Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

blue1skies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Nov 2012, 11:19 pm

I have extremely delicate senses. For example, even a whiff of cigarette smoke will give me a paralyzing headache for the rest of the day. Noise is a similar trigger. All of my classes are filled with people I consider immature and unbearably noisy. Sometimes, when I'm stuck sitting at my desk, there will be people behind me talking about something else very loudly, and it drives me insane to the point I have to grit my teeth so hard it hurts to resist from screaming. Does anyone else have this problem? School is just getting to be so frustrating for me. I get headaches every single day now, and it's awful.

KaminariNoKage
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Nov 2012, 11:59 pm

I am similar. Walking through a smoke cloud has caused me to run into stuff before. Thankfully, I go to a small school where smoking is pretty much non-existent. But in terms of noise, which is probably the most extreme for me. Some frequencies or noises are physically painful. I usually have to wear earplugs when I am studying or in my room (which themselves emit a ridiculously high frequency or something, so I have to muffle the sound with white noise). It does not help that a few people in my suite are musically inclined - one randomly starts singing, the other starts playing an electric piano. In my classes we have group projects so everyone is talking at once. I have no idea why I have not gone insane yet.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 12:01 am

I don't know how to help with the cigarettes except to move away when you see one coming your way. I might have a suggestion for the noise, however. There is a device (you'd have to do a bit of research here as I don't know what it is called, but I heard about them from the audiologist) that allows you to wear earplugs and then projects the teacher's voice right to your ear while minimizing the other noise around you a great deal. It might be able to help you.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)