Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Coralie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2013, 6:14 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a college student highly considering enrolling in a study abroad program. I have a deep interest in foreign languages and other cultures, but when I shared my dream of studying abroad with my parents, they were rather discouraging and said that I'm not capable of taking care of myself. I wholeheartedly admit that my ASD and ADHD present challenges that will make it difficult for me to function independently, but I don't want to forfeit my goal of studying abroad, which is especially essential since I am a foreign language major. There are so many issues that I need to work on in such a short amount of time (the program I am applying for is Summer 2013, and because of university requirements, it is unlikely I can study abroad later in my academic career). I have a difficult time with transitions, particularly because it takes me much longer to go from one task to another than the average person. This means that I am always lagging behind when I am traveling on a local basis with family or friends. Obviously, this could be quite dangerous in a foreign country--if everyone else leaves without me, I'm in trouble! I am particularly concerned about executive function issues abroad. I lose my cell phone on a near-daily basis, constantly can't find my wallet, forget to lock doors, etc. I recognize that I would look extremely vulnerable as a foreigner rummaging through her messy belongings to locate a particular item, or walking up and down a street because I can't find where I dropped my money. My greatest fear is that I would lose my purse, and be without money or a cell phone, as this has happened several times at home. Thank goodness this happened in my hometown, but if such an incident were repeated abroad, it could be a serious safety issue without close friends or family members nearby to intervene.

While I am not nearly as worried about social issues, since nothing could possibly be worse than losing a passport, I still have some concerns. I can be charming in small doses, but people who live with me get annoyed very quickly. When I have a clear mind, I can function well in social situations, but when my brain gets overloaded, my interactions become progressively more odd; I definitely need time to myself for optimum social performance. Regardless of whether my living arrangements are dorm or home-stay, I know my tendency to inadvertently irritate people could generate problems. I have very poor coordination, which means that I am always making messes. If I pour a drink, it spills; if I try to wash dishes, I end up accidentally using a whole bottle of detergent; if I vacuum, I end up sucking up the rug. This isn't to mention stimming--If I borrow a book, bounds are I will start rolling up the pages from anxiety, without even realizing it, to name just one example. I am a walking force of destruction, and I know this could exasperate roommates or host parents.

I think it would be beneficial for me to disclose, but I'm not sure what assistance to seek--my challenge isn't so much academics as it is life skills! Do you have any recommendations for accommodations in this situation? I really would like to have the experience of a homestay, but the country I am visiting is not well-informed on ASD's or other mental differences. I am worried my host parents would interpret my behavior as outright rudeness. If you've studied abroad, did you opt for a homestay or a dorm, and did your choice work out? Thank you everyone for your input.

Nascaireacht
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2013, 6:41 pm

I'm just wondering if you have any choices re which city. Maybe a smaller college in a smaller town might suit you, if that's possible. Finding your way around would be easier, you'd get to know people quicker too, and there might be more of a community feeling there, all of which might make it safer for you than a big, anonymous metropolis. Maybe you could translate something simple and clear about ASD symptoms and issues into that language, and have it ready to show, in case you find yourself in trouble, where an explanation could help.

paris75007
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2013, 8:01 pm

I went to college for three years in France beginning at age 18. It was hard, but very rewarding. I don't think I'd be near as self-sufficient if I hadn't done it. In some ways, it's easier in a foreign country than at home, because people assume that the language and culture gap is why you are a little different and they are willing to give you some social leeway. If there is another major from your school who is going at the same time, I would disclose to them so they know to look out for you. I would choose to stay in a dorm over with a host family, since most other countries have single occupancy rooms in their dorms. As for your passport, check the laws of the country you are going. Your school will likely issue you a student ID when you get there, you might be able to use it or just carry a photocopy of your passport. The State Department says you are not supposed to carry it around unless not having it violates a local law or you don't have a safe place to keep it where you are staying. I have loads of advice to give you, if you want it, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Six weeks will go by really fast, and you'll be glad you did it, even if it's just to prove to yourself that you can.