Did you ever take a class in which you didn’t learn at all?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 8:05 am

I took a Jane Austen graduate level class with 5 or 6 other students. I’m pretty convinced that none of us learned a thing. We took the class because we liked Jane Austen and had read her books, but since we were all so familiar with her work, not much (if anything) was learned at all. It was a waste of time which I regretted even though I found it fun. It was an extremely easy A, but I would’ve rather taken a class in which I got a B and learned something.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 9:23 am

Psychology of eating disorders

TazCrystal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 May 2019, 8:22 pm

Accounting. It was a lot of math and keeping track of stuff. It was too hard for me. My teacher also didn’t really like me. They thought I was badly behaved because I was really quiet. He also thought I was stupid. The units were only a week long. It was too fast. I got a 51 in it.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 8:27 pm

Interpersonal communication skills

Some classes, I was already good at the subject before taking it

Some classes, I was bad at, before and after

In STEM , UCSD, quickly forgot everything

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2019, 7:14 am

Yes, every class I took at uni.

I had to read everything again alone slowly to understand it!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 May 2019, 7:20 am

The majority of classes I ever took in mainstream schooling.
I'm keen to learn but I prefer to do it on my own - and at school I most of the time did it before the topic appeared in the classroom. Sometimes years earlier.

On the other hand, there are things I never learned. I attended German classes for three years and learned nothing.

My learning was rather independent from the school.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2019, 7:27 am

magz wrote:
The majority of classes I ever took in mainstream schooling.
I'm keen to learn but I prefer to do it on my own - and at school I most of the time did it before the topic appeared in the classroom. Sometimes years earlier.

On the other hand, there are things I never learned. I attended German classes for three years and learned nothing.

My learning was rather independent from the school.

same for me!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2019, 8:47 am

I took a class in school titled "Egyptian Art and Archeology". I love Archeology. Well it turns out that the professor really meant the class to be titled "Egyptian Art and Architecture". This had very little to do with Archeology component. But I didn't find this out until very late in the coarse. One of the things I hated about the coarse was the professor was always rattling off long historical Egyptian names. Then later you were tested on accurately writing down these names. Mind you, he never wrote them on the chalkboard and the names were not in the books used in the class.

forestlilly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jun 2019, 3:44 pm

My Spanish class. I've been taking Spanish for around four years now, and the first two years were great. The teacher was really good, and although I'm absolutely terrible at languages she really tried to help and encourage me, which was really nice of her.

But then when I went into high school, I got landed with the teacher I have now, and she just does not know how to teach. I haven't passed a single test this year (in Spanish), and although it is definitely a lot down to my lack of ability, all she's done this past almost two years is discourage every student in the class by telling them how horrible they are at the subject and when you do come to her to ask for help all she does is get mad at you that you don't already know it, not to mention a long list of other things.

But anyway, this has turned in to more of a rant about my Spanish teacher than about the class it's self xD

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 5:17 pm

I had an e-commerce class in college. Did not learn a thing. We didnt even have any lectures. We were handed a booklet and told to write an essay. We werent even expected to turn up for the classes.

I deliberately annoyed the lecturer by turning up to make a point. There's supposed to be a class here, you're not getting a break on my watch Mr.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 5:41 pm

The answer is yes.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 5:47 pm

I went to college to do a computer studies class to get into Uni , the only thing I learned in that class was I couldn't cope ( lasted 3 months ) and if I stayed home and smoked weed all day , things were better for me :twisted:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 6:01 pm

Biology. I failed because I wouldn't go, because of the formaldehyde smells and the fact we had to dissect my phobia creature. I couldn't be in the room even if I didn't touch them. We were also expected to kill bumblebees ourselves before dissecting them.

Count me out.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 6:04 pm

^^ that's disgusting! I hate the practice where they have youth kill a poor creature, it shouldn't be allowed IMO.
It should just be an anatomical model.
Thankfully we didn't do that, but we were supposed to dissect a cow eye one day in junior high. I was "sick" that day after protesting it on ethical grounds

Math class in much of junior high and entirely in high school
I learned little in science classes

both of the above because I had problems grasping it

For most of the years we had music (elementary school and junior high), there was little to learn. We mostly just sang songs with only a few exceptions. Unless you count learning songs as learning.

There was nothing to learn in my vocational school's English class, as it was very simplified.

There was nothing to learn in elementary school and junior high PE classes, but a little in high school as there were the occasional class talking about muscles and heart and blood.

I picked up little in the years of woodwork and needlework.

one year in elementary school we had a weekly drawing lesson that just meant we sat there drawing whatever we wanted, so nothing learned there.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 12:03 pm

All my University and College courses.

In all seriousness though when I was in 4th year University and struggling to just make it through I took Sociology because I was told it was the easiest course imaginable. I didn't buy the textbook, skipped most of the classes and still got a B. I also took a course called Money & Banking and I am still puzzled as to what it had to do with money or banking. What's worse? The textbook cost $280 (in 2003) and we never once opened it!

What's really ironic is that I avoided French because I thought it was useless. Now, I know if I could speak even a reasonable amount of French I could literally walk into a new and better job next week. The local government advertised for a bilingual job and had literally 0 qualified people apply so they dropped the French requirement.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 1:05 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Biology. I failed because I wouldn't go, because of the formaldehyde smells and the fact we had to dissect my phobia creature. I couldn't be in the room even if I didn't touch them. We were also expected to kill bumblebees ourselves before dissecting them.

Count me out.

Ahh, the lovely smell of formaldehyde. It reminds me of dissecting things back in high school biology class. I got in a bit of trouble once because I turned the frog I dissected into a puppet using clear fishing line, scared the crap out of some of the other students with it. The teacher was less than amused with my humor, but it did not affect my end grade. Good times, good times.

As for the topic at hand, many of the history classes that I took in college did not gain me much more than what I already knew about the subject. Often I knew more background details about events than the professor teaching the course. I had the one wanting me to change majors to history, as he had never seen someone understand the information so well. Many of the history majors would contact me for tutoring in their senior year courses because the “class was so hard” for them to pass. That was when I was in my sophomore year, taking senior level history courses for fun in my spare time (on top of my regular coursework, I had a special waiver to get into advanced courses as needed). Certain subjects are easy for me to learn because of the way my brain is set up. It is like a sponge for historical and scientific facts.