Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

CWulf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2012, 12:14 pm

Well I thought this is the best subforum to post this topic since it's about college althought not directly connected to social life, but to academia terms. I've been wondering about this and I think the answer to the main question is afermative. However, I believe there's no better advice than the one that comes from those who spend as long, thinking about the same things over and over again, as I do.

At the moment I'm pursuing a BSc in Criminology and shortly I'll begin a BSc in Psychology in another university to get all the psychobiological knowledge that I consider vital to do the sort of research that I like. My objective is becoming a neuroscientist after completing both bachelor's, so a master's degree that suits my interests is the best choice. Ever since I've been researching to see what ones I'd like to enroll, and, I've discovered several ones in neuroscience which look pretty good. Anyway, I've found myself amazed by pharmacology and there's a master's program that'd let me go for neuropsychopharmacology and fulfill both my pharmacology and neuroscience interests in whole.

Pointing out I'll try to get the best GPA possible through my BSc in Psychology, I'm sure I won't have any problems to get both master's and doctorate degrees in Pharmacology. My question is: considering that I'll enroll grad school without a bachelor in a natural science, do you think I'd be able to get a job in a pharmaceutical industry?

Beforehand thanks for answering and sorry for any grammar mistakes I made :D

Last edited by CWulf on 17 Apr 2012, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 12:19 pm

yes, i think you'll be able to get a job. there are plenty of english and computer majors who go to med school. just have to get the program pre-req's into your undergrad degree.

CWulf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2012, 12:46 pm

cathylynn wrote:
yes, i think you'll be able to get a job. there are plenty of english and computer majors who go to med school. just have to get the program pre-req's into your undergrad degree.

True. Sometimes it's difficult to see the connection between the dots in someone's career. Like Roger Wolcott Sperry. He studied English, got his mater's in Psychology and his PhD in Zoology. Obviously he was talented and he could manage to do the best out of it without having a strong science background, but I think the transition was too wide between his grades.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 11:21 am

CWulf wrote:
Well I thought this is the best subforum to post this topic since it's about college althought not directly connected to social life, but to academia terms. I've been wondering about this and I think the answer to the main question is afermative. However, I believe there's no better advice than the one that comes from those who spend as long, thinking about the same things over and over again, as I do.

At the moment I'm pursuing a BSc in Criminology and shortly I'll begin a BSc in Psychology in another university to get all the psychobiological knowledge that I consider vital to do the sort of research that I like. My objective is becoming a neuroscientist after completing both bachelor's, so a master's degree that suits my interests is the best choice. Ever since I've been researching to see what ones I'd like to enroll, and, I've discovered several ones in neuroscience which look pretty good. Anyway, I've found myself amazed by pharmacology and there's a master's program that'd let me go for neuropsychopharmacology and fulfill both my pharmacology and neuroscience interests in whole.

Pointing out I'll try to get the best GPA possible through my BSc in Psychology, I'm sure I won't have any problems to get both master's and doctorate degrees in Pharmacology. My question is: considering that I'll enroll grad school without a bachelor in a natural science, do you think I'd be able to get a job in a pharmaceutical industry?

Beforehand thanks for answering and sorry for any grammar mistakes I made :D

Often advertisements for courses have a number you can ring to get more information. I highly recommend contacting them to find out more.

I would be very surprised if you could do a masters in psychopharmacology without some background knowledge of pharmacology, but maybe there's a way around it