Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

PinkRangerV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Aug 2011, 4:55 pm

I'm freaking out for (as far as I know) no big reason. My brain just attacked me, or at least that's what it feels like. It's my first day of college, and my first class (English, I've had two previous classes while I was in HS) went well, although I've been on-edge all day, and my second class, Psychology, I walked in a bit late and almost as soon as I sat down felt like I was going to melt down. The heck is going on? Has anyone else done this? Normally I'm fine with school, but like I said, it's my first day of college; is this normal?

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 5:05 pm

Sounds normal to me. It helped me that my roommate and I happened to have the same first class so we woke up together and walked there together. Do you live with anybody taking your same classes so you could walk together and make tomorrow easier?

PinkRangerV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2011, 11:46 am

purchase wrote:
Sounds normal to me. It helped me that my roommate and I happened to have the same first class so we woke up together and walked there together. Do you live with anybody taking your same classes so you could walk together and make tomorrow easier?

No. Thankfully, I've only got one class today. I'm really starting to think that everyone hyping up college might have been BS...

n3v3rm0r3
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Aug 2011, 1:51 pm

I'm starting classes on the 7th and every passing day I feel more anxious as the day draws near. I know if I don't feel prepared or if I'm late then I'm likely to meltdown. I can't speak for you but if I was even a little late for class that would really throw me off and I'd probably have a little freak out myself.

If this sounds like this is the case then you know in the future to be extra prepared and if being late is unavoidable you know in advance how you will feel. Do you have coping strategies for when you have a meltdown? Something calming you do? It was suggested to me that I talk to my Profs and give them a heads up about my anxiety and meltdowns so I can leave briefly to calm down. I think that's excellent advice. Perhaps you can talk to your profs and let them know you occasionally get overwhelmed. They will likely be understanding.

PinkRangerV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2011, 2:46 pm

n3v3rm0r3 wrote:
I'm starting classes on the 7th and every passing day I feel more anxious as the day draws near. I know if I don't feel prepared or if I'm late then I'm likely to meltdown. I can't speak for you but if I was even a little late for class that would really throw me off and I'd probably have a little freak out myself.

If this sounds like this is the case then you know in the future to be extra prepared and if being late is unavoidable you know in advance how you will feel. Do you have coping strategies for when you have a meltdown? Something calming you do? It was suggested to me that I talk to my Profs and give them a heads up about my anxiety and meltdowns so I can leave briefly to calm down. I think that's excellent advice. Perhaps you can talk to your profs and let them know you occasionally get overwhelmed. They will likely be understanding.

I don't have an official DX yet and I'm not sure if all of them believe Asperger's exists. :headwall: I did tell the teacher in psych, and she's pretty understanding, but unless it gets really bad I'm just going to try and hide meltdowns if they pop up in other classes. Some of my teachers are real characters, and I just want to fly under the radar at the moment.

...I'm starting to wonder if my avatar should be a chicken....:p

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 7:46 pm

I don't really get anxious about going to class......not directly, but I do sometimes get anxiety attacks in class I think it is related to my PTSD that I aqquired during a lock down at my highschool in which a student was shot. But yeah it would make sense that if they idea of your first day of class at college makes you anxious you could experiance that sort of thing...Its fairly normal, I mean if you feel very anxious every time you are in class and it interferes with the class it is an issue but its not abnormal to get anxious and have a bit of an anxiety attack.