Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Have you taken/passed your driving test?
Yes, I passed my test and I can drive. :-) 75%  75%  [ 12 ]
Not yet, but I'm working on it. 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
I'm not sure / I'm not ready yet. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, I can't drive and don't want to try. 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 2:02 pm

Many years ago, I took my driving test. Three times.
This was one of the most stressful experiences of my life - and yet also a very useful one. I learned something from my second test - it's okay to fail.

I went into my third driving test just looking to do my best and let fate decide... and my stress was much reduced, to the point that I performed better and passed.

My full story: http://freedom-muse.com/2014/04/28/how- ... etting-go/

How many of you can drive, or hope to?

GreyMatter
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2014, 5:25 pm

I took my driving test six times! After I passed I drove on my own a few times and then I concluded that I simply am not made for it, which truly saddened me as driving was always something I had looked forward to.

I take ritalin now and I am thinking that I should give it another try to see if it improves my ability to focus in front of the wheel, but I am in no hurry... I have a valid public transit pass through to the end of the year. :S

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 6:25 pm

I didn't get my license until age 37. I took a test when I was 32, and I failed.

I only learned to drive when I was forced to drive by myself without an instructor. This is a true story!

I took 70+ lessons when I was 32. I failed the test miserably.

I took no lessons at age 37. I passed with flying colors.

This doesn't mean everybody should just "wing it" like I did.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 6:26 pm

When did you pass your drivers' test? Are you sure you have to take the road test again? You seem like a young person.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 7:42 pm

GreyMatter wrote:
I took my driving test six times! After I passed I drove on my own a few times and then I concluded that I simply am not made for it, which truly saddened me as driving was always something I had looked forward to.

I take ritalin now and I am thinking that I should give it another try to see if it improves my ability to focus in front of the wheel, but I am in no hurry... I have a valid public transit pass through to the end of the year. :S

I take stimulants and don't feel safe driving without them. I've always found driving harder than my peers. I took private, individual driving lessons -- twice (as in, two full courses, not 2 times driving) and then took my test.

I passed the first time, though, as a teen. I kind of never thought I should have passed. I popped a curb, ran a red light, and botched the parallel parking portion. I don't know why the tester passed me, but he did.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 7:49 pm

That would NOT happen in NYC LOL. When I was 32, I think I parallel-parked badly--so I failed. I finally passed at age 37.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 7:59 pm

It really shouldn't happen anywhere...I ran a red light!

I'm an overly cautious driver now. And don't drive when I can avoid it. I also make everyone be silent when I drive. :P :oops:

There are too many different things to pay attention to at the same time. I always leave something out (most typically, speed...I usually drive too slow).

What is everyone else's issue with driving well?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 8:55 pm

People are impatient on the roads. On highways, 10 mph over the speed limit is the norm.

What drivers don't realize: when one goes 5-10 miles, like they usually do in NYC, it takes almost as much time to reach a destination going 50 mph as going 60 mph. Even at 40 mph, it doesn't make much difference. It's a matter of a couple of minutes' difference AT MOST.

GreyMatter

28 Apr 2014, 9:22 pm

screen_name wrote:
It really shouldn't happen anywhere...I ran a red light!

I'm an overly cautious driver now. And don't drive when I can avoid it. I also make everyone be silent when I drive. :P :oops:

There are too many different things to pay attention to at the same time. I always leave something out (most typically, speed...I usually drive too slow).

What is everyone else's issue with driving well?

Mine is that I really cannot predict the other drivers' behaviour, plus that while I know I am supposed to keep a certain focus on the road and the sides of the road, I see the birds on the light posts, the yard signs, the foliage, the clouds. I just take it all in.

Oh, and the worst part (and this is very embarrassing), I never remember which pedal is which or which lever does what, so every time I got in the driver's seat I had to remind myself before taking off. I use that as an example whenever my mum points out that shouldn't fail so miserably at some seemingly simple things since I am objectively intelligent.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 9:29 pm

My dad does that!!

I remember many times as a kid riding in the car and coming up to a stop light and hear this conversation:

Dad: which pedal, which pedal? (All panicky)
Mom: left
Dad: red is stop? (completely not joking)
Mom: pull over, let me drive

But, he's a very intelligent man. He is also ridiculously awful at operating a phone.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 9:37 pm

How'd your dad do at rotary phones?

