Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 10:33 pm

All right for those who have gone to both, I wanted to know what are your experiences? For me my main classes are online and my other classes well, I finished them early so I don't have to go to them. Anyways, I'm studying Library Science and want to know if I should continue my education from a 2 year degree(AAS getting pretty soon) to a 4 year degree? What I want to know is if I get a 2 year degree and transfer to a 4 year school would I have to take 4 more years or just 2 more years to get the degree I want?
Also would it behoove me to get my 4 year degree online, or would it be better on campus? Right now at Spokane Falls Community College, I have to say that I like most of on campus professors more so than online professors. The thing is though with University on campus is that I would likely have to move, lose my current job(which I DON'T want to do) and get more loans(which I don't want to do), but online school usually bores me/or I misread many assignments(as in the instructions aren't clear and I wind up having to talk to the professor at campus anyways to get things clarified), and with online school I don't get accommodations. For my online classes I usually wind up using my webcam with a bunch of other students to attend the 'chat/live lecture section(open office hours)' and/or going to talk with the actual professor on campus during more open office hours(After my other on campus classes are done that is).

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 6:54 am

I'm unclear about your question.

College and University are largely synonymous. A college tends to be a subset of a university (e.g., University of Wyoming had a college of law, college of business, etc. on campus). Most 4-year institutions just call themselves a college.

As far as in-person vs. online. Online invariably costs much more. In the end, if it's a respected school (not University of Phoenix), the degree is the same when you finish in the eyes of employers.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 9:03 am

The OP Is actually asking about community college vs 4 year college and online vs brick and motor schools.

If you transfer from a community college to a 4 year college, you would only take 2 years there because your 2 years in CC would transfer (unless you change majors or something.)

If your going to do online, make sure you get a degree from an accredited, respected school. There are a lot of online schools that get very little respect, like Phoenix. I would look for an online program from an established university.

My friend is a librarian, you need the bachelor's and ultimately master's degree to move up in the library system.

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 2:06 pm

All right thank you all for the responses.
I all ready work in a Library, as such I'm trying to further up my position/pay. I'm not going for a Bachelors Degree, I'm going for my AAS degree in library and information services/school library media technician. What I notice though is most Library positions require an AA degree and generally a couple of years(1-3) of direct customer service. Ive worked as an Intern, and my current job doesn't count as customer service, so I was wondering if getting a 2nd job working for Taco Time OFFICIALLY(I have been offered a job there)hopefully part-time would be a good idea? My current job(not planning on giving it up) hours vary, as does school, so would employers and my school have to make sure I can do all 3?

cammyyy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2013, 12:18 am

I'm Canadian so it's probably a bit different, but I did a 2 year diploma at a community college for Police Foundations and am doing some bridging courses over the summer to go into third year Criminology at university. I found community college was a lot more hands-on assignments, whereas (so far) university has been a LOT more reading and writing papers. University is also a hell of a lot more expensive too.

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 8:41 pm

cammyyy wrote:
I'm Canadian so it's probably a bit different, but I did a 2 year diploma at a community college for Police Foundations and am doing some bridging courses over the summer to go into third year Criminology at university. I found community college was a lot more hands-on assignments, whereas (so far) university has been a LOT more reading and writing papers. University is also a hell of a lot more expensive too.

Really now? I guess that means I'm going to have to find a hands on University then, hope its close by, and get another/bigger student loan!

Khoma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jun 2013, 6:40 am

Iirc (I hope Canadians can confirm/deny) Canadian colleges tend to be of a much lower level compared to Canadian universities. They're also more vocational.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 1:02 am

Khoma wrote:
Iirc (I hope Canadians can confirm/deny) Canadian colleges tend to be of a much lower level compared to Canadian universities. They're also more vocational.

Our "college" is your community college; where you learn how to be a dental assistant, plumber, electrician, cop etc...

University is for the 'real' education like math, science, psychology, languages etc.

For example, in college you learn "Information Technology" (whatever the hell that is - how to use google and install chrome plug-ins?) and in University you learn Computer Science.