Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

manav95
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 May 2013, 2:34 pm

For all of my fellow aspies and ASD people, I have just given my valedictorian speech at graduation. And it was well received. When i recounted my struggles, so elegantly and professionally, people actually cried. My story has inspired a lot of people to focus and try in life. For those of you struggling to seek acceptance and fit in on this planet, don't lose hope. I too was once like you, lost and alone. But now I made it, and you guys can too.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 6:42 pm

this is kinda weird.

BigSnoopy126
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2013, 9:03 am

Awesome! that is so exciting!

I get such a thrill out of stories like this. With my several handicaps I have always wanted to see people succeed and encourage others, to the point where it really bothers me when people try to tear others down instead of building them up. I probably had to high of an expectation that others would do the same in school, and one kid I played a lot with when younger was not like this, which is why we drifted apart.

I'm sure that your story can be a great inspiration to many. Sometimes we go through struggles just for that reason, so others can see it's possible.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 7:04 pm

1401b wrote:
this is kinda weird.

I don't see how it's weird at all. It's quite an accomplishment, and he is obviously (and should be) very proud of himself!

BigSnoopy126
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2013, 8:07 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
1401b wrote:
this is kinda weird.

I don't see how it's weird at all. It's quite an accomplishment, and he is obviously (and should be) very proud of himself!

Perhaps 1401b thinks that people being encouraged by the speech is weird.

I remember that - in coming here off and on over the years - someone once posted a thread where they thought it very odd that someone would want them as a role model. It can seem weird that others would want to follow in our footsteps if the focus is only on the fact that we, ourselves, often have difficulty with social and life situations. and therefore think we have little to offer.

However, the focus in this situation should be on the fact that manav95 has overcome these challenges. This can inspire someone to achieve who has other challenges, not just an Autism Spectrum Disorder. So, manav95 does have something to offer others and a reason to be a role mofel for others.

manav95
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jun 2013, 9:27 pm

Well at least I know what I want to do in life. Other than making piles of money.

slushy9
Raven
Raven

01 Jul 2013, 10:23 am

Gratz! I was valedictorian in middle school and could easily attain highest average in hs but got debilitating sensory issues. Hoping to become vale. in college. This gives me hope lol. Congratulations on your achievement!

TiredMom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jul 2013, 10:55 pm

Congratulations! Being a valedictorian is a big deal, and it sounds like your speech was great.