How to succeed in college? best way possible???

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Alizee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Mar 2013, 3:56 pm

I just can't stand minimum wage..... nor will I feel good as a human being without a college degree. I decided I'm going to go back to college (not that I ever left it...), change schools, and become a register nurse. The issue is, I feel like an epic failure already when it comes to academics, since I have less than 12 credits in my name. I been going to college for 2 years too. A lot of withdrawals, a lot of laziness, no focus, fear of test taking, didn't know what I want to do with my life.... crap like that. I am 21 years old too.

I decided I am not going to work for the next 2 years, and pull out student loans so I can have a decent lifestyle... and not live the frugal college student lifestyle. I get financial aid too.

I already have my own home which I bought from working and financial aid. And it's close to the college, 2 miles, I am going to go too. Long commute makes me lazy.

anyone have tips on how to get this crap done efficiently??

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 4:12 pm

It helps if you care greatly about what you are studying. You need to decide on something you are strongly interested in. Your post sort of makes it sound like you are just doing it for the money. Or, just have an iron will.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 4:16 pm

Alizee wrote:
How to succeed in college?

This is the best way possible: Study hard; complete and turn in all assignments before they're due; attend every class you've registered for; and ace every exam.

There is no "Royal Road" to success.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 4:19 pm

attend. take notes. study them daily and especially during the week before a test.

Alizee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Mar 2013, 4:34 pm

starkid wrote:
It helps if you care greatly about what you are studying. You need to decide on something you are strongly interested in. Your post sort of makes it sound like you are just doing it for the money. Or, just have an iron will.

yes. It's about the money, but I have no passion for anything regarding college *i try to find what i wanted to become, but i'm just a flake about it all*. I can't keep searching for what I want to be anymore... I'll be 30 asking "do you want fries with that". But nursing is relatively quick, 2 yrs in, and I make 40 k. Or just 1 yr in, and I am a licensed practical nurse. ...., and i can always go for more education down the road.

it's the only way i can get this college thing done if i know that in 1 yr i will have some sort of a career going.

but minimum wage... $7.50.... who can survive off that???

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:03 pm

Alizee wrote:
it's the only way i can get this college thing done if i know that in 1 yr i will have some sort of a career going.

Ok, but if you're not really interested in the schoolwork, are you sure you'll be interested in performing the job duties?
Quote:

Depending on the number of hours worked, one could survive on that if one was willing to drastically reduce one's living expenses. I don't know where you live, but the military and various sorts of apprenticeships might be alternatives to college that suit you. There are also vocational programs that are shorter than nursing school.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:51 pm

Having your life revolve around school is a pretty good way to succeed. Be sure to minimize anything that gets in the way (ie; mobile devices) and be very protective of your 8hrs of sleep per night.

30 minutes of cardio at least every other day will go a long way towards keeping your head in the game. That will put you in the best position to learn whatever you need to learn. Just remember how much you hate $7.50 an hour.

Alizee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Mar 2013, 6:00 pm

MDD123 wrote:
Having your life revolve around school is a pretty good way to succeed. Be sure to minimize anything that gets in the way (ie; mobile devices) and be very protective of your 8hrs of sleep per night.

30 minutes of cardio at least every other day will go a long way towards keeping your head in the game. That will put you in the best position to learn whatever you need to learn. Just remember how much you hate $7.50 an hour.

I totally support what you say. It took me a long time to realize this, since I come from a family that values hard work, "work" "work" "work", and all that does is put me behind in life. I can't do 30-40 hr work weeks and try to manage college, then get a new job, and go right back to the bottom.

But as I age, I can see the flaws of my actions and my own limits. If I could do things differently, I would had pull out loans and go with the nursing field right from the gecko, and not commute 30 miles to college lol.

excercise helps a lot too.

Alizee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Mar 2013, 6:04 pm

starkid wrote:
Alizee wrote:

Ok, but if you're not really interested in the schoolwork, are you sure you'll be interested in performing the job duties?
Quote:

Depending on the number of hours worked, one could survive on that if one was willing to drastically reduce one's living expenses. I don't know where you live, but the military and various sorts of apprenticeships might be alternatives to college that suit you. There are also vocational programs that are shorter than nursing school.

