Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Genosha
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Nov 2013, 1:35 pm

I'm a High-School Junior with relatively High-Functioning Autism. I recently went to an open house at Loyola and a brief chat with a representative for the disability accommodation administration for the university. I was not entirely convinced but I don't want to eliminate the school from my options so I'd like to here some first (or second) hand accounts of what the accommodations and alternative learning environments are like at the University; specifically housing and board accommodations.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 5:17 pm

I don't know how relevant this is, but colleges are not allowed to get too specific with disability accommodations until you confirm your attendance at the university. Remember that accommodations are designed to level the playing field. Many students were "accommodation shopping" seeing which school would give the best accommodations instead of just the needed ones.

Genosha
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2013, 1:22 pm

While I am sure that "accommodation shopping" is done, I do not believe that it occurs too frequently, especially not at my level of severity. Also, that concept may prove detrimental to the public perception of alternative learners, coming dangerously close to painting them as people mooching off of liberal quackery.

Regardless, I've had some less than favorable experiences with the general administration of learning services in schools and I would just like t see I fI could get any response from this board.

Thanks for your time, though.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 3:15 pm

I worked for 2 years in a disability office. I've seen my fair share of accommodation shopping.

I'm just expressing why you may have run into trouble.