Then again LOL...come to think of it, you probably have never seen a rotary phone LOL

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 10:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
How'd your dad do at rotary phones?

Then again LOL...come to think of it, you probably have never seen a rotary phone LOL

I have. :P

We used to own one when I was a kid. It was the one my mom brought outside when we went swimming. ...and we had a phone booth one (what are those called?).

But, certainly, they were not popular in my lifespan.

And I have no idea how he handled it. With the regular phone, he would always get mad at it for "beeping" at him. Then, when we got a cordless phone, he NEVER understood that he could leave the room with it.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 10:22 pm

I took my learner's exam once without actually studying the book, and naturally I failed. I figured it was worth a shot anyhow since it's free the first time. I've tried to read the book several times, but it always bores me to death and I can't focus on it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 11:55 pm

The phones in the old phone booths were called, simply, phones. There used to be phones on the wall-called wall phones. Then we had the desk-sets--phones which stood on desks. We didn't buy phones until the1980s. They were installed by Ma Bell. We RENTED them.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 7:02 am

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
Many years ago, I took my driving test. Three times.
This was one of the most stressful experiences of my life - and yet also a very useful one. I learned something from my second test - it's okay to fail.

I went into my third driving test just looking to do my best and let fate decide... and my stress was much reduced, to the point that I performed better and passed.

Sounds like my story. I also passed my 3rd time by letting go.

My first try was funny though. I got into the car and did correctly the parking part. But they told me to do it again. So I did. Correctly again. Then they told me I failed. Why? I was driving with hand brake on and forgot to put it down. -_- The examiner told me it was a small mistake so although I failed the test I can go to the city and change the test to a lesson. I already paid to attend the exam so I decided - why not? At least I will know how the exam looks like.
It was quite funny. I did a few mistakes but I learned what I shouldn't do on exam. Good lesson.
After a hour I returned to the parking and got out of the car with a huge smile on my face. People waiting for their turn started to say:
- Guys, I bet she passed! Look at her face.
- Hey! You passed, right?!
Then I looked at them and (still smiling) said:
- What? No... I didn't. But it was fun anyway!
:lol:

2nd try was a total fail. The weather was ugly and the windows in the car got foggy. I didn't feel comfortable with the car and had no idea how to clean the windows (if it was my car I would use a cloth, but in this one I couldn't find any). So I decided I will try the parking part with the windows foggy. Of course I failed. It was a serious mistake (hitting a bollard) so they didn't let me go to the city this time.

3rd time I was pretty sure I am going to fail. I was sick (cough, runny nose, fever) and I focused more on hiding my condition then the exam. They wouldn't let me try if they realized I am sick and I couldn't delay the exam because I would have to take additional lessons and another theory exam - it was almost 6 months already since my course ended. And the waiting time between exams was about 2 months no matter if you failed or delayed it. So I decided I will just try my best and hope luck will be on my side.
And it was (but more it was my attention to details and carefulness). We come to a crossroad where my road had priority. I looked both sides anyway and then I realized a car is forcing on me from the slave road. I pushed the brake and ... the brake escaped from my feet. Our car stopped. I looked at the examiner, he looked at me and we were both like "Who the hell steal the brake from me!?!". Apparently we pushed the brake at the same time. :D Probably in the moment he decided I passed.
I did some light mistakes during the exam (the examiner was keep telling me I am doing something wrong and insulting me for nothing, I bet he didn't like me) so I was sure I didn't pass. Then, when we returned to the parking the examiner said:
- Positive.
My mind went like "What? Wait! What the hell? Could it be? Did I? Did I?!" and I asked:
- Does it mean I passed!?!
- If you don't know what positive means get a dictionary. - he answered.
I wasn't too sure (positive="good, decent, ok, acceptable" for me but I know people can say something good and mean something bad - for example "You genius." doesn't necessary mean someone consider you smart) but everyone I asked later told me "Positive" means I passed the exam so it was probably it. I got sure after 2 weeks when I got my documents. 8)

Last edited by Kiriae on 29 Apr 2014, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 7:33 am

Is driving in Poland difficult?