Page 2 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 7:50 am

I hated maths, the day I was able to drop it (along with PE) was the best day of my academic career.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 8:00 am

The only math I've ever been good at is algebra, specifically algebra II. The only math tests I've ever gotten perfect scores on were completely algebra-based tests. I just "get" solving equations, because it is very logical and repetitive and has set RULES. You don't have to understand anything visual-spatial to understand algebra. You get an equation, you learn the proper steps to take to solve it, and that's it. It's very word-based. Give me anything visual-spatial, and I'll fail. Geometry and trigonometry were nightmares for me. :roll:

Certain types of "basic" math still give me trouble, particularly percentages and decimals. I just don't understand them. I've always understood fractions for some reason, which most people find more difficult than decimals/percentages. I couldn't tell you how much to pay for a 15% tip using decimals if my life depended on it. I only can figure out percentages by converting it to a fraction, multiplying the cost by 3/20. That makes sense to me. Moving decimals places and such just confuses me.

Nash: Is there a difference?

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 8:35 am

No, I'm actually good at maths, I find it harder in English. As soon as I know how to do something in Maths, I'll be able to do it just fine.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 9:32 am

I struggle to understand how can anyone struggle with maths..
I mean, language is so goddamn irrational.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 1:06 am

^^^
my particular language comes naturally to me. i struggle to understand how people with maths giftedness can fail to understand what a struggle math is to those of us not similarly gifted.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 1:22 am

math and science was never a problem for me in school. language and social studies have always been difficult for me.

I quite often am at a loss for the proper word or name, except science related.

I've got alot of numbers stuck in my head and yet fail to remember names.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 2:19 am

When it comes to higher level mathematics, basic algebra would probably be my best subject. Although, when I took Algebra 2 in high school, I had a really good teacher who led a structured and predictable class, which I liked. Probably thanks to her, I got a commended performance - for the first time ever - on a statewide standardized math test that year.

I can do basic and logic-based math, I guess. My sister, who is in the sixth grade, often asks for my help with her math homework and I find I am able to understand the problems and help her work through them, for the most part.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 2:41 am

I'm good at math, especially higher algebra, geometry and problem solving.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 10:03 am

auntblabby wrote:
my particular language comes naturally to me. i struggle to understand how people with maths giftedness can fail to understand what a struggle math is to those of us not similarly gifted.

Maths comes naturally to me and thus I have no awareness of it's apparent difficulties (esp. if we are speaking about high-school, non-contest). The same as people fail to understand what a struggle language to me is. I honestly fail to see what is so difficult about (elementary) maths.

Antreus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2012, 5:27 pm

Embroglio wrote:
Even though having Asperger's is supposed to mean that you're good at math, I'm not. I tried to take calculus last year, and I tried. But I couldn't even get 1 problem right in the homework assignments. To me calculus was like trying to read Chinese it made no sense. It was so bad to the point where I changed my major to Liberal Arts, just to avoid it. I've never been good at math and the more it got away from basic stuff the more I struggle with it. I went from getting B's in math in 7th grade, to struggling to get C's in math with lots of help from the school's math tutor my senior year of high school. I'm sure there's other people on here who've struggled a lot with math.

I think math is a lot harder for people on the spectrum than what some people believe. Many people on the spectrum have a learning disability which means that the way in which math is being taught is inappropriate to the strengths of someone with AS at times. I have Non-verbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) which pretty much means I have a hard time multitasking, changing tasks, executive functioning deficits, managing time, hard time visualizing at times, and poor working memory (I have to use a lot of scratch paper because things don't float in my brain, they flee). It pretty much means I make mistakes often and math always takes me much longer than the average Joe. Things always make sense in class, but I always need more time when I am alone to finish homework and/or on examinations.

Please don't fall prey to the petty belief that you are somewhat devoid of any mathematical pedigree. You just need to be able to develop your own system of coping with how math is taught in the U.S. . Temple has said that Algebra can be confusing for people on the spectrum and has suggested Geometry/Trig as an alternative route to understanding mathematical principles for the purpose of Scientific Inquiry. Also do not go to a University that doesn't have a Math Lab or excellent student disability services. Tutors also work wonders.

