm wondering if anyone else does something like this? Does this sound like Asperger's?

I also do this repeatedly with estimating money spent and earned over the course of a year. I know it's impossible to predict grades or how much you will spend/save accurately, but I still do it. It's relaxing and fun.

gnatterfly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2011, 12:14 pm

Andie, ur not alone at all. It's my first year back in college, since 06. I'm 24 years old and better able to handle the burden now. My husband is aspie too, but even HE notices my obsession with my GPA. It MUST be higher than 3.5 or else I freak. It's been a breeze this semester, but I get SO very paranoid, that I take on every extra credit assignment possible, just in case I hit a speedbump. It's maddening but also compulsive, and compulsive usually equals FUN in my book!

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 6:32 pm

As a first-year college student who's taking somewhat challenging courses this semester, I'm not as worried about my GPA at the moment as much as I'm worried about simply passing my courses.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 8:29 pm

I am highly obsessive when it comes to my grades. I'm in high school still, so for me they're all percentages. I need them all to be over 95% (on the final report card--I can deal with, but dislike, a test that is between 90% and 95%). I think there are plenty of NTs out there who obsess over marks too, though.

However, the way you map out your possible college career certainly sounds more extreme then most people. As you say, it's a special interest. So that means you'll be more obsessive then most people. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm not like that personally, but it seems like the kind of things I'd do if it weren't for the fact that I know what I want to major in.