Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 5:26 pm

I was recently diagnosed with aspergers. While self-diagnosed, I kept it pretty much quiet because it was not official. Once I got it official, and was told I could apply for benefits as a student with a disability and also get academic accommodations (such as a private room for exams), I have told a couple of my professors. For the most part people have seemed really understanding. I told one professor today because I have always been very vocal in that class so he kind of knows me, and I am applying for a private exam room....I really think I might have made a mistake. I haven't had any of the awful experiences a lot of you have had with people treating you differently, etc. And it is not what he said exactly....so maybe I am interpreting this wrong as I often do. Anyway, I explained it to him, and got a "thanks for telling me" response (through an email). That was it, nothing else was said at all. Am I worried over nothing that I made a mistake? I don't know what I even think should have been said, but I worry because I always seem to say the wrong things. I don't even know why I am panicking over it, but I really don't want people to look down on me which is why I wait before telling people.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 5:42 pm

Well, if it helps, I got a lot of "yeah, so?" reactions when I finally got up the courage to tell a few people. The response was so underwhelming that I've stopped telling anyone. I don't think anyone particularly cares, to be honest. Not that they're cold hearted bastards -- it just doesn't matter that much. I don't know what I was hoping for. After all of the emotional nonsense wore off, turned out I was the same guy walking out of the psychologist's office as I was walking in...

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 12:51 am

I like Raining Roses response, because I don't think they were just being mean but that it doesn't make a difference to them. You should tell them if you want them to treat you differently. NOT badly, but differently. Like when I have a breakdown, and I want them to understand that certain things trigger that, they will help me avoid those things.

You didn't make a mistake, but maybe you should tell them what your goal is.
Like, most men (I am assuming the prof. is a guy), I have read, are goal-oriented.
So if you already applied for it, then he might not specifically care because he can't really do anything, unless you want him to treat you differently.

Just remember that anytime you tell anyone, if there is a goal involved...a reason.
Then, if they are like "so what" then they are really being rude instead of thinking "so, what"...do you want me to do about it.

Do you understand what I am saying?

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 2:40 am

chrissyrun wrote:
I like Raining Roses response, because I don't think they were just being mean but that it doesn't make a difference to them. You should tell them if you want them to treat you differently. NOT badly, but differently. Like when I have a breakdown, and I want them to understand that certain things trigger that, they will help me avoid those things.

You didn't make a mistake, but maybe you should tell them what your goal is.
Like, most men (I am assuming the prof. is a guy), I have read, are goal-oriented.
So if you already applied for it, then he might not specifically care because he can't really do anything, unless you want him to treat you differently.

Just remember that anytime you tell anyone, if there is a goal involved...a reason.
Then, if they are like "so what" then they are really being rude instead of thinking "so, what"...do you want me to do about it.

Do you understand what I am saying?

This thread is making me feel better as I got upset when I got the "yeah so" type of response to telling a prof that I have AS earlier this year and I wondered what that meant............but I guess he might just be thinking "so what do you want me to do' or something to that effect.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 7:02 am

When it comes right down to it, this is a deeply personal thing, and we're asking a lot of people to get as worked up about it as we get. No one's going to throw a party or hold a press conference or offer to publish your memoirs. There's *tons* of great information on this site on how and when and why to disclose, so I won't repeat that. I would just caution anyone who has her hopes way up that the response to disclosure is likely to be (to use a word I used earlier) underwhelming.