Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2013, 12:37 pm

Epsilon wrote:
I am in public highschool and the gap between the interests teachers of the same subject is only one thing that startles me. An example is a science teacher I had last year; I asked a fairly basic question relevant to the material and the teacher sort of brushed me off by stating "that not part of this curriculum but is in a higher level version of the class." I didn't ask it to get an A on a test, I was genuinely interested. But good grades on tests seem to be the only interest some teachers have..
Another issue is the (modern day) "Powerpoint teacher"s that have grown in population. They show a powerpoint and read straight off of it without going into further depth. So without anything to supplement it I can forget what was on the show after a test where you just regurgitate the material.

My school promotes problem solving and all those tools "needed for success" but it doesn't take a lot of problem solving to look the answer up on a phone-with the teacher standing obliviously ten feet away too. The closest thing I've seen to problem solving so far is figuring out the best technological excuses for why you didn't do your homework-they work wonders on a teacher who doesn't isn't keen on computers.

Kids get mad if the teacher doesn't tell them the answer or doesn't let them look up essays while they are writing what is supposed to be their own.

Of course I have met many good teachers who have adapted to the times yet still have old traditions, which in my experience works best

tldr:
This brings me to my question-what should a (high school?) teacher in today's modern world be like? What class structure/techniques would classify them as good?
Should they let you use the ever-increasing presence of the Internet which I assume most high schools have? Turn you into a memorizing test taking factory? Of course no teacher can be perfect, and there are money constraints, but teachers can still be effective in different ways. The ineffectiveness of some teaching methods is what I feel is missing in schools today.

Check out "common core" if you're in the states. in 2014 public school teachers are gonna switch over to a new standard that stresses inquiry on both the students and the teachers part. You pretty much nailed in on what problems this new common core is supposed to fix.

I'm in school to become a teacher and they're starting to train us on these new methods which include more discussion, having kids create arguments and back them up with sources, getting kids to ask more questions, there's a stress on reading and writing, and generally going for a more involved classroom with a lot of back and forth from teacher to student. It's all worked out, age appropriate, and starts in kindergarten. I just started learning about it, but I'm pretty excited.

You definitely picked up on what's wrong with teaching....nice work:)

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 3:00 pm

A good teacher engages students and gets them to think about both sides of an issue. A good teacher imparts knowledge and encourages students to learn more.

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2013, 4:16 pm

knowbody15 wrote:

Check out "common core" if you're in the states. in 2014 public school teachers are gonna switch over to a new standard that stresses inquiry on both the students and the teachers part. You pretty much nailed in on what problems this new common core is supposed to fix.

I'm in school to become a teacher and they're starting to train us on these new methods which include more discussion, having kids create arguments and back them up with sources, getting kids to ask more questions, there's a stress on reading and writing, and generally going for a more involved classroom with a lot of back and forth from teacher to student. It's all worked out, age appropriate, and starts in kindergarten. I just started learning about it, but I'm pretty excited.

You definitely picked up on what's wrong with teaching....nice work:)

Somehow I don't think all the teachers will switch right away if it means spending more time coming up with lesson plans. And with tenure involved... But I could just be being pessimistic.

Thanks for letting me know.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Oct 2013, 1:33 pm

I lucked out a lot at my school, I'll just say that now.

The teachers here are just so great. They're extremely passionate about what they do, and most of the students that go to my school trust the teachers more than their own family. One teacher in particular helped me come out of my social shell, and helped me develop myself until I was happy with I way I am. I didn't have very much confidence in my abilities or myself until I met this guy. He's also the type of person who'll ask you "How are you doing today?" and genuinely mean it. My teachers are fun to be around, and they always answer any questions I have.

Even the substitutes are kind and passionate. I guess that's just what I get for going to a school with less than 800 students. :)

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 11:01 pm

Musicgirl wrote:
I think that teachers should take the time to help students with the lesson and be passionate about what they teach.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

THOSE are the kinds of teachers/professors I work the best with; I don't just wanna be stuck with some guy reading from a textbook in a monotone voice. :roll:

My Chemistry teacher in high school was actually very passionate about the stuff he taught.