Should I just get over with it and tell my classmates?!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

D0gbert
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Oct 2014, 2:11 am

I will be getting a lot of rotations and practicals involving my small (in university terms) class. I might be mixed up with people I feel comfortable with and others whom I don't really know at all.

Will it be a good idea to give them a heads up that I sometimes relapse and do inappropriate things eg being insensitive, overly blunt, not reading body language etc.
because, you know, not because I'm an as*hole, but because I don't understand those things?

Gah...

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2014, 3:00 am

They might take it as you using it as an excuse. I only would in the case of an apology.

D0gbert
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Oct 2014, 3:03 am

That's what I was afraid of as well. The people I got along with didn't give a s**t when I told them. Hell, one actually told me that she had suspicions but felt it was rude to ask.

But with the others... I'm conflicted.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 8:02 am

I wouldn't tell them you have Asperger's/Autism, unless the subject is broached in an objective matter. I would just apologize if someone gets offended. I would state things in general terms: something like "Sometimes, I'm insensitive when I don't mean to be."

geod23
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2014, 10:33 pm

I think you should tell them. That's what I did when some people at my table were kind of laughing at me. When I told them that I had Asperger's, they actually got kind of interested about what it was. Now, they don't laugh at me or others in the classroom who have or might have it. It all turned out for the best. :wink:

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 8:38 am

geod23 wrote:
I think you should tell them. That's what I did when some people at my table were kind of laughing at me. When I told them that I had Asperger's, they actually got kind of interested about what it was. Now, they don't laugh at me or others in the classroom who have or might have it. It all turned out for the best. :wink:

Dood.

That's nice to hear. Glad it worked out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 8:45 am

I'm glad it worked out for you, too.

In my day, If I would have mentioned I had something like Asperger's, everybody would have started running to get their "cootie shots."

That would have exacerbated the bullying, teasing, etc. that I was experiencing.