Sure. a job is a job. It's not a bad job either, helping people and such. There are a ton worse jobs than this for the pay. It's probably the only thing I can do, besides pharmacy, but I don't want to go to pharmacy because of the time involve. I rather just buy houses with money I can make now while the market is low, and make passive income. I doubt I can go through biochem and high science classes.... so pharmacy is out too.

I don't see any vocational programs besides cosmetology in my area, and I look into that, but the pay isn't good enough for the cost of school. I'm indifferent about that too.

and most importantly, I will feel like a loser if I don't have a degree.... so going to college is partly my self-esteem. If you ask me 2 yrs I would probably tell you college is stupid and pointless...

My college is free, hypothetically I think it last for 10 yrs, for any community college in my state.

PresidentPorpoise
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2013, 6:42 pm

How are your grades right now? I believe that in order to become a nurse these you would need to go to school for how many years minimum? Six? Do you need an undergraduate degree to get into a program? And remember, nursing is sometimes made out to be a simple, "cute" field so far as medical professions go, but that's largely a bunch of patronizing bs. Nursing is a serious field, and you say that it would be cool to help people, which is awesome, but I would definitely make sure I was passionate about any sort of medical profession before committing myself to it. Also, check and make sure that with your GPA and whatnot you'll be a competitive candidate for nursing school. This is stuff you should probably be looking into pretty seriously, if you aren't already.

I am also a college student disappointed in my own lack of dedication, and I can empathize with your fears about what to do after college. I would say that MDD123, and Fnord both had excellent advice. Especially the bit about there being "no "royal road" to success". Be proactive about what you want to do, because even if you do have a degree, that degree certainly isn't going to magically give you a good job.

Anyway, good luck to you! I hope that either nursing school works out for you, or you find something else that you're passionate about.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 8:36 pm

PresidentPorpoise wrote:
How are your grades right now? I believe that in order to become a nurse these you would need to go to school for how many years minimum? Six? Do you need an undergraduate degree to get into a program? And remember, nursing is sometimes made out to be a simple, "cute" field so far as medical professions go, but that's largely a bunch of patronizing bs. Nursing is a serious field, and you say that it would be cool to help people, which is awesome, but I would definitely make sure I was passionate about any sort of medical profession before committing myself to it. Also, check and make sure that with your GPA and whatnot you'll be a competitive candidate for nursing school. This is stuff you should probably be looking into pretty seriously, if you aren't already.

I am also a college student disappointed in my own lack of dedication, and I can empathize with your fears about what to do after college. I would say that MDD123, and Fnord both had excellent advice. Especially the bit about there being "no "royal road" to success". Be proactive about what you want to do, because even if you do have a degree, that degree certainly isn't going to magically give you a good job.

Anyway, good luck to you! I hope that either nursing school works out for you, or you find something else that you're passionate about.

Or, to quote the old Roger Miller song, "Knucke Down, buckle down, DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!! !! (Study and work your arse off).

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 9:27 am

I'm pretty sure that RNs only have to complete two years, which is 48 credit hours, an Associate's degree. I think you said you wanted to finish in one year? Starting at twelve credit hours, you can take six during summer, twelve during fall, six during winter, and that leaves twelve for spring, and then you have your AA/AS and can start working.

The best advice I can give is to think long and hard about what your interests are and what you're good at. I started as a PoliSci major, and I loved those classes and had to put barely any effort into them, and I aced it. I switched to Biology, and while I'm not bad, and straight awesome at Bio specifically, the things like Chemistry and Calculus require a lot more effort and bore me. As a result, I'm far less enthusiastic this semester than last, and it's much harder for me to keep my grades up, because I just don't care.

Also, exercise is awesome. Wake up well before your first class, and go for a jog or a mile walk. It helps shake off the dullness that makes me want to sit around all day.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 5:42 pm

RN is usually a two year program.

Lots of people get their RN, then get a job and use tuition benefits to get their Bachlor's in nursing.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 5:59 pm

If at first you don't succeed, study study again.