How is or was your high school social life?

Page 2 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 6:31 pm

I got along with a few geeks.. few popular kids (who kinda only had me around because I was their neighbor) .. but thats it... I was considered weird but innocent, nerdy and intelligent... My teachers thought I was lazy and clumsy because I did well in science and literature but not in social sciences or maths (not for the lack of trying.. I had to work very hard to pass these subjects) ... I have been diagnosed with motor coordination disability as well so math was hell!

Thundermist04167
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 May 2011, 3:31 am

pree10shun wrote:
I got along with a few geeks.. few popular kids (who kinda only had me around because I was their neighbor) .. but thats it... I was considered weird but innocent, nerdy and intelligent... My teachers thought I was lazy and clumsy because I did well in science and literature but not in social sciences or maths (not for the lack of trying.. I had to work very hard to pass these subjects) ... I have been diagnosed with motor coordination disability as well so math was hell!

In some ways, you sound like me. Science and literature are interesting and relatively easy; but don't hit me with math!

But the term "social science" is a sham. There is nothing "scientific" about "socializing." Those who are good at socializing tend to make up the rules as they go. They are vague and ever-changing. If you demand that they justify their "social rules," they complain that YOU have an "attitude problem," and that YOU don't understand "social cues."

Baloney! The REAL problem is that THEY need to quit PLAY-ACTING, and be honest and forthcoming about their intentions!

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 2:19 am

Thundermist04167 wrote:
pree10shun wrote:

In some ways, you sound like me. Science and literature are interesting and relatively easy; but don't hit me with math!

But the term "social science" is a sham. There is nothing "scientific" about "socializing." Those who are good at socializing tend to make up the rules as they go. They are vague and ever-changing. If you demand that they justify their "social rules," they complain that YOU have an "attitude problem," and that YOU don't understand "social cues."

Baloney! The REAL problem is that THEY need to quit PLAY-ACTING, and be honest and forthcoming about their intentions!

Oh well my parents are both math majors so there's this pressure at home... They don't understand my aversion towards math... that makes me hate it more :p ... Esp calculus! Boy am I glad I will not be doing any integrations for sometime now :p I loved geometry, probability and algebra though! But because of my NLD I mess up the + and - signs all the time on exams! Math had been pounded into me by my mom who is a math prof so atleast that's saved me in math at school...

I was very natural at literature and science...

Oh I hate socializing... I only have one friend and she is my soulmate plain intentioned and wonderful... The rest of the world I am stranger to! I don't really need intimate relationships just honesty and no small talk...! !! !

keira
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 2:55 am

My high school social life was nonexistent. Otherwise excellent :lol:

TheRealMe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jun 2011, 2:59 pm

High School sucked. I was very depressed for all the time I was there. Never hung out with people or got involved in any activities or got invited to parties. Only classes like carpentry or machine shop could pique an interest out of me. I often showed up late and left early and probably didn't say anything. It was pointless

Now I'm 23 and planning on attending university in September. I feel that this time will be a lot better for me socially and emotionally.
It makes a big difference if you want to be there.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 3:10 pm

Fairly non-existant, if anything.
I did interact with some, but was an outsider at best.

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 9:56 am

Life up to 10th grade was pretty miserable. I had few friends and spent most of my free time alone at home playing video games.

10th grade came and I pretty much did a self imposed MTV "MADE" episode. It was HARD! joined sports teams and trained for athletics everyday from 4pm -7pm. and through befriending athletes, cheerleaders and picking up surfing I joined the ranks of the popular kids who remain my friends today

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 10:05 am

The only students who put up with me were other misfits. I was about as geeky as one could get. Teachers only tolerated me because they were paid to. I really didn't have a high school social life. After school, I had to go straight home to go to work (employed by my parents). I didn't earn much money for the jobs I did, but it meant that I could still have a roof over my head, food to eat, & a bed to sleep in). If I refused to work, my parents probably would have thrown me out, so work was more important that a social life. I hate to say though, there weren't many activities designed for a geeky girl who was clearly odd like me. If you weren't into the normal social scene of extra-curricular stuff, or could participate in after school sports, pickings were slim. Dances were out of the question. No one in their right mind would have ever dared to ask me out.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

PaleMoon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jun 2011, 8:15 pm

High school was miserable for me. I hit a brick wall in social skills around middle school and other girls in a group can smell weakness a mile away (seriously).

Lots of "mean girl" stuff. A few friends I hung out with occasionally. Overstimulated in class from people constantly talking and moving, which made me irritable. Was made fun of for being a "nerd" and always answering questions in class.

So glad I'm in college. People want to be there. They come to me to help them on homework and projects. They're quiet. I study what I want to, it has a purpose. Sweet, blessed college. Where have you been my whole life?

QuietAspie01
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jun 2018, 5:33 pm

Search "What about the droid attack on the wookies" on Youtube. It is 58 seconds. I can't post links yet.
The video is funny, but it reminds me of my social life at school. A lot of times though, when I talk I end up realizing that I've been talking to nobody and I feel embarrassed.

When I am walking in the hall at school, I feel like I am making a bunch of mistakes.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Jun 2018, 8:06 pm

I had a few friends at skewl but I never did anything outside of skewl with them except for one person & we didn't do a lot either but he was really nice to me & my best friend. I thought I got along with most of the people at my high-skewl for the most part but looking back I realize that some were really making fun of me & putting me down but I was too retorted to realize it. I never went to any skewl function after skewl that I didn't have to go to. I didn't care & just wanted to be left alone when I got home because I was so wound up & stressed that I needed most of my time to relax. My parents on my back about skewl stuff just made me have LOTS meltdowns. I struggled in skewl aLOT due to dyslexia & other related learning disabilities & I NEVER had any desire to go to college because of how much I struggled.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Floratro
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Jul 2018, 1:48 pm

The only friend I have is one I know from school (and only at school; I don't really speak to anyone outside school). I can get along very well with him and feel completely comfortable talking to him (although, we never speak about serious subjects but it's so satisfying to make him laugh). I do know a lot of other people in my school, but every attempt I make at getting to know them better has failed so far. (Well, almost every attempt. There is another student with whom I talk fairly often because she, like me, has extended time for tests, meaning that we both have our tests at different times than other students.)

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 6:36 pm

High school was amazing and I wish I could relive it with the friend group I had. College was a huge step down in terms of fun and happiness.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 6:44 pm

I had no social life in high school.....

zkg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2018, 6:59 pm

WHAT high school social life? I only began partying regularly in college...

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 7:14 pm

No social life, really. I went to a different high school than the people I went to elementary school and junior high with, so I didn't really know anyone, no one bothered to get to know me, and goodness knows I didn't have the courage or confidence to take the first steps on my own. There were a few classes where I answered questions a lot and the teachers really liked me because I was quiet and a good student, but otherwise, I was pretty much invisible, and have been ever since, to the point that I much prefer it this way now - I really don't want to have to handle a social life on top of everything else I'm dealing with. I was recovering from my first round of major depression (which lasted most of junior high) at the time, too.

For me, college wasn't a whole lot better, because living in a dorm, even when I managed not to get a roommate (had one my first year, it wreaked havoc with my mental health, solely because I'm not suited to living in such close quarters with others, nothing whatsoever to do with my roommate personally), it was a sensory nightmare, and I was also dealing with the effects of the aforementioned first year - and I was very surprised that people in the classes didn't act a whole lot better than people in my high school classes, I was expecting them to be more quiet and studious since they'd paid to be there and all.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"