How is or was your high school social life?

Page 5 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 9:07 pm

Liked, no bullying. Democratic

Hated no friends

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2019, 10:53 am

I was a bit of a nonentity, although fairly recognisable due to being both one of the tallest people in my year group and one of the heaviest. This may be why I wasn't bullied that much - people could see that I could fight back.

Most of my lunchtimes were spent in computer rooms and libraries.

naresh1mann
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2019, 6:15 am

Nice.

Darth Unicorn
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jul 2019, 4:26 pm

Primary school was fine and bearable, didn't make any friends but I didn't really have the concept of a friend back then or what it even was, never occured to me.

Secondary school (High school) was atrocious and I hated it and ended up dropping out cause of bullying and just not liking the bigness of it all.

Eventually went to a Special Needs school, much better and the best school ever, although I still didn't make long-term friends.

Then college I hated the social atmosphere, everyone in my course class was annoying cause they didn't really want to be there (it was an entry level course so most there only chose it cause they didn't know what else to do or their parents forced them on to it) so of course they mostly acted out and misbehaved. I chose to do animal care cause I didn't know what else to do / didn't really have the grades to do much else anyway, plus I liked animals anyways (Animal Care course, which also included some horticulture). But it was real hard mentally cause of the social atmosphere (the work was fine and easy), I dropped out for a little bit on the 2nd year but finished it in the end.

Since then I have just been at home to avoid a mental breakdown.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 4:31 pm

Better than it is today.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 4:39 pm

Two schools, two countries, zero fun, one extended headache.

oddnumberedcat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jul 2019, 11:06 pm

It wasn't great. Miles better than middle school, at least!

I never got bullied, but I also never fit in. That was painful in and of itself. I don't think the other students disliked me, but I don't think they knew what to do with me, either. I always felt like I was on the outside looking in, able to watch, but unable to join.

Everyone told me it would get better when I got to college. That was true, but it was some very, very lonely years of waiting.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 7:37 pm

It was hell on earth for me. I still bear the scars thirty years later.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 8:01 pm

School and college... (Was more like my collage years then college years! :lol:) Both schools and college were the worst times of my life, but this does not mean it was all bad. It was just I had a hard time of it. Much bullying on and off by kids and sometimes even teachers... (Some teachers were nice. A few were not). When in college it reached a climax just before my final exams when the whole class turned against me.... I became so petrified that on one ocasion I was just about to dive straight through the glass of an upstairs classroom window in the hope I would land in the top of a tree which was about 30 ft high below so I could make my escape. I stood on the desk ready to run and then the teacher came in.... (And told me off but at least I could make my escape the normal way out the classroom with him there). I gave up trying to pass exams ad failed most of my course. I just didn't see the point of doing anything but surviving. Why disn't I mitch school or college? Because if my Dad found out I would be in deep trouble, so I just had to keep going until the end. I hated college and school. Due to prosoprognosia I was always homesick. I was dead quiet and withdrawn. I was bullied at times... If it wasn't for a few really special people I just don't know how I would ever have coped. One person I HAVE to mention here. When I was 11 I moved up to secondary school. That is where everything started to fall apart. Primary school.. The first few years of age 4 and 5 were hell, but... age 11 to 12 years I had some really tough times. But during this time, a prefect who was about 17 and then 18 years old took a liking to me and she stood in and made sure I was ok at break and lunchtimes. She was awesome. I just HAVE to name her. Sandra Abraham :heart: . If it wasn't for her help, I juat don't know how I would have coped. She was an an angel to me! Wow! What a young lady! Whoever ended up marrying her must have had one of the very best wives on the planet!

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 3:13 pm

I was home-schooled from 5th to 11th grade and for 11th to 12th grade I went to an alternative school for people over the age of 22 who did not have a diploma or GED. Everyone was too focused on getting their diploma to fraternize.There was zero bullying at this place. People were here because they wanted to be not because the government forced them to be there. If there was no bullying, I usually thrived in school. I thrived at this place. I was a teacher's pet and my nickname among the teachers was "star student". I didn't have a social life, but I didn't need or want one either.

ConverseFan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2019, 9:23 pm

I am starting to realize that I have a good social life. I'm definitely not popular but I have really good friends who understand. I sort of like school. It definitely gives me anxiety but I feel a purpose there. I feel happy when I complete work and hand it in. It takes me longer to do assignments and I am in Special Education but I feel confident knowing the material rather than not learning. I have good relationships with my teachers. They like me. I'm graduating when I am 21.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 1:39 am

ConverseFan wrote:
I am starting to realize that I have a good social life. I'm definitely not popular but I have really good friends who understand. I sort of like school. It definitely gives me anxiety but I feel a purpose there. I feel happy when I complete work and hand it in. It takes me longer to do assignments and I am in Special Education but I feel confident knowing the material rather than not learning. I have good relationships with my teachers. They like me. I'm graduating when I am 21.

Excellent. :)

Hypnotized
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2019, 12:53 am

I went to special ed, it was kind of an unspoken fact that everyone there was autistic or had some other form of disorder. I had loads of friends. But everyone had friends, even those who preferred not to talk and just play games would quietly play DS games together. Bullying rarely happened there.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2019, 10:29 am

High school days were the worst years of my life. I regret not quitting after Freshman year and not bothering with High School and College, Years wasted and now I am unemployable and will never ever work. My high school years of being bullied and picked on every day has destroyed my life. I have severe anxiety and depression as well as Aspergers.

Confused_Sloth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2019, 2:59 am

Neutral, I had only one friend and was rather resistant to any teasing or bullying and I didn't mind being alone too much. However, there were many I think embarrassing social faux pas that I did that I wish to forget forever, so I try to forget my high school life in its entirety.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Cavycat

14 Feb 2020, 11:45 pm

Basically non-existent outside of group work. I graduated a year and a half ago.