Help! Computer science course/career crisis!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AtlasOwl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2016, 2:09 am

Wow, it's been a really long time since I posted here, but I don't really have anyone in my life that I can talk to about this, so I'm hoping someone here will have some good advice.

So here's the story (I'll try to make it as short as possible).

I'm currently completing my first year of a Computer Science degree online through a university in another state. However, it's starting to get really lonely and I've decided that for next year I'm going to transfer my course to a university much closer to home so I can attend on campus.

The dilemma with this is when it comes to getting course credit. The university that I want to transfer my course to has a fantastic Computer Science program, but because the subjects don't really match up well with what I've done, I may have to do another three years on top of the year I'm currently completing.

Now the real crisis I'm having is this: I'm currently 26 years old, living at home with my parents and no job. I have relatives that are happy to have me when I move to the city to complete my course at the new university, but my crisis is in terms of career prospects. If I transfer my course to the university I want, I won't be graduating until I'm 30, and that scares the crap out of me. I'll be looking for probably an entry-level job going up against people who may have more years of experience, or more years of education under their belt, and I'm honestly terrified just thinking about it.

Now, there is another university that I could transfer my course to, and there I could probably get my degree done in another two years instead of three, but the Computer Science course isn't anywhere near as good, and it just doesn't give me the subjects that I want.

I guess my main issue with this is that I'm really terrified about trying to get into the industry at 29/30, but also that I have student debt piling up with every subject that I undertake, and I really need to make a decision that I can be happy with.

I'm causing myself some serious stress just thinking about all of this, and I'm really hoping that there may be someone (hopefully in the software/computer industry maybe?) that could offer me any and all possible advice.

Thank you.

startide_rising
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Aug 2016, 10:51 pm

I'm not in computer science, but starting a first job in a new field at 29 or 30 doesn't seem all that old to me. I'm 27 and didn't really even have a solid sense of what I wanted to do with my life until I was 25, when I decided I wanted to become a biologist.

It might be different in Australia, but at least here in the USA it seems increasingly common for young adults to take a number of years either before or after college to figure out what they really want to do in terms of their careers. It's also becoming more common for people to switch careers relatively late in life.

My gut instinct is that you should transfer to the university where you think the program is stronger and where the classes are more in line with your interests. Even if that means an extra year before you graduate, at least you'll enjoy your studies more and be more engaged in your learning. I'd expect (or at least hope) that those things would translate into more enthusiastic references and better job prospects when you graduate, especially if that university's name is better recognized or their computer science program is particularly well respected.

By the way, have you actually talked to anyone at the university you like about transferring your credits there? If not, try to do so sooner rather than later. Perhaps they'll be able to transfer more of your credits than you're anticipating, which would make the choice a little easier.

Good luck with your decision!

KingLeonidas
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Sep 2016, 3:37 pm

My have a Family Member whos Taking a 3 years course at 60 Years Old. Dont worry you have time.