Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2006, 1:23 pm

I'm rather glad! Last Friday, I asked my Deputy Headteacher if I could take further maths for AS Level (even though its already one term into the year, and everyone is well into their course now) on top of maths, but not attend the lessons, i.e. teach myself, and then take the exams at the end of the year. She said that she believed that I could easily do it and that it should not be a problem, but all she has to do is to talk to the maths departments and see if there are any technicalities to sort out. I may get a chance to do an extra maths A Level, but without having to suffer the bordeom of the lessons (they go too slowly)!
I didn't take further maths in the first place because one can only take four A Levels, so I would have to drop one of my sciences to do further maths (as well as maths) because of the timetables. But if I do teach myself, then timetabling won't be a problem!

*Hopes!*

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 4:41 pm

I'm glad you're happy!

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2006, 12:06 pm

Heyheyhey!

I'm doing the course! And I don't have to take any exams! Or coursework! It will go on my reference to Uni that I'm doing further mats!

Wahoo!

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2007, 8:17 pm

AWESOME!! !! !

I love maths, not very good at maths bec ause i vertually missed out on the first 3 years of school.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2007, 3:59 pm

Laura wrote:
AWESOME!! !! !

I love maths, not very good at maths bec ause i vertually missed out on the first 3 years of school.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you miss out? I missed four months of my second GCSE year.

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2007, 2:26 am

Basically the school was utter crap. I only knew how to do long division and long multiplication when I was 11. The worst bit is that I got it straight away so it wasn't my fault it was the teachers in the past that couldn't be bothered teaching me. This year i have discovered the beauty in math’s because I finally got a great teacher.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 7:47 pm

That's excellent! It's always nice to see teachers/principals who reconize their student's potential and allow them to move beyond.

Three years!

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2007, 5:33 pm

Laura wrote:
Basically the school was utter crap. I only knew how to do long division and long multiplication when I was 11. The worst bit is that I got it straight away so it wasn't my fault it was the teachers in the past that couldn't be bothered teaching me. This year i have discovered the beauty in math’s because I finally got a great teacher.

Maths IS beauty.

I'm glad that you found your way eventually and hope that you can catch up.

oceanbeach
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2007, 9:31 pm

Are you in college? What are your fav subjects?
I took pre calculus and had a pretty tough time with it.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 2:10 pm

oceanbeach wrote:
I took pre calculus and had a pretty tough time with it.

Oxymoron:
I am obsessed about maths, yet I am not clear on what precalculus is.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

13 Jan 2007, 2:46 pm

Whatever you can try, you cannot, I repeat, CANNOT teach me Algebra beyond the basics. Go ahead. Just try.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

sderenzi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2007, 4:24 pm

Further maths? You mean math? The term is both singular & plural, it can mean 1 math or apply to math overall. Example: I like math class, it's very fun. Example: I would love to take that math class.

You shouldn't be doing anything alone if you call it maths... aside from that I don't have any idea what you're talking about, A math? wtf

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 5:42 pm

sderenzi wrote:
Further maths? You mean math? The term is both singular & plural, it can mean 1 math or apply to math overall. Example: I like math class, it's very fun. Example: I would love to take that math class.

You shouldn't be doing anything alone if you call it maths... aside from that I don't have any idea what you're talking about, A math? wtf

I'M ENGLISH YOU IDIOT.

*SLAPS HEAD AND SUBSEQUENTLY WHACKS IT AGAINST THE WALL*

Last edited by SteelMaiden on 13 Jan 2007, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 5:43 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Whatever you can try, you cannot, I repeat, CANNOT teach me Algebra beyond the basics. Go ahead. Just try.

Then you won't understand what I'm doing then...!

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Second-Ord ... ation.html

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

13 Jan 2007, 6:43 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Second-OrderOrdinaryDifferentialEquation.html

8O

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 10:26 am

KBABZ wrote:
SteelMaiden wrote:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Second-OrderOrdinaryDifferentialEquation.html

8O

You are an amusing person (not meant in a rude way, but more of a compliment) and I rather like you know.

Sorry if that sounds odd. I don't know how to say that I like somebody very well.