Do you not like using the library on campus?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 10:32 pm

I feel odd around all those people. I hear some Aspies get lost in books there and so forth but not me. It's too busy. Sure people are quite but all those people if I'm around people it's usually with a family member or get in/out. I'm only in classes since "I have to be" or I'd do strictly online courses! BUT! Spanish 1 and 2 were only on campus! :-( I hate last semester I had a meltdown almost every week! and while I wish I didn't have to take Spanish 2 I do it's a requirement! :-( I usually study at home by myself. I only go to campus M/W so I have the rest of the week off and only have class until 12:30 and take the bus home at 2 or 4 (my choice) so I can have a few hours to study then but even outside with all the cars riding by is a distraction. I can't focus on reading I need quite but I hear every little sound.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2012, 10:40 pm

Zelda, don't feel badly about this. I run a library, and reading is my special interest, but I've never been able to sit in a library and concentrate. About the only way I can concentrate is going for a brisk walk, making sure it's completely quiet, and then laying down so I'm completely comfortable. Otherwise I don't retain a thing.

Of course, doing my job, or doing light reading such as I have to do at work, are different matters. What I don't understand is that I can write just about anywhere. I can really focus when I write and exclude external stimuli.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 10:54 pm

The library to me is the best place on campus. It's got a huge slanted ceiling to let light in, and most of the time it's deserted. It's three levels above major noise, an the windows are opened to let in wind.
I do hope you find a good place to study though.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 10:54 pm

Me too!! !! With writing I just can write and write and block noise out but with reading it needs my undivided attention to understand what I'm reading. :-)

XLCR
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2012, 11:21 pm

It so happens that I am a college librarian. Too bad you aren't going to school here, you would like my library. The students here don't seem to like the library. I'm told it's a little busier in the mornings, but I do the afternoon/evening shift and at any given time there is maybe two or three people studying at a table and maybe the same number on the computers. After five it's often completely empty. It's usually quiet as a church mouse in there.

Hardly anyone checks out books anymore, they just google online to do research. All of the books gather dust, I check out maybe three or four of them a week. It's a great job for me, it has a very low stress level. I'm supposed to be helping and tutoring them, but they almost never ask for help, even when you can tell they are having a hard time of it. I don't know why. So I mostly just sit there, maybe doing a little cataloging or light computer work just to look busy.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2012, 11:25 pm

jamieevren1210 wrote:
The library to me is the best place on campus. It's got a huge slanted ceiling to let light in, and most of the time it's deserted. It's three levels above major noise, an the windows are opened to let in wind.

Jaime, in the US Asians tend to crowd college libraries. Are you saying they don't do the same in Asia?

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2012, 11:26 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Me too!! !! With writing I just can write and write and block noise out but with reading it needs my undivided attention to understand what I'm reading. :-)

Live and learn. I always thought it was just arrogance--that I'd rather spout off than learn something new:)

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2012, 11:29 pm

XLCR wrote:
It so happens that I am a college librarian. Too bad you aren't going to school here, you would like my library. The students here don't seem to like the library. I'm told it's a little busier in the mornings, but I do the afternoon/evening shift and at any given time there is maybe two or three people studying at a table and maybe the same number on the computers. After five it's often completely empty. It's usually quiet as a church mouse in there.

Hardly anyone checks out books anymore, they just google online to do research. All of the books gather dust, I check out maybe three or four of them a week. It's a great job for me, it has a very low stress level. I'm supposed to be helping and tutoring them, but they almost never ask for help, even when you can tell they are having a hard time of it. I don't know why. So I mostly just sit there, maybe doing a little cataloging or light computer work just to look busy.

XLCR, I used to work at the public library in College Station, but I did research in Texas A&M's library. It was always full of students, but that was thirteen years ago. Have things changed that much?

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 11:59 pm

Dunnyveg wrote:
jamieevren1210 wrote:

Jaime, in the US Asians tend to crowd college libraries. Are you saying they don't do the same in Asia?

Nope. Here are some pics of my school lib. And I'm in junior high, ninth grade.

valerieclaires
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2012, 2:33 am

I love libraries, but our on-campus Undergraduate library is really loud, and most students view it as a hangout instead of as a quiet place to study. Our other library is a much more traditional library, and is much quieter and more study-centered. We also have a beautiful public library right across the street, which is my favorite place to study. It's absolutely amazingly designed, with quiet study spaces and gathering spaces, and just beautiful throughout.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 7:16 am

Sadly no, the slightiest noise drives me mad - and there's at least one sneezing, coughing persona. And it's supposed to be quited at libraries! And various people sneaking behind, trying to be friendly. Libraries, as with every public place, unfortunately turns into socializing opportunity for some. And all these 'quiet, private corners' are not too private either ;/ I think I always need at least a cubicle. Also add some anxiety of being watched.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 10:24 am

No I don't like using the library on campus. It's really confusing to try and find books for a start. Plus it's quite a busy one and people seem to use it as a place to hang out and chat.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

valerieclaires

18 Jan 2012, 3:31 pm

gemstone123 wrote:
No I don't like using the library on campus. It's really confusing to try and find books for a start.

Our library uses a really confusing cataloging system, too! Why can't we just have the Dewey Decimal System?

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2012, 4:06 pm

I always imagined what my most perfect spot in the library would be. Somewhere hidden away where no one would find me.

The problem with college libraries that I had was that I couldn't study with all the noise coming from the air vents. Even those were loud to me and I didn't feel comfortable in with the atmosphere.

I needed a library where it wasn't so bright. I like dark spaces or not so lit up, and I always wanted to feel surrounded by books on three sides.

Libraries to me feel so open-spaced except where the books are.

Aesthete
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jan 2012, 8:39 pm

All the libraries on my campus are pretty crowded usually, so I tend not to. But more importantly, I have a single room, so I don't see the need to spend time in the library. When I had a roommate in the past, I would spend more time with my laptop in the library.

colonel1fan wrote:
I needed a library where it wasn't so bright. I like dark spaces or not so lit up, and I always wanted to feel surrounded by books on three sides.
This for me, too. I really dislike bright indoor lights and avoid them if I can. I like the light level to be just about enough so that I can see what I'm doing. And I like it dark if I'm not doing anything.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 5:28 am

Library was good.
Computer labs sucked because the undergraduates in them would not shut the f**k up.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I