Depressed because of Bad Testing Marks

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 12:30 am

Hello, I've been a student whose always gotten good grades (A-, B+s, Bs) until now. For my lower division computer science classes, there was a good grade balance between labs, assignments, projects, exams, and such. But my upper division courses have been eating a big chunk of my grade because almost ALL of my grade is based on exams and quizzes; my biggest weaknesses.

I've never been good with quizzes and exams. I always make stupid mistakes, misinterpret what the question is asking me, and forget material I have previously aced. It doesn't matter how much I study or know the material. I can know the material forwards and backwards, but I still do horribly on an exam. I forget absolutely everything, panic, dizziness, and feel like I need to vomit. It has been this way since elementary school.

I can program complex things, ace complex projects, but as soon as I am given a timed exam I turn into a pile of goo. This is so bad that I am heavily discouraged from attending graduate school despite having done a good job in my undergraduate research. I'm only going to fail the GRE just like all my exams. What graduate school would accept a student like me?

I'm absolutely crushed and depressed. I am thinking about leaving academia forever.

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2012, 12:46 am

So you think it's anxiety based? I'm the same way. I often can't even sleep the night before a big test. Maybe you should try taking something like one xanax before a test.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 11:45 am

I think this happens when I have to wait for a test.

profofhumanities
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2012, 12:25 pm

Oh, Honey. I am so sorry. It seems you have test anxiety, a problem that affects a great many students on and off the spectrum. The Xanax may be a good idea, but talk to your doctor and test if before you have a test to take. (You don't want to fall asleep during a test, right?)
Another little trick sounds silly, but there are studies that show it helps. On test day, wear something you feel good in, something that is comfortable, but you know looks good on you. When your mind is not busy worrying about how you look and you feel confident (even subconsciously), the brain can concentrate better on the task at hand.
Also, you might talk to the special populations coordinator about an accommodation. Perhaps the instructors could give you a project instead of a test?

TripleJ
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Nov 2012, 8:54 pm

You sound like a great programmer. I hope you learn to overcome this obstacle in life. Then, life will be a breeze for a programmer like you.