Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 8:53 pm

I'm doing an online Master's, which is cool because most of the work is done over the internet. However, I do have about 5 lectures a semester per class, and these are very difficult for me. The professor and most of the other students are in a classroom, and the class is broadcast live - they can see me, alone in my HITS classroom, and I can (barely) see and hear them.

I'm finding these classes unbelievably difficult and stressful. For one thing, the video and audio quality is poor, so I can't see any facial expressions and I can't hear what they're saying half the time. When I can hear, and have something to contribute to the discussion, it is impossible to interrupt because the professor only pays attention to the students in her classroom. With my lack of knowledge of social stuff, I'm finding it very difficult to figure out how and when to talk or join in. And sometimes when I do comment, there is dead silence from the rest of the people, which is very uncomfortable.

I'm thinking I don't like this program, and I'm in contact with the disability office at my school, but I just don't know what to do. Grin and bear it? Don't go to the classes? Switch programs? Sigh.