Please consider my advice. Science needs conceptual thinkers, just because someone can pass a test doesn't mean they can think outside the box of what is KNOWN. I made the mistake of thinking I was a no-good at Math prior to understanding my learning challenges of being on the spectrum and having a learning impairment, because I failed so much or received abysmal grades.

It took me 7 years of liberal arts-fine arts education to finally come full circle, after my diagnosis, re-evaluating everything, that I am now making a concerted effort to apply myself rigorously (because I have the support system of school resources now) to finishing higher-end mathematic courses so that I can finally be in a scientific field. I was also turned away from Science because of Math, but my interest never went away - if anything it grew. It became so great, with a need to solve problems with carefully systems, etc. that I finally decided to leave Liberal Arts and get into Computer Engineering and Biology, together at last.

It is going to be a struggle, but it's only a door that goes to another world. Albert Einstein wasn't smashingly great at mathematics either, relative to his intelligence, and he routinely got lost when trying to return home. Think on it.

Having Asperger's doesn't MEAN you are good at anything, it only gives you potential talents to develop like anyone else, along with deficits. While I don't personally agree that one has to be good at Mathematics to be a good Scientist (we're all professors already), it is the language of that discipline. You'll probably be better at translating when you're all through to someone not as mathematically inclined. Please just don't fall into the trap of thinking that it is a bar holding you back from developing your scientific interests, merely a door that needs to be passed. People with better Mathematical ability take a hit too, they often aren't the best at verbalizing at the same level. That is possibly why you're in a pickle, because you have a false-perception of yourself and your talents. Your verbal is higher than your perceptual academic ability - that's all - just apply yourself.

Briana_Lopez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2012, 5:39 pm

Nope, math is NOT for me. No matter how many times I try to focus on my algebra, I can't seem to get it. My problem with it: whenever i ask if there's a rule in a particular equation to help me remember how to solve it, my teacher laughs and says no and I just have to pay attention more often. ALGEBRA'S SO CONFUSING!! !! !! !! :huh:

Antreus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2012, 5:44 pm

Briana_Lopez wrote:
Nope, math is NOT for me. No matter how many times I try to focus on my algebra, I can't seem to get it. My problem with it: whenever i ask if there's a rule in a particular equation to help me remember how to solve it, my teacher laughs and says no and I just have to pay attention more often. ALGEBRA'S SO CONFUSING!! !! !! !! :huh:

If you are struggling with math it doesn't mean you are bad at it, merely that how it is being taught isn't beneficial to how your brain functions. If your silly teacher isn't helping you then it makes sense in a heuristic fashion to try something else and see if it sticks.

---> Free, online education on many different subjects, algebra is covered extensively: Khana Academy

This website has a bunch of videos on various subjects, particularly math. Maybe a different approach to understanding the thing you are struggling with is in order. Perhaps it is being taught too abstractly?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 6:08 pm

Antreus wrote:
If you are struggling with math it doesn't mean you are bad at it, merely that how it is being taught isn't beneficial to how your brain functions. If your silly teacher isn't helping you then it makes sense in a heuristic fashion to try something else and see if it sticks.

my experience with maths teachers is that more often than not, they have a manner akin to ted kaczinski's classroom style, which was to keep his back to his students as he mumblingly filled the blackboard full of equations, IOW they generally believe "you all either get this stuff or you don't, and i'm not wasting any of my precious time and energy on the latter group."

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 6:10 pm

I don't exactly struggle in it, but it isn't my forte. I am good enough to get by most of the time.

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2012, 12:21 am

I have generally done well with mathematics classes, but I'm taking algebra 2 this year, and really not quite getting it. It really doesn't help that that I'm too afraid of my classmates to ask questions in class, and too afraid of teacher to ask questions after school.

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 3:32 pm

I like how math will never change and that it always has an answer for you and it never changes. From doing 1+1 to doing integrals of trig functions. You will always get the same answer. Also that it is always building and building.