Is their such a thing as studying too much?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

GreenTechnoFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2013, 4:07 pm

I have often had teachers say I should take a break, but I am worried that I am going to forget what I learn. I am not talking about cramming it in at the last moment, but should I take a break?

UnseenSkye
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2013, 4:17 pm

GreenTechnoFox wrote:
I have often had teachers say I should take a break, but I am worried that I am going to forget what I learn. I am not talking about cramming it in at the last moment, but should I take a break?

Hello GTF. If studying is a "jones" and you love doing it? Then no, whatever it is that you're obsessing on knowing is perfectly fine. You're a bit of a savant. As long as your not forgetting to put on your pant or are forgoing showers and baths for a month or have been wearing the same "Vote For Pedro" t-shirt for six months solid, I'd say right off the top of my head that your teacher ought to let you be with your love of learning. But? i am just one lone voice crying out in the wilderness, so i tweeted a tribe of people who tolerate me amongst them for other points of view. When in doubt, remember: Libra is always fair! :cat: :jester:

GreenTechnoFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2013, 4:30 pm

UnseenSkye wrote:
GreenTechnoFox wrote:

Hello GTF. If studying is a "jones" and you love doing it? Then no, whatever it is that you're obsessing on knowing is perfectly fine. You're a bit of a savant. As long as your not forgetting to put on your pant or are forgoing showers and baths for a month or have been wearing the same "Vote For Pedro" t-shirt for six months solid, I'd say right off the top of my head that your teacher ought to let you be with your love of learning. But? i am just one lone voice crying out in the wilderness, so i tweeted a tribe of people who tolerate me amongst them for other points of view. When in doubt, remember: Libra is always fair! :cat: :jester:

What is a "Jones?", (sorry I sometimes do not get social jargin as easily as my neurotypical associates.) I do so love to study, I am even paranoid on how intelligent I am compared to my classmates. I do often forget to shave. It is multiple teachers actually, see I tend to build up stress if I do not know the material as well as I think I should.

If a tree falls in a forest does it make a sound? (The answer is yes by the way.) Even voices in the wind have their meanings.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

27 Mar 2013, 11:00 am

GreenTechnoFox wrote:

In general yes, actually studying too much especially without breaks can be counterproductive with diminishing returns. The actual amount of breaks depends on the person, but as a guideline people often find a 10 minute break every hour a good strategy.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 12:25 pm

If you study too much, then what you learn will just go in one ear and out the other! You can only take in so much information in one sitting.

Nick774
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2013, 12:11 am

Assess your productivity every once and a while while you study. If your mind or body feels unfocused, unproductive, or tired, I'd take a break or get some rest.

But if you're feeling fine, given that you aren't neglecting any of your other priorities, then there's no reason to stop. In college I felt like I could always benefit from studying the material more (becoming too tired was usually the preventing factor).

Just don't push yourself too hard.

Meridian191
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2013, 2:28 am

WrongWay wrote:
GreenTechnoFox wrote:

In general yes, actually studying too much especially without breaks can be counterproductive with diminishing returns. The actual amount of breaks depends on the person, but as a guideline people often find a 10 minute break every hour a good strategy.

WrongWay's got a point. Eventually, there is a point of exhaustion and diminishing returns. I think the conventional wisdom is taking small breaks frequently, not long breaks after big blocks of study. Teachers also usually reccommend getting up from your chair and getting your circulation going by walking for a minute.

Confuddlement

30 Mar 2013, 4:52 am

Don't push yourself too hard. I did that last year and now I think I have burned myself out. I cannot focus this year at all!

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 6:41 pm

Yes if you die from dehydration from not drinking water and studying the whole time is of course an upper bound on studying too much.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2013, 7:43 pm

Your teachers have a point when they say that breaks are a good thing.

In General Chemistry, my professor would often take breaks to tell his students stories. He said did this because studies have shown that, while a student is distracted in this way, their mind will take some time to absorb the information they were just given.

Apparently another set of studies show that a major reason to get a full night’s sleep is that this is when a large percent of what we learn during the day is reinforced. This has also lead to the findings that when someone does their studying shortly before bed time, they are more likely to retain the information than if they did it in the morning.

Also, from personal experience, I have found that, in order to learn well, I need to get out and take breaks. I get frustrated if I don’t and then I can’t concentrate at all. There’s also a point where I just feel like I’ve taken too much in and am losing as much information as I am gaining as I continue studying.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 6:00 pm

Yes, take a break. But remember it is only a break, and not a full fledged long holiday.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 9:59 am

RubyWings91 wrote:
Your teachers have a point when they say that breaks are a good thing.

In General Chemistry, my professor would often take breaks to tell his students stories. He said did this because studies have shown that, while a student is distracted in this way, their mind will take some time to absorb the information they were just given.

Apparently another set of studies show that a major reason to get a full night’s sleep is that this is when a large percent of what we learn during the day is reinforced. This has also lead to the findings that when someone does their studying shortly before bed time, they are more likely to retain the information than if they did it in the morning.

Also, from personal experience, I have found that, in order to learn well, I need to get out and take breaks. I get frustrated if I don’t and then I can’t concentrate at all. There’s also a point where I just feel like I’ve taken too much in and am losing as much information as I am gaining as I continue studying.
I also think it is more general about needing breaks as even if trying to cook dinner and get to frustrated continuing to try to cook I do a bad job.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 10:04 am

Yes. If you study to much, you will loose focus. I take a 3 hour class 2 nights a week and we take 2-3 15 minute breaks.