Drop-out of high school, get GED, straight to Univ. online..

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Tacitus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Nov 2011, 3:34 am

So many young High school aged people have written in this "School and College Life" section that they don't like school or at least don't like being forced to attend.

If I had it all to do over again, I would have left high school and got my GED and then went straight to college online.

Western Governor's University ( WGU.edu ) was founded by 19 western state governors and charges cheaply and by the term not by the credit and will allow you to prove you know your stuff and you can get credit and graduate early. Its the only all online school in the US that the US Dept of Education recognizes .

I am not a fan of the US Dept of ED, but still employers think what the US Dept of Ed thinks matters, so, maybe it ( US Dept of ED ) has some uses if used strategically.

Anyway, I am getting sloppy in my writing now, so sleep must be on the way... so bye for now.

DreamSofa
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2011, 8:22 am

Recognition is not the same as accreditation. Generally, if a university is not accredited by a regional body, it is considered not to be on par with other universities.

Also, it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking "oh, I don't like being forced to go to class, so I'll study online and it will be a doddle". Wrong.

In many instances, studying online is more challenging than studying face-to-face. Sometimes, course materials do not go up in time for students to revise before assessments. Universities do not always employ people who know how to design teaching materials for online delivery. Although the basic instructional design concepts are the same, the materials and how they are delivered must be altered to be distance- and online learning friendly. Further many students find the lack of interaction either with their lecturers or with their classmates difficult. For example, it can be difficult to contact a lecturer to clarify a point or to receive an answer to a question. There can be issues with isolation - this is even more troubling to students who might already feel isolated because of Asperger's. Finally, anyone who studies online has to be extremely good at time management and to be self-motivated: often, there isn't a set schedule unless face-to-face class time which can act as prompts for attendance and engagement.

Tacitus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Nov 2011, 7:02 pm

DreamSofa,

WGU is accredited regionally and locally also.

Secondly, I wasn't saying that my suggestion was good for everyone. I am 33 and have always had a hard-time not getting a meltdown in a class full of strangers; so for me, college online has been the best option.

As for me at high school, I was miserable then. I am academically inclined and love learning, I am obsessed with the desire to know everything!; of course, I don't know everything, but I am disparately trying to know everything. It is driving me crazy.

The point, reiterated, is that what I am suggesting is not necessarily the only way to do things, but it is the way I see things.

Besides, not only in a classroom setting did I often have meltdowns, but my professors hated me. Especially a history professor I had who felt I made him look bad. I told him I was trying to have an intelligent conversation with him. He felt I was being a "narcissistic a**hole." I am not narcissistic, but I do know my stuff.

Religious doctrine within my own religious persuasion is my first love and often I would try to talk or preach with people, but my mannerisms bother people and so few ever listen; and when some do listen they get all wrapped-up in arms over the simple truth that I observe things that they never considered.