Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Ddddd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2012, 2:42 am

In high school (in Belgium), it's required to be on school every day, except for 4 times (max. 3 days), when you're sick and your parents signed a note. I attended school every day and didn't have problems with it.

But now, in college, we don't have to attend every lesson, though they expect us to, and my parents can't see if I'm at school or not. I have BIG problems with attending school, only attending max. 1 or 2 lessons out of 10 a week. I plan on going every time and I know my schedule, and when to leave home (to the minute) etc. But sometimes I'm already on my way and turn around and go home (sometimes I'm already at school, walking to the class, but I just can't go in). This is not because of social reasons, though I haven't made any friends yet (not really planning on making friends either, I already have my friends).
I also need a lot of new books and my parents didn't give me the money yet to buy them, so that's part of the stress. + The teacher will ask why I don't have my books yet, or I'll have to sit next to a stranger to look into their books.

I don't know where to find help, I'm not diagnosed with anything so I don't think they would take me seriously if I asked for help on planning, organizing etc. I also have problems with money and I tried to write down all my expenses, but I'm always out of money at the end of the week?

Does anyone have this problem? How did you solve it?

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 4:16 am

I'll be honest, there are plenty of times where I absolutely dread waking up for work or classes lol. There was a time several years ago where I would call in sick almost once or twice a month, but now I won't miss a day unless I'm deathly ill. You just have to get yourself into the mindset that you just have to go, don't even give yourself the option not to. Once you start thinking "Oh, maybe I can just skip this ONE day", then it can start to become a habit, and a tough one to break out of. However if you don't give yourself any alternatives, and just get it into your mind that you ARE going to go to class every day no matter what, it becomes much easier. One of my teachers long ago actually had a funny joke about this situation: "College is the only thing in the entire world that people will pay thousands of dollars NOT to attend"

As for books, at least at the universities I've been to, the teachers could care less whether you have the books or not, as long as you learn the material and do well on your exams/homework. If they are required for daily in-class assignments, talk to your teacher outside of class and explain your situation, I'm sure they will be accommodating.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 4:28 am

First, buy a budget book, to keep track of your income and outgo. Then, USE IT! Once you see where your money has been been going, you will be able to make adjustments in your buying habits.

Don't buy things you don't need. Buy store brand foods, and non food groceries. Buy mostly cheap, but healthy foods for your meals, like beans and rice, pasta and meat sauce, etc. If you still don't have enough money for text books after budgeting and buying cheaper food, let your parents know, so they can help you out with that. But don't ask your parents for more money until you have done the budget keeping, stopped buying things you don't need, and are eating cheaper meals. It is already costing them money to send you to school. Don't make it any harder on your parents than it needs to be. Do your part by keeping your expenses down. And, by attending more class sessions! If you aren't going to attend classes, you should drop out and get a job, so your parents won't have to pay for an education you are not interested in getting.

Ddddd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2012, 10:41 am

Thanks for your answer, questor. I attended a class right after you replied, it made sense, my parents pay so I can go to these classes. I copied the most important pages in the library, attended a class and bought bread to eat this evening and tomorrow morning. I'll look up some budget tips on the internet, and start writing down my expenses again.

hvtitan08
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2012, 11:13 am

When I have money, I blow it on things that don't meet my needs. I spend my money on either entertainment, food (junk food that is), and other things. I used to have a bank account, but I closed it after 4-5 days. I have a mental health support worker that helps me with budgeting.
does your school has a student support services/disability services office that they can help you with accomodations for your classes? College is hard (and expensive) especially in these times since the global economy is bad.