Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

LuigiDude
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jul 2014, 12:44 pm

Hey, guys. There's something that I need to discuss with you guys, and it's about college.

I'm going to start my freshman year at college in a month, and to be honest with you, I'm pretty scared about it. It's just hit me that in a month, I'm going to leave home, possible end my relationships with my high school friends, and start a new life at college, as well as living on my own for the first time. That realization hit me like a ton of bricks, and it makes me nervous. Honestly, I don't know if I'm ready for college; I feel that it's a HUGE leap for me, and I don't know if I will be able to handle it. I'll have to do things on my own in college, and I'm scared that I'll f**k up and make myself look like a moron who can't take care of himself, disappoint my parents & make my dad angry at me, and look like a fool in comparison to my brother & sister (who are going to separate colleges, btw). Furthermore, I fear that my autism will cause problems for me in college.

In general, I'm afraid of screwing up in college, and not having a good time at college. Has anyone else here been through the same things as me? If so, then do you guys have any advice for me on what i should do?

shadowpuzzle
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jul 2014, 12:57 pm

I was going to go to college right after high school. Didn't know what I wanted to do, didn't care what college I went to, but felt I had to go because it was expected of me. Picked a school at random, and when I got there on move in day I had a panic attack. Went straight back home and have not attempted since. I am still scared of going to school, I don't think it would be good for my anxiety.

Unfortunately, I have no degree and so my life is hard. I have a physical labor job that I actually like, but I don't know how I can do it forever, when I am older. I don't have much advice on how to get by in college, but it's definitely a good idea for you to give it a good try. As hard as it will be, your life will be easier when you can have an ASD-friendly career, rather than a job like I have right now.

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 3:49 pm

It's okay to feel scared and overwhelmed. Like you said, this is a huge step. I bet that many of your new classmates are feeling the same way. Out of curiosity, are you going to live in a dorm or off-campus apt?

In regards to your high school friends, just remember to stay in touch with them. Make an effort to call/text them and ask how they're doing. During your school breaks, you can come home and arrange a get-together.

You'll do well; just take it one day at at time, if you need to. College is what you make of it. You can also ask your school regarding disability accommodations if you're concerned that your autism will affect your studies/exam days/etc.

Hope that helps.

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 7:12 pm

I was terrified when I started college. I know it's hard, but try to take it one day at a time.

I think you should concentrate on your school-work, it's harder for me to handle in college and you'll need to do well in your classes. I'd recommend taking a break sometimes to relax and have fun. Even though I think you should look for friends in a club or special-interest group, you can find friends anywhere...I found one of my closest friends in the middle of the night because of a fire-drill :)

23andaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2014, 5:50 am

LuigiDude wrote:
Hey, guys. There's something that I need to discuss with you guys, and it's about college.

I'm going to start my freshman year at college in a month, and to be honest with you, I'm pretty scared about it. It's just hit me that in a month, I'm going to leave home, possible end my relationships with my high school friends, and start a new life at college, as well as living on my own for the first time. That realization hit me like a ton of bricks, and it makes me nervous. Honestly, I don't know if I'm ready for college; I feel that it's a HUGE leap for me, and I don't know if I will be able to handle it. I'll have to do things on my own in college, and I'm scared that I'll f**k up and make myself look like a moron who can't take care of himself, disappoint my parents & make my dad angry at me, and look like a fool in comparison to my brother & sister (who are going to separate colleges, btw). Furthermore, I fear that my autism will cause problems for me in college.

In general, I'm afraid of screwing up in college, and not having a good time at college. Has anyone else here been through the same things as me? If so, then do you guys have any advice for me on what i should do?

Everyone's experience is different, but I honestly had the best time of my life while in college. What makes you think you will be unable to handle it, or make yourself look like a moron? Remember that everyone else is going through the exact same transition. What sort of things do you think the autism will affect the most?

I went to a large public university, so it was easy to meet many different kinds of people. I'm not sure what your college is like, but I want to say that in college, it's like everyone has a small dose of Aspie-ness in them - majors are like special interests, after all. My sister / roommate is also attending the same university and seems to be doing well there. At competitive universities, people are very focused on studies and generally prioritize over (some) social endeavors. College is suited well for those who can sit and study for long periods of time, so I'd advise you to pursue a degree in something you are truly interested in.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I hope this was at least somewhat helpful.

Axis I: 299.80 Asperger's Syndrome, 314.00 Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Inattentive Type
Blog: http://www.23andaspie.com