Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 7:04 am

Well last night I was working on some math problems with a family member and I'm still having some issues remembering long term division with decimals as some issues with fractions to which he said..."your not going to get your diploma" "you can't seam to remember anything"! I'm giving it my all when I am doing math in class I think I'm making progress but when I get home it seams I forget things and I don't have time to play catch up as almost every week my class progresses I'm forced to go along with what is being taught

So needless to say I am depressed... I am discouraged... I am starting to second guess my self... my future I've always had a positive outlook in the sense that yea it's hard but I am going to continue to go to classes it will work out, I've had positive reinforcement(s) that helped my self confidence...that has now changed.

I know the consequences of not getting a diploma and that is a low paying remedial job with no future and I've been told by others that I am too smart for jobs like that...but yet the family member listed above is kinda killing my hope with telling me that I'm not going to get my diploma they key to my future....

There is a quote from Billy Joel that is "Although you will say I am still too naive, I have not lost faith in the things I believe And if I don't have a this all worked out Still I'm getting closer, getting closer
I still have far to go no doubt But I'm still getting closer" Slowly that's becoming "So I listen for an answer
But the feeling seems to stay And what's the use of always dreaming If tomorrow is today" and with the recent comment by a family member those last words echoes the most :-(

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 8:25 am

Forget about what your jerk family member told you.

He was, in an attempt to "motivate" you, being a jerk instead.

Just continue plugging away, sir. You'll get your Diploma.

You should try to obtain a tutor.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 9:14 am

Yes, I do think that was uncalled for.

Math isn't always a clear-cut subject. Some people take to it naturally as kids and stay that way, some people only struggle with parts of it, and some people need to work at it and let it sink in. It's more than just rote, and it doesn't dictate your future. Keep plugging away at it.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 1:35 pm

it's been a depressing day with one exception my writing teacher wanted me to take a practice test to see if I would be able to move on to the real test oddly enough I scored very high I think I was off a point or two that would guarantee that I would pass..so that was the highlight of the day I'm still kinda bummed tho Such is life I guess

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 8:23 pm

Yep, Joel...you have to deal with the good and the bad.

Billy Joel had to deal with LOTS of crap during his early singing career.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 10:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep, Joel...you have to deal with the good and the bad.

Billy Joel had to deal with LOTS of crap during his early singing career.

Yea but he had people on his side to help him,

I just wish I had somebody in person whom knows about or has HFA/Aspergers that I can be friends with and that can help me on my level because the NT way isn't really working for me...This site is nice and I truly appreciate the advice giving to me but it's just me out there and I feel like I'm the only one that has this phucking disorder.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 1:26 am

I know what you mean. Shoulda stated in Jersey.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 2:31 am

Yea don't I know it...

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 2:58 am

Hey JoelFan.

Maybe try setting aside some time throughout the day to work on the math problems, like between classes, during your lunch breaks etc. With math, it's pretty much practice, practice, practice until it becomes second nature. Maybe carry around a small notebook to do some random problems. Also, if you have 15-30 min after class ends, go over the notes you just took and review them. I find that it helps me retain the info much better.

We're rooting for you :)

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 3:50 am

JoelFan. I'm failing to take a break from WP to respond to you here. I suffered from dyscalculia my whole life and have never been tested for it, but know without a doubt I have it. Please read up on it. It's very common in autistics (like dyslexia, but with numbers). Math made my life a living hell when I was in middle and high school. I barely eeked out the requirements to graduate because I cheated off a girl next to me and managed to get a C in Algebra in high school (although I subsequently failed four quarters of geometry despite many hours of tutoring by my teacher at the time).

I was in GATE and AP classes but I could not math to save my life. I still cannot math. I cannot navigate maps. I get lost in shopping centres (no kidding). I have sat myself down and tried to learn to do multiplication tables and long division and fractions in order to get a grip so I could do statistics at university with no luck. No luck, because I have dyscalculia.

If I had known about this very real disability when I younger, I might have been able to access help and support to learn a different way. Your school should have a disability officer or counsellor (or somebody else you are in touch with, like your math teacher might be able to help) who you could go to and ask about this, and see if they really can help you learn.

Because sometimes 'studying hard' or 'reading your notes' or 'practicing over and over' does not make a darn bit of difference, and only leaves us feeling like idiots who can't do what everyone else does. x Good luck!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 2:18 pm

Ominous, thank you so much for reaching out I've never heard of Dyscalculia. As it is I am borderline dyslexic and also autistic why not shoot for three lol

Here's the issue I only get 15 mins between math class and reading/writing class and I'm lucky if I'm able to grab lunch while walking out to my car to change note books as for studying at home by the time I get home after classes I race to my bed room as it's the darkest room to decompress & due to the fact I wake up a quarter to six to get ready for classes I end up falling asleep as I'm tired and kinda over stimulated, Now also the person I study with is a family member (the same person whom said that I won't get my diploma) I told him that I do better if we schedule things have a dedicated time as to when we can do math so it's not over the place
So on the days I don't have classes we have a time set aside as to when we'd be able to math so we'll see how that goes

As for resources/accommodations for collage I've pretty much tapped into what I can I can use a calculator in class which is helpful but when working with fractions and a standard calculator it's mental so I struggle it's also difficult for me to jog notes when the teacher rambles on about what to do I try to jog down the gist of things while doing the problems she's writing it's a clusterf.... I'm still trying to find somebody whom can sit in class with me (a tutor or aide) and put things into terms I can understand having no luck on that front. Please note guys I'm not giving up on anything even if people want to give up on me there's too much for me to lose at this point. Thank you all-

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 2:35 pm

Hey Joel,

What do you need help with in math?

When I have time, maybe I could answer your questions.

"Dyscalculia" means, basically, being bad at math. Think about the word "calculate" and you'll get at the root of the word.

anomie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2015, 3:00 pm

Math is a huge subject. You will have strengths in some parts and weakness in others. I recommend watching Temple Grandin's talk about different kinds of minds. She mentions math a little, but in general how the autistic mind can excel in particular areas and need help with others, or even find them impossible, and how that's not a bad thing at all. Was Einstein a good cook? Who cares?

http://www.ted.com/talks/temple_grandin ... anguage=en

Math is not just one subject. It includes reasoning, visualisation, theory, practical things like counting and weighing and measuring ... there is something in there for everyone!

When I was studying philosophy I got upset because of the complicated and long stuff I had to read. I got tangled up in it. So I confided this to a professor and he said, "Hum the bits you don't understand". That is the best advice I've ever had. As soon as I started relaxing about the difficult bits, I started to find really good bits in those books. Stuff that really resonated with me. So I recommend taking that advice. You don't need to excel in every part of the tests, right? Do what feels good and stuff the rest.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 3:04 pm

Maybe you should try some visual aids. Find some online and/or make some colorful posters for yourself and put them up where you will see them regularly.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 6:15 pm

You're welcome, JoelFan.

If they let you take a calculator, maybe if you speak to them about the fractions they would also let you take a sheet of fractions with their decimal equivalent in with you so you can easily calculate them.

Can't hurt to ask.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 7:43 pm

I have a feeling that my math instructor doesn't want to really help cause I asked for instructions on another topic and I requested that she write it down (as my quick free handed writing SUCKS) and she kinda barked back NO you write it down as I say it...I miss my old instructor.