How do you get out of Special Education?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

eden98
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Apr 2012, 9:31 am

My younger brother is in Special Education classes at his middle school. He has Asperger's Syndrome like me. He thinks the teachers are too condescending and the curriculum is too simple. He is in two general education classes: Science Honors with a 98% and Algebra with 95%. The reason he is in Special Education is that in 6th grade, he had emotional outbursts, but now he does not.

How do you get out of Special Education? He wants to go to a good university, and that dream can not be realized when placed in Special Education.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 9:35 am

Why would that limit being able to go to a "good" school (most schools are good)? a lot of people with aspergers need help at something like a disability center when they are at college. In 5th grade I just refused to keep going to special ed. I had been in special ed for speech since preschool. My speech issue is not noticeable to others most of the time now, there ws no reason for me to still be in it.

And eden98 check the dates on threads before posting, there is no reason to revive 6 year old threads. Not trying to be mean, so sorry if you take it that way.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 9:22 pm

First thing's first; his parents have to say, "Our child doesn't need an IEP." To get out of special ed, an IEP drop is pretty much essential. If he has a 504, drop that too.

I remember that apparently I scored low on the processing part of an IQ test, and they tried to tell me that learning was slow for me, to which I laughed. They let me retake the portion of the IQ test and I got 110 on it, so they let me drop the strive class. This was between middle school and high school; I was able to drop special ed before freshman year, and my IEP at my sophomore year.

DEFINITELY get him out of special ed; those classes look really bad on a transcript. It's like having a bunch of loop math classes.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 11:57 am

Assuming you live in the United States...

If your parents feel his placement is not appropriate, (and it sounds like this is the case,) they can request a reevaluation. The school will be required to place him in what they judge to be the "least restrictive environment" (the closest to gen ed in which a student can succeed.)

He does not have to lose the IEP or 504 to be removed from special ed classes. Rather, if an IEP team agrees that he can succeed in a general class, they would place him in a general class with the IEP. This way, he may still be eligible for related services and test accommodations, even though he is in a general ed class.

hollowfields
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jun 2012, 7:57 pm

How I got out of special ed in my middle school was by talking to my parents, they contacted the regular teachers and the special ed teachers and then things worked great. This was in the Vigo County School Corporation in Indiana.

barnett
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Mar 2015, 7:19 am

The only solution for this problem is getting both your parents as well as school authorities agree that he has no learning disability.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 12:58 am

Definitely it is a good idea to get out of special ed, since your brother is doing well academically and has no emotional outbursts anymore. Have your parents get him out of special ed before high school would be ideal. Or asap would be more ideal, so he can advance more academically before high school, take more advanced classes in high school for a better chance at getting into a good college.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 1:33 am

Switch schools and not go into the special education program? Maybe if school records are processed as slow as anything like SSI how I get my income than no one would ever pick up on it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 7:35 am

Edna lives in the Philippines.

I got out of special ed because my parents couldn't afford my some special school any more. I got back into a school for "gifted underachievers" in 9th grade.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 10:36 pm

At first,

when I became 15 or 16 I think my parents wanted me to be integrated into a mainstream class, at first the school I was going to hesitated because they felt I was best suited for a more restrictive environment now granted 15-16 I was right at that rebellious phase in my life but I really wasn't destructive. So my folks and I had a talk about the pros and cons about going mainstream and at the time we thought it would be better for me to get away from the restrictive environment and actually try to make "friends" with NT's so my folks but the pressure on the school they went back and forth & within a month I was mainstreamed out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 9:04 am

I think "least restrictive environment" is optimal.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 5:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think "least restrictive environment" is optimal.

So did I but it turned out that my former school shipped two other students whom have various forms of ID to the mainstream school I went to so that they could be my shadow in fact the new school thought it would be wise to re-group all of us back together so they did and I started to cut class just to try to shed the "special ed" persona that I (thought) I had attached to me needless to say I dropped out because the teacher I had her head was so up on the clouds and was "positive positive" rather then being in reality and grounded that I wanted so badly from a teacher.