Story/Narrative thinker, prefer one technical class at time

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 1:24 pm

My main preferred intellectual style is as a Story / Narrative thinker.

And when I was back in college starting way back in 1982, taking three technical classes at one time could really throw me for a loop. And I count as technical subjects math of course, and also economics, astronomy, linguistics, chemistry, physics. It's like I have to translate the technical subject into language, for example, " . . . and at this point the graph explodes upward . . . ", translating either for myself or someone else.

For me, biology and geology are two sciences that take more of the Story / Narrative approach.

So, I do best with one technical subject and my other three classes draw from such subjects as psychology, anthropology, sociology, history, political science, speech, English literature, philosophy, etc, etc, etc. For me, these are much better bets. And yes, I did best with 12 hours a semester. In fact, if I had it to do all over again, I might experiment with working at part-time job for about 20 hours a week and only taking three classes for a total of 9 semester hours.

Temple Grandin describes this style as Verbal Logic, Language Translation, Word Thinkers, might know lots and lots of facts, often loves history, such thinkers might make good journalists, terrible at drawing. Mmm, just to show that people are complex. I'm fair at drawing.

=============

Here's a speech Temple gave in 2007. Please see 21:00 into it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEAhMEgGOQ[/youtube]